Well, Midterms are Here. Now What?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by walkoflife, Nov 6, 2018.

1. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I believe you will find that 2020 begins tomorrow, on HF at least.

2. In what way do you mean?

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Trump is pretty much guaranteed a 2nd term now

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

It means the Democrats are salivating over the chance to take on this lame fuck

Or as one commentator said “Sen. Booker is already on a plane to Des Moines, Iowa,
    Tomorrow morning Sen Warren will make a campaign stop in the neighboring state of New Hampshire,
    and Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders is warming up his new motorized walker ...lol...just kidding [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  5. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Vote quark, ya dork

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

To repeat something i've posted in another thread but may fit here better - I think the Democrats now in power (at state and federal level) should be pushing all out in curtailing the abuses that are going on in the political system

Laws to set up independent voting commissions

Laws to stop gerrymandering

Laws to stop voter suppression

Law that says there needs to be enough (and accessible) voting places that no-one has to wait more than an hour to vote.

Phasing in proportional representation.

And laws to try and get big money out of politics.

If Republicans try to block such rules then the will look like the party of corruption and graft.

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I wrote in Bruce Wayne for board of education. I hope he won.

WritersPanic likes this.
  8. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

No - it went to a former teacher called Jefferson Pierce (D)

9. Yea, you're probably right. The democrats are likely to spend the next 6 years doing everything they can for the "Peaches" Waters and Pelosi Plug show. While they waste their time (and a LOT of taxpayer money) with impeachment against Trump, he'll continue to make backroom deals they don't find out about until the deal is done.

I think that's where democrats really screwed the pooch in the last few years, trying to go after sensational issues like slavery, Jim Crow and the KKK. As far as I'm concerned all 3 of those issues have been solved in the US. But that's just my opinion. Release the whining hounds!

r0llinstoned likes this.
  10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't like the president, but I don't think the House can impeach him without Russia collusion. But, obviously, the democrats have the House of Representatives. I voted democrat, so yeah... cool. Too bad we didn't get the Senate too! That would have been mighty interesting. Of course, too much power can be a bad thing.

I think the two more years with throwing a wet blanket on incendiary policies is going to be the norm. We can expect lots more executive orders. :)

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

The 'we' there makes it sound like you don't only vote Democrat but also identify as Democrat.

soulcompromise likes this.
  12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

When did they do all that? In the last few years? Can you give examples? And what are some of those "backroom deals" Trump has made?

13. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I've won numerous super bowls and other sports championships like this.

14. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Life will go on. The Dems will probably set off some real investigations in Washington. There will be a lot of gridlock, and the House will now make it its mandate to destroy the Trump administration. For better or worse.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

Welcome to Pennsylfornia..

16. The republicans impeached Clinton because he lied about an investigation. It wasted millions of taxpayer dollars while fattening the wallets of teams of lawyers. And in the end, Clinton came out even more popular. This is a risk the democrats will be taking unless they can find something worthy of impeachment. Ultimately, impeachment doesn't actually DO very much at all. It's a huge waste of time and resources and an embarrassment to the nation.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  17. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

Well we definitely got some things we wanted. Here in florida we restored voting rights to non violent felons who paid their debt to society. I'm surprised because most Repubs I meet are so judgmental, I'm shocked any of them would vote to give people a second chance.

Matias likes this.
  18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Panic

Ok just off the top of my head, but didn’t Clinton get impeached over lying about sexual misconduct but that the actually ‘wasted millions’ went on the failed Whitewater investigation that went on for years and didn’t get a result so that the sex thing was pursued instead?

Now while not defending Clinton I would say that these expensive inquires looked like political hit jobs by the Republicans fishing for anything with which to embarrass a political opponent.

And as a titbit from history the person that wrote large portions of the Starr report that laid out the grounds for impeachment was one Brett Kavanaugh.

Matias likes this.
  19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

now? he was pretty much guaranteed a 2nd term as soon as he won his first term. the incumbent pretty much always wins the presidency, as long as there is one.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  20. 2020 will be a surprising year. I don't think Trump is a shoo-in at all. People underestimate how much people disliked Hillary. People were voting for Trump in 2016 just to spite her. Of course, the Dems are so dumb, they'll probably run Hillary all over again.

They really need a clean slate. Joe Biden, Hillary, all these people they worship and adore can't defeat Trump. But I predict someone else out there has his/her eye on the presidency at this point. Bernie kind of opened the doors for people to get excited and run. Wouldn't be surprised if some billionaires threw their hat in the ring as well.

I honestly don't think Trump is presidential enough to be a two term president. Man are the ads going to be scary, though. What lies are they going to have to make up to make Trump look good? And they'll run them anyway. Just like 1984.