What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm officially finished with "The Girl on the Train". I actually didn't finish it because.. well, I watched the movie and it ruined the ending. So I'm moving on and starting Grisham's "Theodore Boone: The Activist".

2. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Just finished AJP Taylor's bio of Bismarck - page after page of dense type with no line breaks or subheads, making it difficult to find a place to just stop and go the f--- to sleep

bio of Paul Newman

Granta book of short stories

WAR OF THE WORLD - Niall Ferguson = monumental work - everything you wish you had known in your 20s. As soon as I finish the zillion pages I will start again from the beginning

I have about 20 others that I've cracked and will probably have to re-read from the beginning

Annual compilations of erotic writing by Susie Bright - generally not very erotic at all though some pique the senses. Once you've read DELTA OF VENUS, it's difficult to find ANYTHING else erotic.

PS - no matter what I do I can't seem to accumulate any warning points - It's frustrating!

3. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

The Jealous Kind....by the best novelist in America, James Lee Burke!

4. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

My wife tried to turn me into that book and I just found it too slow. Had to give it up about halfway through.

Just like The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. Boring. It was good for insomnia, though. If I couldn't sleep I'd get up and reactions it for about ten minutes and then BAM! Lights out. LOL

I fell asleep during that movie too! Something I never do

5. fundoo

fundoo Members

^ lol

I think this was one I wanted to read. Probably so I could watch the movie. haha! Makes me think of Murder on the Orient Express. Not sure if it's anything like that, but that was a fun read and then a fun film. I like trains apparently, though I haven't been on them much.

-------
    idk what thread I just posted in, but I'm working on some Roald Dahl. As I said in the other one, I'm reading slowly so I can truly analyze the work. Totally nerding out! :D Speaking of movies, I swear I've seen this (The Witches) in movie form, or at least part of it. Very familiar!

6. Scratched

Scratched Members

Grace Slick's book "Somebody to Love"

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

"In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. Well, really I just finished it. I liked it very much, but did not love it.

9. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

"Greatest Air Wars of WWII."

"Fight Club" by Chuck Pahluinik

---I try to read a fiction and a non-fiction book every week or so---

10. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Yeah...I've always heard Proust was a great writer. But, man...is it worth it?

Remebrance of Things past is, what? Five volumes? So, like, about 3000 pages total?

My wife had to read it in college, she says. She was an English Lit major. (No, wait, she minored in English Lit.) but anyway, she said she struggled mightily with it, and while it had its moments, there was just too much boring stuff to slog through. Like, maybe once every hundred or so pages she'd read a couple passages or a page or three that was brilliant and impressive.

Has this been your experience as well?

She told me that Proust can go on at remarkable lengths about the most mundane things. Like, didn't he go into a childhood memory passage from eating a cookie or something? A "madeline" I think Robyn told me? And his description of the taste of this one bite of a cookie actually went on for a COUPLE HUNDRED PAGES??

Is that really true? Wow. I could nerve muster the patience.

Good luck with it!

Cheers.

11. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

This is the last of a trilogy of novels about the conquest of Mexico by the Spanish under Cortes.

Excellent IMO.

[​IMG]

12. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

The Histories - Herodotus

Tough going in places but sometimes the story line picks up for a few rollicking pages. Fills in a lot of historical gaps for those of us who didn't have a classical education starting in the cradle

My life in the Great North Woods (forget) - superbly written account of a kid in a 1930s lumber camp - in Maine - totally absorbing read - I'm reading it for the second time

About a dozen others. Occasionally I have to back up to the beginning if I've left a book for more than a few weeks

The 2002 book of Erotica - I guess it's edited by Susie Bright - who else!

13. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

sounds interesting, Bill - I've read several of Hancock's others, together sith stuff by other authors of his ilk

14. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I might try to read Jane Erye by Charlotte Bronte. I've never read it but I saw a movie version and I think I'd like it.

16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

It's only over the last few years he's branched out into fiction - he actually writes it very well - I haven't been able to put that book down.

17. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

I had no idea he's written fiction - where does he find the time - I see him going on and on on three hour YouTube vids lol

1 person likes this.
  18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I'm reading "Summer in the South" by Cathy Holton...Please heed my advise and do NOT waste any time or money on this book.

I'll finish this book because I finish ALL books I start...its a thing with me. However, that does not mean it is worth reading. I looked up some reviews on this book...and come to find out LOTS of people "liked" this book as much as me. lol

Perhaps this author's other books are better; but, I can sincerely say I'll never find out. good grief...

1 person likes this.
  19. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

((((((((((((((((((((( Lynn ))))))))))))))))))))

I do that too, Lynn - read disastrous books to the end

1 person likes this.
  20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I do the same, I've read so many horrible books

1 person likes this.