What age should one be prepared to “R.I.P.” from the world?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Xboxoneandsports32490, Oct 13, 2022.

1. Xboxoneandsports32490

Xboxoneandsports32490 Members

Just wondering, I’m 32 years old rignt now and seem to be doing pretty good for myself so far. But as far as death goes, How old would you personally yourself want to be before you should be pronounced dead or “Rest In Peace” from the world for good? I’m shooting for 80s or mid 80s for me. If I lived to see 85 I think I’d be ready to close my life out from that point!!! What about you? How old would you want to officially “R.I.P.”?

Toker likes this.
  2. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Let's see what you think as you're gasping our your last at 85...."wait, I was only kidding!!! " I'm planning for 105. Mom's going to be 97, not a thing wrong with her - her sister lived to 103, her mother 96.... The key is a long useful happy life, not just a big number.

Toker likes this.
  3. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

I'm not really sold on the idea of eventually dying someday quite yet being as there are groups like the sense Foundation and many others working to unlock the secrets our DNA contain which will put an end to the process of biological aging for those who choose it.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Village Idiot

As Jimmy Buffett once opened; "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead."
    As a paramedic I've seen far too many people of all ages who fit into the latter category.
    I would focus on quality over quantity.

5. Toker

Toker Lifetime Supporter

Funny you should ask. When I was a school kid, I wasn't sure I'd make to my 50s, since there was so much paranoia going around in the 1960s from worrying about the Vietnam draft to WWIII, with nukes pounding your desk as you hide under it,

Then we had to worry about the population bomb, a possible race war, the Harmonic Convergence and lastly the year 2000 aka Y2K.

So what was the point of planning beyond say 2001, when the oblisks start showing up...

And now that I'm almost 70, I can say Politicians, Conspiracy Theorists and the new media sure can manipulate the minds of the masses. Oops, almost forgot the opiate of the masses, Religion.

What's funny is nothing has changed in all this time, other than it all being more persuasive, more pernicious, more pervasive and especially more dangerous.

I think 85 to 90 is a good time to leave the mess to the young to either clean up or drown in human waste of every sort.

Guess I'm not one of those happy go lucky optimists. At the moment Greta seems to be what the world needs now...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    wyldwynd likes this.
  6. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

I Rest In Peace every moment

Toker likes this.
  7. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I'm more concerned with how I die than how long I live. I find life mostly satisfying and interesting, so I'd like to keep doing it as long as I can. But I do fear becoming a vegetable. Where is Dr. Kavorkian when you really need him!

8. straightma1e

straightma1e Members

Three questions asked in this thread, two are different. The title question and the last question of the OP's original post. So to answer the first question "What about you?" Here's what I have to say.

What age should one be prepared to “R.I.P.” from the world? One can go at any age. I should have been history long before now. I have survived tornados, earthquakes, a snake bite, an airplane crash, multiple car crashes, death threats, food poisoning, and disease including Covid-19 and Polio. Plus many other much lesser but deadly situations. I could have been found dead many times over the years. With all of that I have never prepared to die. I have made arrangements for what to do with my estate upon my passing and have a place for someone to put me when I do. Other than that I do not plan to die any time soon. I'm 70 heading towards 71 and beyond rather quickly it seems. But no plans to end my life as I'm having too much fun.

How old would you want to officially “R.I.P.”? This is a simpler answer. How old is as old as I can. If I live to be 80, great. 90? Wonderful. How about I go to 100? Okay. I'm fine with that. Maybe a lot longer than a century. It might be very possible given todays advancements on medicine and elder care. But then going back to the "prepared to R.I.P." question above I might meet my demise tomorrow due to a simple thing happening that I didn't see coming. One thing is for sure. It won't be "official" until the death certificate is signed and filed. When that happens I won't give a shit anymore.

9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I have a constant fear of TIA clots destroying my short term memory. Both my late mother and a close friend suffered from them in their latter years, my mother was 97 when she died.

Some days, she would address our son as me, then ask him who that old man is, it was quite disturbing. The following day, she would do the Times crossword and be totally back to normal. When she went for an assessment, one of the questions was "When did WW2 start". She immediately answered 1919, then added, the moment the Treaty of Versailles was signed. She was no fool..

10. Intrepid37

Intrepid37 Banned

What age?