What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dirtyhippycommiebastard, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

I've heard about that one from some other people too. I might have to give it a go.

I'm reading Running with the Buffalos.

2. windy

windy Member

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

3. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

OMG! ^ I read that last year!

a very memorable read...somehow this book will get in you or something. It did me anyway...it also seemed to put me back during that time, when the great cathedrals were being created (not built).

I know I will read this book again, at some point. (and I'm not one of those...rarely is there the book I'll ever re-read)

4. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

The last half was much better than the first half. Really great all and all.

5. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

For those of you who are familiar with Burroughs' works, what should I read after "Junky" (which I just finished). I am tempted by "Naked Lunch" due to its similar content (drugs, secretive lives of ordinary people, etc.), but I heard "Queer" is actually quite good too (but, then again, I am not gay, so it might not be as fascinating to me as the drug topic books).

Let me know what you think...

6. windy

windy Member

I just finished it this morning and YES it is one of the better books I have read. Loved it. Did you know that they did a mini-series based on this book? Haven't seen it yet but it just played recently on TVO.
    So! Guess what I am reading now? LOL. World Without End by same author. It's about Kingsbridge two centuries on. It starts in 1327. It's a big book. Might even cut into computer time lol...

7. desireu2

desireu2 Member

Something of an old breed - The daily newpaper in real paper form.

8. OptimisticFutureBlues

OptimisticFutureBlues Member

Lord of the Flies

9. etkearne

etkearne Resident Pharmacologist

Nothing better than sitting in a coffee shop, mid-afternoon, with tea and a crisp newspaper IMO. I try to go into the city I live near for this purpose once a week. It is a nice atmosphere.

And this is coming from an iPad user!

10. MP4103

MP4103 Member

Just started A People's History of the World by Chris Harman.

11. 1r0n_0x1d3

1r0n_0x1d3 Member

The Dark Side of The Light Chasers - by Debbie Ford
    Ann Shulgin said it was a good read.
    [​IMG]

12. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hello,

well, I read Coelho's The Alchimist, which I liked. Then I bought The Pilgrimage - and I was disappointed. I can't really describe it, but there was too much stuff in that book that was too far out for me. So I'm not sure if I should give Coehlo another chance.

Regards
    Gyro

13. broony

broony Banned

A Child Called "It" - The book has made me very thankful for my childhood. What this child goes through is a sad and incredible journey...that he lived and didn't come out insane.

14. jumping123

jumping123 Member

Yeah, it's really great. I re-organized my garage, and it is less cluttered and now I know where everything is. My niece is currently reading it now.

15. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

i recently started to re-read 'a game of thrones' by George R.R. Martin. i'm mostly going through it again to refresh my memory for the new book, but it's also interesting to spot the differences between the book and the new TV series.

16. Alder

Alder Guest

love, freedom aloneness - Osho (my first time reading Osho and I'm not sure what to think yet)
    Lies my teacher told me- James W. Loewen

17. markbyrne24

markbyrne24 Guest

Reading books by Stephen King.

18. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Please tell me...what are those books ^^ like/about? Particularly the one titled The Man Whose Teeth Were All Exactly Alike.

I see you are into some heavy reading. Cool.

For the past coule to 3 yrs. I've become a fiction (sci-fi, fantasy, and Indian Native American study/fiction) addict. However, I really love to read, and am always interested in a new, different, and good author.

19. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

From wiki's plot summary (don't read it, tons've spoilers): Between 1958 and 1962, Leo Runcible works in the real estate field. On learning that Walt Dombrosio, his neighbour, has had an African-American visitor, potential purchasers refuse to buy one of his properties. In retaliation, Runcible tells the police about Dombrosio's drunk driving, leading to the loss of the latter's driving license. And Runcible discovers what may be a missing link in evolution on one of his properties.

And it's all about the various clashes and power struggles that result from that. And it explores various themes about how we are all linked and how our actions effect lives tangentially connected to ours, as well as more direct relationships like husband/wife dynamics.

Philip K Dick is known best for his sci-fi, but his realist fiction is often more deep and always amazing.

20. farmout

farmout All who wander arent lost Lifetime Supporter

The Ballad of Trench Mouth Taggart.....:-D