Westboro Baptist Church.

Discussion in 'Cults' started by Dax, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Dax

Dax Members

Do these looney tunes still picket since Fred Phelps snuffed it and so many left the cult?

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i haven't heard anything about them in years, but i also miss a lot of stuff so who knows.

3. It has been some time since I heard about these losers. WTF kind of "church" doesn't have a parking lot? Tax scam?

Dax likes this.
  4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I had to do a duck duck search. So he was a homophobic human rights lawyer. Sounds like a contradiction in terms. Not the sort of person I would want to sit next to in a plane.
    Good Riddance, Fred Phelps

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i suppose you could argue that someone needs to represent the rights of bigots.

i know, it's a stretch.

Bilby likes this.
  6. Varmint

Varmint Member

They did kinda' go nuts during the obama years, just like a lot of other loons did. You don't see nearly as much of that now, but I'm sure it's somewhere, just simmering, waiting for another opportune time to strike....

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Oh they're still around.

"It is March 15, 2020, and the novel coronavirus that causes the pandemic disease known as COVID-19 is galloping across the world, being transmitted at an exponential rate. When this is all said and done, virtually every human on the planet will have been impacted by this amazing, microscopic work of God in one way or another.

"There are 2 types of people on this earth – the children of the devil (also known as the wicked, workers of iniquity, children of disobedience, the reprobate) and the children of God (also known as the righteous, the just, the sheep of God, the elect of God). And the Lord deals with these two groups of people in very different ways:

"'The curse of the Lord is in the house of the wicked: but He blesseth the habitation of the just.'” (Proverbs 3:33).

—Excerpt from WBC sermon, March 15, 2020
    https://www.godhatesfags.com/sermons/outlines/Coronavirus_20200315.pdf

Orison and Dax like this.
  8. Yea, but during Obama's administration anyone who didn't agree with him were instantly labeled as racists. So the comparison is nearly impossible to quantify.

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I love those Ted Talks things on YouTube. Fred Phelps' granddaughter, Megan, has one. It's only 15 minutes long and is worth the watch if you've got nothing to do.

Bilby and Dax like this.
  10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

as a non-christian who has read the king james, as a book, instead of a collection of one liners, it doesn't seem to me, like they were on the same planet.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Isaiah 20:26 Go, my people, enter your rooms and shut the doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until his wrath has passed by..

themnax and tumbling.dice like this.
  12. Varmint

Varmint Member

They do seem to have missed some of the weightier matters that Jesus addressed. Perhaps their understanding of scripture is warped by their own upbringing and experience...? I've heard that perspective can be everything....

Tishomingo likes this.
  13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

it is when it is acted upon. forgiveness is a blessing for the forgiver, but it cannot unreap what anyone but ourselves have sowen.
    point is, he never told us to hate logic. yet seminaries tell preachers to tell us to.
    know one knows the will of god, really, only that there might be one or more of something like them.
    jesus, moses, mohammed, buddha, krshna, lao tsu, and all the rest of them, might well have channelled that god or gods,
    but every book we have, was written by mere mortals.
    nothing against the good intentions of any of them, but even their words we have second and third hand.
    and even those words, cannot uncause the harm from acting inconsiderately, which is among other things, tyranny, but also very real probability, of ignorantly self inflicted harm, to life and limb.

14. Bilby

Was this church any worse than the Exclusive Brethren?

15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like it's talking about this damn virus.

themnax likes this.
  16. deleted

deleted Visitor

Any book can be interpreted in many different ways..
    We could probably find the end of the world in Moby-Dick somehow..
    However Isaiah is sound advice..

themnax and Bilby like this.
  17. Bilby

I worked out a long time ago people would cherry pick the Bible according to their agenda. When asked for verification frequently it was quite apparent one of us had a different interpretation of the quote in question. Occasionally some people would come around to my way of thinking.

So God hates same sex relationships?
    "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus."

themnax likes this.
  18. JonJRR88

JonJRR88 Members

The Westboro Baptist Church was never really a church. And membership in it was only like 30 or 50 people. It was really just one wack-a-doodle and some of his friends and family. They did crazy stuff and the media gave them a lot of attention...because, you know, it helped their ratings.

But they were never a group with much of any membership or power.

The media should have never made them into these anti-heros just to boost their ratings. But that is what they did.