What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

One of Asimov's Sci Fi anthologies.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Which one? I'm a big fan of his.

4. MeAgain

Well, they aren't his stories, they're short stories that he, Martin Greenberg, and Joseph Olander have selected for inclusion. It was originally two volumes combined into one.
    The stories range from 1938 to 1979. Some well known authors and some one timers.
    A complete list is in the Amazon comments section.

Some pretty good stuff.
    I think I've read all of Asimov's Sci-Fi stuff.

McFuddy likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I've been listening to The Silmarillion on audiobook at work today. Its a difficult one for audiobook, its hard to keep all the names straight without seeing them spelled out. But i'm enjoying it thus far

MeAgain likes this.
  6. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

The Jim.y page book and one I found in the pile of crappy books here in the.hotel called "roofworld" about spooky gory shit going on over the roofs of London
    Like the Mary Poppins chainsaw massacre !

7. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

I want to start the Vampire Chronicles because I've never actually read them. I'm not sure how I feel about Anne Rice though lol born agains always make me wary.

Irminsul likes this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I loved the vampire chronicles. They're beautiful but there's a ton and ton of talking and history. I'm into that stuff and mythology and ancient culture so I was always going to like it. Except for the last few books kind of went away, but the first 4 or 5 are good.

la Principessa likes this.
  9. la Principessa

Good to know. I read the synopses and I was thinking the last few seemed less appealing. I know what you mean though. I used to read archaeological books when I was a kid for fun lol

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well she went from being an Atheist to finding religion during the series, so it just fell apart at the end it was really disappointing really. Tried to mix like, vampires, warewolves, witches and aliens or some shit together or a secret race of giants. I dunno, all fluff. Up until she introduces them after Blood Canticle which I think is Marius' story, they were pretty interesting. Honestly though, you could miss Interview with a Vampire, I didn't think much of it. I was told to read the 2nd book first, as it explains the first book, Interview. But it was sooooo much better than interview with a vampire was lol.

11. la Principessa

Have you seen the movies? Are they pretty true to the books? Because I've seen Interview and Queen of the Damned. I still want to read them but I'm curious.

Yeah, I saw that. It seemed kind of confusing, especially the one about Atlantis. I was like...huh??

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I haven't seen Queen of the Damned because I honestly loved the book so much I couldn't justify watching the movie.
    Interview is actually pretty similar to the book, one of the more true to book films I've seen, but you'll never picture the actors as the characters, it just did not work for me.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Here is a photo of my most recent book case which I am trying to piece together. Vampires are on top shelf. :)

20180914_200237.jpg

14. la Principessa

Nice! Well I liked the movie but I haven't read the book yet. Usually the book is better so we'll see. I haven't gotten a physical book in so long, it's just convenient to get the ebook from the library, which I just borrowed The Vampire Lestat so I'll get started on that now.

I thought Brad Pitt as a vampire looked pretty weird so I get that even having not read the book lmao

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

:) Lestat and Queen were the best ever. They were so good. They go all back in history to druids and egyptians and it's great. I am inspired to read again!

The best thing about my vampire books is that I was working night shift in a sports club and so I read when we were closed in the morning, always with a bag of salt n vinegar chips. Now the vinegar aged the centre of the pages where my thumb holds the book, so they smell fabulously old, like that old book smell and are slightly discolored if you look at the thickness of the book, from the paper side not the spine.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    la Principessa likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

@EloiseAtThePlaza on the 2nd top shelf, to the right you will see some Knights? I bought 8 of them, they are different sizes and cultures. I'm pretty sure, that the small one on the very left you can kind of see his blue shield, he's a Croatian Knight. :) I got them at the Sedlec Ossuary gift shop. I have always like Knights and medieval. Probably why you see a few of those books there too lol.

@Meliai 2nd shelf on the left are my Neil Gaiman books :p it was Neverwhere lol.

In the center is my drinking horn. Bottom right people might notice a possible obsession with WW2 and Hitler and Nazis. So when I do argue with the bogans in historic topics, I do know what I'm on about.

There is also a shelf missing in the photo which houses my comics and books about animals and sharks and fish :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  17. la Principessa

Yes read them again so we can discuss when I finish! Lol

I do miss the old book smell, you definitely don't get that with a Kindle! I prefer the plain Lays chips myself. Or kettle chips.

Irminsul likes this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a kindle too, but I find it hard to read like the brightness.
    Dwindling books really upsets me about the world, but I get it, no one has time to read anymore. That's why I also like country music, well.. storytelling. It's literature I can listen to in the car. Maybe I should get audio books but I know I'll have a problem with them because I always develop character traits where I read characters differently, to what I perceive that character will sound like.

Morgan Freeman could read me an audio book, but I know he won't cut it to what my imagination actually does while I read.

la Principessa and Mallyboppa like this.
  19. MeAgain

20. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor