What About Sending A 'Message' (Back In Time)?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Jimbee68, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I have no cite for this one. I saw it on the Science Channel. So please bear with me.

Anyways, as many of you know, time travel, if at all possible, would be fraught with all kinds of complications. It would require enormous amounts of energy, to say nothing of the technological sophistication that would be involved. But what about sending a 'message' back in time? Allow me to explain.

Photons have energy but no mass. That is why they are the only particle or anything else that can go the speed of light. So why can't they go faster than the speed of light? Of course Einstein proved if you could go faster than light, you would be going backwards in time.

Anyways, let me cut to the chase. On the Science Channel, they used something called 'quantum tunneling' to send photons back in time. I just know some guy in another country (poss. the Netherlands) bombarded a metal barrier with photons (light?). And one photon, or more, 'tunneled' thru the barrier, and apparently went faster than light. He reportedly send classical music back that way. He even joked about American scientists who would doubt him that they just didn't appreciate classical music.

I posted this on another message board. And they said that is not how quantum tunneling works at all. But hey, tell that to the Science Channel. Because I know that is what they clearly said.

:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

2. I have read numerous articles saying what you have said. I don't really have an opinion, though. I guess everyone who is saying that is the case is wrong, according to your other message board.

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I believe photons are the quantum particles which make up light.

As far as I am aware, a wormhole is about the only possible way permitted by general relativity for a macroscopic object to traverse vast regions of spacetime without being bound by the speed of light, although I'm not sure this would qualify as traveling back in time. Quantum tunneling might actually hinder the ability for a wormhole to remain stable and most likely any message we attempt to send would cause the collapse of the quantum state and the wormhole as well.

So called exotic particles may be able to stabilize a wormhole but none have been detected.

tumbling.dice and Gul Dukat like this.
  4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

There are also electromagnetic waves that propagate into the past, 'Advanced Waves' they're called, as opposed to 'Retarded Waves' with which we are more familiar. I don't understand it enough to discuss it unfortunately. From what I have read there is no way to use them for communication, however.

Wheeler–Feynman absorber theory - Wikipedia

Whatever all that means. :grinning:

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Been there, done that... nobody paid attention.

6. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

How can I be sure that, from my perspective, you are not in the future right now and sent that post back in time to my present? Maybe you're in the year 3000 AD or something.

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

he is. and to prove it, nobody is paying attention to his post.

8. Tyrsonswood

See... Proof!

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You americans are reading my post now like 8hrs behind me.

/ thread.

10. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I think I might've seen this.
    Was the scientist a black dude?

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I really, really need to know what the stock market is gonna do Monday. Please PM said information, thanks.

12. Tyrsonswood

Crash...

13. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Neil deGrasse Tyson?

8E10F0BC-6420-43F2-A25A-0A2102901CA7.jpeg

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Actually if we're talking about quantum physics, this would probably be my best guess...

Jim Gates

[​IMG]

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That guy uses billions of dollars to try and contact an alien planet that would have technology to go back in time so he can save his dad from dying.

Eric! likes this.
  17. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

12d01a1c-b775-4e94-a862-99ca2fad46c7_text.gif

Eric! likes this.
  18. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I gave it a whirl

Whooossshhh... Over my head

tumbling.dice likes this.
  19. Lodog

Lodog ¿

I'm going to try with some water and a fork. I figure there isn't much room for failure that way.

20. AlienContactee1984

AlienContactee1984 Members

I can show on a white board in present brain status with white board and the foam boards by me on how to message information back in time according to pure Newton proof (has been multiple designs andand ways). You know what would make a good thing is the magic craft with with a future phone type of typing thing like cash register hear fire crackers in room than the eye sight 20 years old to 50 years old was value ten million dollars infinity interesting or more to great group and brain readings plus what ears hear survalence worth similar. I don't call for that with anyone here. I'm not playing games I might be framed.