Weight Watchers

Discussion in 'Deadbear's Gym' started by melonhead, Jun 21, 2006.

1. melonhead

melonhead Member

i signed up for weight watchers yesterday. i know it's a popular thing, so i thought maybe we could have a sorta online weight watchers support thing here.

i am 5' 2"
    i weighed in yesterday at 163.6

my goal weight is 135.

so far i've sucessfully stuck to it for 2 days.

i've lost weight on this plan before, and it stayed off for years. it's the only organized diet plan that i think works, and is healthy. it allows you to eat whatever types of food you like.

low point food ideas are always appreciated, too.

anyone in?

peace.
    LP

edit: just saw someone already started a post on this. sorry, but would still love to hear some replies.

2. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Hi. I'm glad you mentioned it. I did the Weight Watchers thing back in the 70s when I needed to take off 20# as a pre-teen. It was quite a struggle. I finally decided now (at 47) that it was time to recapture the control that has abandoned my life.
    While I have not made the commitment to join, I pulled up the old recipes from the 70s and put the diet on the wall. My plan includes weighing and measuring food (cups, spoons and a food scale).
    I'm 5'9 and weigh 198. My goal is 165-170. So far I've lost 22 pounds (beginning April 15th).
    Good luck with your plan and goal.

3. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Just be careful on this plan as it can cause food obsession. We did it for about 2 or 3 years here at work. Sure people lost weight on it and kept it off. I did too. But it made my eating disorder completely out of control (I obsess over calories and such). It is just that you are constantly thinking about food food food and points everything. It is funny I can guesstimate points in my head now just by looking at a label. I guess that is a good thing. Also, they don't explain, at least we only had one leader that ever did in 3 years, that you can't eat whatever you want. People often believe this and they are dead wrong. I mean I imagine you could eat like 4 candy bars a day at 5pts a piece and still lose weight, but wtf is wrong with you if that is the way you eat! LOL. Our leaders didn't tell us to eat a lot of fruits and veggies, so people were under the impression that as long as they were within their points range it was ok. (yeah I know you check off the boxes at the bottom of your book, but people dont' pay attention, they hear you can eat whatever you want and that is what they do) Til they hit the scale that is. It is vitally important to have balance in your diet. And to not only eat "diet" foods. They are often not healthy for you. Eat real dressing every once in a while or put real cream in your coffee or use real butter (you don't want to know what is in that spray shit, or margerine for that matter). You will be better off. Just count the points for it.

And they put way too much emphasis on the scale. As a personal trainer I'm going to tell you that you can be losing fat and not see it on the scale. Happens all of the time. Especially if you are exercising. And most of the time the weight loss you do see on the scale, especially if it is over 2lbs, is all water weight or muscle which is not a good thing. And bone loss as well. But the WW people don't care and they don't listen. That is why I just went to my doctor and got a note so I could go lifetime. Also, they don't put enough emphasis on exercise in my opinion. You really have to work out and do it hard. None of this walking crap for 10 minutes. You aren't going to lose weight doing that. And you won't lose weight lifting soup cans like our leaders have claimed.

I'm not trying to burst any bubbles, it is a decent plan, but just be careful and use your own common sense. :) Good luck.

4. melonhead

melonhead Member

good advice, deadbear...i guess for some people there can be problems. they heavily stress health, now, and that it's important to get all your fruits and veggies, and eat balanced meals and drink all your water...

i enjoy the flexibility...i work in a restaurant, and it's really hard not to eat french fries and creamy soups, but at least i know that if i DO weaken, and eat a few fries, i can still loose weight....

last time i did ww, i worked at a desk and got no excersise. i still didn't work out, and did lose a lot of weight. i guess i got lucky...also i was a bit younger. this time i will work out a little.

this week, i ate some cheesy fries at work, (you get 35 optional extra points every week), and i still lost 2.6 lbs.
    i also started an excersise plan with a friend...unfortunately our scheds only match up 2-3 times a week. better than nothing, i guess. today will be my second work out. damn, i'm sore. but i do feel good, and energetic.

duncan,
    great job so far!!! my mom used to do ww, and the plan has changed significantly since the 70s! my suggestion is that you go and sign up, just to get the new paperwork, and learn about the points system. it's SO much easier than the old fashioned way! even if you're not ready to commit to a weekly weigh in, or can't afford it, definitely learn about the new program.

good luck!
    peace.
    LP