Well then..

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by MeatyMushroom, May 27, 2013.

1. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

I apologise, this isn't a very important topic.. at least, it's completely useless and is only indirectly related to philosophy and religion... but.... why are there no more decent threads anymore?

I mean the 48 million pagers that strayed from the original point by page 2, and ended up with people mercilessly beating each other over the heads with opinions? And were actually like.. kinda interesting, not "Jezus iz a dooosh", or "me lyk boodah kkkkk".

I know I'm not helping in any way with this, but fuck it. I'm bored and haven't read anything brutal or thought provoking in ages, and that means I'm actually having quench that thirst by reading the newspaper and thinking for myself.. not cool guys, not cool.

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I agree.

Most people are more concerned with advancing an idea they already agree with, rather than entertaining a new thought.
    To this end they will ignore that which doesn't agree with their preconceived notions and distort whatever they encounter to support their previously formed opinions.

IMHO

3. I wonder where we go when we die. :nopity:

4. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I'll bite...:D

Aside from the fact that I really do have beliefs that address that, I find the scientific principle (?)...if that is what it is...that energy is never destroyed but only changes form quite interesting.

I realize that ^ is paraphrased, but that is the gist, right?

So, that alone would be indicative that we don't just turn into worm food, in the way I understand it. So, I would say our physical bodies turn into another form of energy.

5. MeAgain

The conservation of mass/energy only pertains to a closed system, I think.

Anyway, I think everyone can agree that the physical body turns into another form of mass/energy. But what of the mind or soul??

6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I sort of consider the body a closed system, but my educational background is not in science. (real shocker there, right...lol) Yes, I admit to it being in psychology.

Anyway, I think the physical body only houses the mind and/or soul...following that, freed from physicality, the mind or soul is probably "stronger", not being bound by flesh and all the problems that entails.

7. MeatyMushroom

Depends where you draw the line between mind and body, and if you think that lines needs to be drawn at all.

Say mind is the energy, which is described, or acted out by our physical form. When we die, the description of mind carries on through other minds as memory, inspiration, disgust etc until it spreads itself too thin, but has inevitably left it's footprint.

Like uhh.. driving at a constant velocity, then turning the engine off. The momentum of the car keeps it going for a bit, until it dissipates into all sorts of other forms of energy.. heat, friction, sound, possibly leaving some roadkill etc...

"Reincarnation"?

Edit: meant to go before Lynn's, too quick for me ;P

8. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I'm glad you brought up the reincarnation aspect...I've read accounts of people that know stuff of another life they simply should not know...such as the well-documented account of the 2yr old that began "remembering" a past life as a pilot in a war. I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember which one...WW1 or something. Of course that isn't the only one, but I've read about it on the internet and it is quite fascinating to me.

I personally think reincarnation is a definite possibility.

9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

you're right. the closed system it pertains to is our known universe.

10. I just think there must be some profound meaning to life. Because if life isn't profound in some way, then this is all pretty cheap. The universe comes to experience itself, perceives this as the most important thing in the universe, and this is just a fluke? Doesn't seem likely to me.

11. MeatyMushroom

Do you mean like.. a given meaning, or a meaning we can choose?

12. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

not sure, but damn I really love your sig pic.:2thumbsup:

13. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

i fancy three ways of existence ; one is this way , breathing and writing .
    two is an endless , apparently eternal dream all in the moment just before death .
    three is for the initiated - to be an earthly spark of life light - and you
    may ride about on butterflies when there's not anything profound to do .

a child of this earth , i see no existence apart from home . oh , this may
    also include residing spark-lee god-like in the center of the sun if you like to
    play with making rainbows for true lovers .

14. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

we shit therefore we are.

15. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

well then ... bury your shit .

16. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

its why we bury it.

that and disease, of course.

17. I mean it's got to have something deeper than the worst thing it could possibly be. Because if it is the worst thing it could possibly be...

Ugh. I'm not really sure what this means. The deeper element could just be some eternal math that makes our existence inevitable.

If it's the equivalent of a cosmic fart, then where do we really go from here?

18. MeAgain

This is a classic Western division, Descartes' "Mind/Body dualism".

But the body is also formed of energy as energy and matter are equivalent.
    Now this I like. It establishes the mind as a relationship between itself and other minds. Now as the one mind is dependent on the other, each depends on each for its existence.

No, maybe rebirth.

19. MeatyMushroom

:love:

Well, I honestly believe it's what you make of it. The universe is emotionally neutral, it couldn't give a shit. Humans shake on the emotional seasoning, and fortunately/unfortunately, we've got a big ass spice rack and there's a lot to choose from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556omomtVPU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=556omomtVPU

That's quite a deep episode actually(the musical one). I got the soundtrack and when I actually listened to it I was like whaaaaaat!

But yeah, I say we go to the spice rack.

Yeah that makes sense, cos mind is influenced by the body as well. A kinda mirror thing going on?

Edit: ooh, wait! there IS no mirror!

That's just quoted, I have no idea why there is no mirror. It might not be a glass mirror, cos it's bendier than that. Maybe like one of those plastic ones they dished out to me in high school geometry.

Yeah, just googled the definitions. Rebirth :p

20. I question whether it's possible to make anything of it that it actually isn't. First of all, it would be impossible to tell if you ever had.

I don't distinguish humanity from the universe, so I think it gives a shit.