Well there is a

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YankNBurn, Jun 10, 2006.

1. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

hole in my kitchen wall about 8 feet high by 16 feet wide!

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

I take it you're doing some renovating?

3. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

That doesn't sound like a hole. Sounds like the wall is missing, bud.

4. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Well almost a whole wall, lacking about 4 feet still. is left of wall. My kitchen is huge, the hole house has been under remodel status for about 4 months. Having to order shit.

5. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

hehe. i was gonna ask if you got a wild hare to renovate when you were drunk. my mom does that.

6. andcrs2

andcrs2 Senior Member

Like that picture window?

Both bedrooms here had'em a coupla monmths ago.

I miss the view...

7. hippychickmommy

We've got a lot of work to do here so that we can get this house ready to sell. Supposedly we're going to be living at my in-laws house for almost a month coming up so that we can get some work done. Not to worry, they'll be out of town, which is the reason we can stay there, otherwise, no way! [​IMG]

Anyway, we've got hardwood floors than need sanding and varnished, plus the entire interior of the house needs painted, which, I still need to figure out what colors and what type of painting I want, because I'm leaning towards the sponge-painted look in some of the rooms at least, but my hubby tells me not to do too much because we're going to be moving out of here anyway, so to save the looks I really want for the new house, but we'll see.

Thinking about painting over all the trim, but he wants to sand it down and varnish it to match the floors, which would look beautiful but it's going to take a heck of a long time to accomplish.

Just need to spruce this place up so we can get a good price for it. I like this house, but it's just way too small for us, plus we're looking to move out in the countryside with some acreage.

8. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

I have a 3 bedrrom 2 bath house and well after the ex was out (bought her a house) I wanted to redo the house, she used to smoke and I dont so what started as a cleaning, repaint ended up as lets just tear the whole damn thing apart inside and redo it all. So master bedroom is 90% done, added double closets, and real wood slat doors for closet and main door, white wood trim and wall mirror and those closet organzier systems. New lighting, wood floors, and still have to change window.

Master bath has a water fall faucet, stone floor, marble top counter, oak cabnets, tile walls.

Whole house got all new flooring, updated wire and plumbing, added these cool mulitmedia sockets to all the rooms, that have phone, cat5, cable, and audio jacks. House is wired for all rooms to have this even the bathrooms, lol. Kitchen is like 70% there all custom built in the house cabnets, with glass front doors, lost of storage now. My goal is all done before winter hits, complete with new LP gas woodstove looking thing, has the logs and all but is gas not real wood.

I figure about another 5K or so and its done.

9. hippychickmommy

That's awesome! You've put a lot of hard work into your home! That's got to feel good!

10. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

I have bought a few homes to resell and first let me tell ya, if your gonna sell a house, pick all nuetral color. Good idea for the trim would be like paint the walls a color and the trim another, like a real faint biege wall with white trim type colors. Use semi gloss paint a tad more money but looks far better and like you did not skimp. Alwasy buy like walmart paint but goto some high dollar paint store to buy 1 gallon, pour it out like 50% of it into something else to save for self a small project but the rest leave there for buyer to see, suggests you used that great paint, lol.

kitchens if your just gonna sell but needs to be updated, good name brand appliances, stone tops but cut corners on the rest of it, saves money but looks like you spent a mint. Great appliance can be found used if you hunt it up.

cheap laminate flooring looks great but hides the flaws too.

ebay has killer deals of faucet fixtures that are really custom and unique, will look like $400 items for under $100 and makes the home look custom.

Biggest thing if possible is the whole comps for area. By this I mean hopefully you all paid the lowest amount for your home in your area, then you can do some minimal updates and still be under the high comps to resell.

Curb appeal is the best as that is the picture the RE companies put out there for em all and that is what people see first. Good paint, modest lanscape, fresh beauty bark ect, cut lawn a few flowers blooming, weeded and clean.

Most people with little effort can make some money on a home if they dont get carried away.

11. hippychickmommy

Wow, thanks for all the great advice!