What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Yeah, more in line with that article. He's saying that as hunter foragers we had a very varied diet, and because of that, a varied physical life, as well as more mentally stimulating. We couldn't over populate because traveling with babies is hard, so we'd space them out. If one food source had a bad year we'd turn to another.

When we started farming (obviously a gradual process), it meant we relied on a much narrower diet, and if it had a bad year people starved. Instead of varying activities we now have to spend whole days weeding fields and carrying water. Apparently, studying skeletons indicates that this is when we started suffering hernias, slipped discs, etc.
    Also, though we could produce more food in one area, this is when we started having more children, offsetting the ease of more food.

Those are the main points, the book is more thorough. Yuval Noah Harari is the author.

Meliai and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats an interesting topic, and I tend to agree.

It's fun to imagine what life would be like if we were still hunter gatherers. Would we have advanced technologically to the same extent?

I think I might add this book to my to read list

3. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Highly recommended.
    I'm only 1/4 through it... It's about a lot more than just that topic.

4. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

And yes, I was thinking about this and what form it would take.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I definitely disagree about the agricultural revolution not being a good t hing for humans. Just inventarize what you dig in life. Or what makes it bearable.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Highly unlikely. As usual the best option lies in a mix of both. But developing agriculture paved the way for more time to invest in other stuff

wilsjane likes this.
  7. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Architectural books to help me with the design of a complex staircase. LOL
    Retirement is supposed to make life simpler, but at least I wont die of boredom.

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Like every advance in technology, it failed because it was used for all the wrong reasons.
    As a child, my parents spent 50% of their income on food. Today, the figure is below 20% and all this has done is to inflate the price of property.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I don't think we started having more children, I think the infant and child mortality and rate has fallen.

10. Introduction to Terrariums, a step by step guide
    1972 Nash Publishing
    Library of Congress 72-81856

No barcode
    No USBN

11. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Okay, well I have no idea, I haven't done my own research. The information is from the book, which cites sources but I haven't got it right here to check them.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

20181229_153818.jpg

I took a book from this sweet little sideways library today.

A book on state parks across America. It was published in the 80s so what I really wanna know is, is the rope swing pictured in Tishomingo Park still there?

It has a name and date handwritten in it. I love love used books for this reason. You always find little treats in them. I noticed another book I picked up recently is inscribed - "Remember when we went to the bookstore and you were so sad and I bought you this book and it made you so happy?"

MeAgain and EloiseAtThePlaza like this.
  13. Opera ghost

Opera ghost Members

I just finished the Rigate series by David Gemmell. It was wonderful. The best I’ve read from him.

14. Oh what book was it?

I am so glad you took the picture.
    So these really do exist :)

15. Anyways, I read a few short stories by Dostoevsky last night.

I'm not into it.

16. I give up. I have to finish.
    It's looking at me, mocking me.

[​IMG]

17. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I finally rented "Gendered Worlds" for the upcoming sociology course... It's an electronic version. I have it for 180 days if memory serves.

18. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.