What about a Wiccan Forum?

Discussion in 'Paganism' started by WynterFrost, Jan 18, 2005.

1. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

actually, the concept of lineage does play a role in british traditionalism, but one's "lineage" refers to tracing initiation back to Uncle Gerald, not to blood line. there are wiccan & pagan families and family traditions, or fam-trads. as a matter of fact i know that there's at least one person on the hipforums who was raised pagan, but i've seldom seen him post on the pagan board, probably since, as he grew up with it, he doesn't feel the overwhelming need to talk about it.

somehow i get the impression our young friend is not a fam-trad, though.

2. Kiz

Kiz Member

My great Grandmother was a Cornish witch. I've actually been passed down some of her recipes and stuff. I don't consider myself to be a "family tradition" witch, nor to have "lineage". I don't believe blood (genetics) has anything to do with one's spirituality, and besides, she died long before I was born. I was brought up Christian, anyway.

Some things passed down from her and her ancestors are fascinating though. She had a cure for minor skin cancers involving what we have always called "poisonous milkweed (chickweed)". It works, I've used it myself. Very recently scientists have made a "discovery" about this fabulous new plant that is extremely effective in the treatment of early stage melanomas. They call it "radium weed". And guess what it is? Poisonous milkweed! When I read that article my first thought was "New? That ones been in the family for generations."

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

That's great, I've been to Cornwall. It's a wonderful place, a suitably mystical.

Thanks for the clarification Kitty. That was kind of what I mean, but you put it very eloquently. It's wonderful for us to have such 'wise elders' :)

4. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! she called me an elder! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! (checks in the mirror for grey hairs among dreadlocks) :p

actually in some circles i would qualify for elderhood by virtue of the number of years i've been practicing. in Web Path, which was the group i sometimes practice with, i think we decided i'm about the equivalent of 2nd degree, but i could probably get third if i wanted to get off my duff. in my own tradition, which i guess is a solitary tradition evolving into what could become a fam-trad should my kids show interest, i prefer to use the title of "mom" instead of "elder". "elder" usually implies maturity & responsibility, which i'm hoping to avoid. :p

regarding the topic of lineage, see my review of progressive witchcraft by janet farrar and gavin bone. in it, they begin to question the importance of lineage, which is interesting because janet at least has always been a traditionalist. on the other hand, i attended a workshop on the history of modern wicca which touched upon some of the reasons why traditionalist do keep track of lineage. it was an interesting contrast to my american ecclectic background.

just curious - has anyone here ever been initiated? self-dedicated? i'd love to hear personal stories.

i've never been to cornwall. i've never been to england at all, but i'd love to go sometime.

5. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

6. Little_Dove

Little_Dove Member

I just thought I was Wiccan, but after reading Kitty Fabulous's differentiation, I just might be a non-Wiccan witch now... You know what though? Lol, I don't f*n care! I just do what I do. See, this is why I hate labels, they never work. I'd rather explain what I personally believe than just give you my label....

Lol, looks like you guys did scare her off, huh?

7. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

I think if there is a wiccan forum there should be a Druid forum. like subforms of this forum.

8. velvet

velvet Banned

the wicca forum is a initiative of cerridwen.. so it's a memberforum, not an official subforum. If you donate you can make whatever forum you like.. untill then I don't think there will be an official druid forum, too few people here who are in that niche..

9. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

When I get out on my own I will definatly donate,

But i was just saying its only right if there WOULD be a Wicca sub forum here in Paganism, there should be a Druid.

10. velvet

velvet Banned

yup.. true.. :)