What’s needed to stop an American dictatorship?

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by Balbus, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

She claims to be a member of one of those, but also a Canadian. So she adds her cryptic two cents to a discussion of preventing American dictatorship--"American" apparently including Canada. (Sorry. BBLB, cutting back on immigration and the UN won't help much).. The immediate threat of dictatorship in the U.S. is Trump and his nativist following, of which you're part of the problem.) BBLB seems to qualify as a Trumpster and nativist, even if she is a Canadian and a native--a nativist native Know Nothing.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    Rehab44 and scratcho like this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Deserved quoting...

scratcho likes this.
  3. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It's called "The Constitution".
    It's this document which is the written rules for the uniting of the states. It enumerates the powers of the federal government, and specifies limitations.
    Check it out sometime. It's worth a read, and then you'll be at an enlightenment level where you'd realize what a foolish question this is.
    Doh!

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.
  4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

Trouble is, it doesn't matter what it's called or what it says. It only matters that people respect and follow it, which Trump and his minnions don't. They've claimed that Trump is above the law, and can issue executive orders to bypass and undercut constitutional separation of powers and checks and balances.
    Donald Trump’s Constitution: End of the Separation of Powers | National Review
    Evan McMullin: Donald Trump undermines the Constitution
    How Trump disparages the Constitution
    How Trump's Cabinet Now Undermines The Rule Of Law
    Trump is a Threat to the Constitution
    Top 5 Ways Trump Undermines the U.S. (and the Rest of America) - Seedbed
    Trump vs. the Constitution: A Guide
    President Trump, Mocking the Constitution | Constitutional Accountability Center
    Maybe you should red it sometime yourself and ask yourself why you're supporting Trump's efforts to undermine it.

Eric!, Balbus, scratcho and 1 other person like this.
  5. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

It's true, we can continue to help parts of the world where needed as we've been doing for decades -- if, and that's the key, if we continue to have strong economic production. "Them that's got shall get, Them that's not shall lose". So yeah, we have to make the change from fighting constructive ways to embracing them. Stop the pissing games about who the decision makers should be and just get together and do the right things, by God!

Although I'm not sure to what lengths we should go to disarm other nations. It's one thing if they're threatening others but they have a right to defend their soil, too. When our military is strong enough, we can keep the peace. Otherwise tyrants will have free reign. "Walk softly, and carry a big stick."

soulcompromise likes this.
  6. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Maybe you should ask yourself why you're reading and believing all this leftist/liberal/progressive/woke fake news that'll say anything to get you support their side. They're not honest. Do you really want to be so gullible? Liberal artists should take a critical thinking course so they can learn to escape that bubble!
    Try educating yourself by learning both sides of the opposing fake news.

7. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

I guess you missed the memo. I am aboriginal, mi’kmaq, and of this land Canada! East coast of Canada, Which by the way is a native Canada from the Iroquois word meaning village. I am of the original people. I am sure that storm or some other nay sayers who wants to lie will state otherwise, will pipe up on this matter. Deny me my heritage like so many other invaders want to do.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  8. Joshua Van

Joshua Van JoshuaMN

First off i voted for trump. However i will not be doing that again. He has lost the plot total mishandled the corona virus response. Way over stepped his constitutional authority sending in unnamed government goons to kidnap Americana citizens. He stands accused of collusion with Russia over the payed by Russia death of American troops. And has done nothing. if found guilt that in and of itself is treason

scratcho likes this.
  9. Idlewild

Idlewild Members

Why did you vote for him?

10. Beach Ball Lady Balls

you are kidding, right? :) I think this is sarcasm.

11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

So, how would you have handled the cv response differently, just knowing what was known at the time? Which wasn't much. Stopped travel earlier? The opposition called him racist for doing it when he did. Well, they call him racist for everything since ultimately they can't find any real fault other than his pushy personality so they have to hurl baseless accusations and insults in hopes of turning people away who haven't figured out what they're up to. And what's the option at this point? Maybe just stay home come Nov.

12. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

That would make sense. I didn't pick up on it though. You're a little quicker on the uptake than I for this.

13. Rehab44

Rehab44 Members

What are you smoking?

14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

i think what we need is a bridge between the left and the right... every time i turn around I think something is that bridge*

I thought "maybe CoViD will bring us together". but nothing will. It's always a disagreement.

I feel like to change we must first understand the fundamental differences. the philosophies that separate the right and left perhaps can meet in the middle, if not for a permanent solution, then to overcome individual challenges. If our goal becomes to provide solutions to the world's problems rather than to score one against the other team, we become a machine that makes achievements possible.

The reality of the stimulus argument brings us to the negotiating table though, and has a direct effect on American interests. We can actually see the money increases or decreases into our bank account, or we can choose to see honor and sacrifice as an alternative to gluttony and remorselessness. I certainly don't think surviving is gluttony, but I can see where republicans disagree with overdoing our spending today at the expense of tomorrow. We're already in the hole. And as people like @Vanilla Gorilla have pointed out (I know he's not your favorite, but I'm making a point) someone will have to pay. In a generational context, and judging only from the direction ordered Saturday, those who may end up paying are the youth of today - the same youth who won't get a stimulus check if they're dependent on their parents' returns according to the easy-peasy formula (the one we used last time) for calculating the stimulus.

On a side note, is it laziness or greed that makes us leave some people out of the calculation? That doesn't sound fair or accurate to me. College students (and they're not the only exclusions by any means - see people with ITINs instead of socials, etc.) have lots of important expenses; though they do have some limited student resources like financial aid.

I hope this shows our leadership that we can work together to remedy the problems of our country, and the world moreover.

15. Beach Ball Lady Balls

you know DeBlassio of nyc sent patients with corona virus into nursing homes. I think the number is 6700 COVID positive patients sent into nursing homes in nyc alone, by which they infected more people and killed people.

Meanwhile homeless people are put up in luxury hotels in nyc at $170 a night For single, 300 a night for double occupancy, paid for by the tax payers and Are called front line workers. This is also how fema NY is spending money. On expensive hotels for homeless people?

So how many deaths of COVID are at the hands of deblassio? Was this a mass murder? I have heard on the left many times that elderly must die. I guess this is how it is done under the guise of the good guys. Very bad. History repeats itself. New Jersey did the same thing, as did San Francisco.

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

We need less local leadership right now I think. Someone who can think about how all the pieces work together rather than the constituent. Not to disregard the constituent so much as to put the needs of the many ahead of the few. And realize that we have to work together, not behind each other's back. That's what I think.

17. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Most people are not concerned with the bigger picture in a crisis like this. They worry about keeping family and friends well, remaining healthy. And now doctors are reporting a problem they are calling mask mouth, which is similar to meth mouth. It apparently is really a thing, or maybe doctors are just seeing more meth addicts these days? Mask mouth. Lol. Damned no matter what we do, it seems. Dentists Warn of “Mask Mouth” During COVID Pandemic Perhaps Trump can be blamed for mask mouth too? jk... but maybe not. I am sure someone can tell me why trump is responsible for this. Lol

18. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

I read or listen to arguments from all parts of the political spectrum, but I don't believe them unless I decide on the basis of my experience and the evidence at hand that they're correct. "Woke" would not be an accurate label to pin on me. I tend to be a moderate liberal centrist. However, I've found all of your posts to be pretty much knee jerk Trumpism: rightist/nativist/libertarian fake news that amounts to little more than name calling. You seem to be the gullible one, swallowing everything the lying, corrupt, draft -dodging, pussy-grabbing, race-baiting,Putin lovin', narcissistic, divisive SOB in the Oval Office puts out.

Balbus and Tyrsonswood like this.
  19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The framers of the constitution built in a system of checks and balances designed to guard against tyranny by ensuring that no branch would grab too much power.

They didn't however foresee someone like Trump in the executive branch, with purely dictatorial aspirations, and backed by a Republican controlled Senate who's only concern is to maintain power at any cost.