What are we all doing for the environment????

Discussion in 'Recycling' started by GentleHeartLamb, May 28, 2004.

1. aquapro

aquapro Member

This is what i do. I produce a festival with awareness of all types incorporated into the mix.

i'm speading the word about Evolve. the festival is run on bio diesel. tons of works shops, and music of every type. 5 stages 48 hr of strait music the music never ends. here is some cool info about bio diesel. and a link to the evolve site.
    Please check this out and tell your everyone you can.
    Ref: http://www.biodieselsolutions.com/faq.asp#b1

www.evolvefestival.com

2. StarStained

StarStained Member

I don't want to sound mean, but sheesh some of you are f*cking hypocrites! "Yeah, I'm a hippie, check out the hemp necklace... Wait, recycling? What does that mean? I'd rather sit at home polluting and making fun of people who are actually trying to make a difference for the cause I say I believe in."

Ahem. *steps off soapbox*
    Now, in reply to the original post: I've been riding my bike or walking almost everywhere, been a vegetarian for a while, started an Environmental Club at school, had that club sponsor our very own "Rock for the Planet 2004" (environmental music festival here in town), and most importantly, educating everyone about the importance of helping the environment.
    Helping the earth is no longer for only tree-hugging hippies. When global warming begins hurting us seriously, it's not only going to affect those who understand it. It's going to hurt everyone, liberals and conservatives alike. Even Mr. Bush will feel its effects.
    ~Madeline

3. earthy44

earthy44 Member

Yes, buying local is great! I understand that much organic is shipped from far away, but I would rather buy food that hasn't been sprayed with toxic chemicals that leach into the ground water from far away, rather than other food. However, local is better! I totally understand your preference. Saves on fuel and energy for shipping and processing, and helps support the local economy. Here in SC I get lots of veggies from my mother-in-laws garden and there are lots of farmstands along the highway. Even in a city like Columbia we don't have to go too far to find a farmstand with fresh peaches, watermelon, squash and butterbeans! However in the winter, locally grown, even in the south, is hard to come buy.

I also think that vegetarian is better. My husband is fairly adamant about meat once a week, but breakfast, lunch, and dinner 6 days a week is vegetarian! With the amount of grain it takes to produce one steak, you can feed 50 people!
    One of my concerns with conventionally produced food is dairy. I like cheese and milk but I really want to avoid buying it from companies that factory farm chickens and cows, mistreat them horribly, and use hormones and antibiotics. They have already found that these antibiotics and hormones do get into or food and affect us in negative ways.
    Anyway, thanks for touching on 2 good points-LOCAL and VEGETARIAN! I definitely agree.
    On