weed isn't harmless....

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by boothy, Apr 24, 2007.

1. boothy

boothy Senior Member

"it's not a drug, it's a herb"

"it's only a plant, a natural plant"

"it's harmless"

some of the stuff posted....

OK, weed is nowhere near as physically harmful as other drugs (especially eaten) and it is relatively safe compared to other things...

however, weed is not "harmless"

due to increasing strength strains, it can have a psychological effect on you, it can affect your mental state. smoking is NOT "harmless", even if it is weed. it isn't as dangerous as cigs, but it is not harmless. it can have an effect on your motivation. more stuff n all.

i take drugs, weed and more, but i would not for one second pretend any are "completely harmless".

i dont mean people should be more careful and think weed is a big deal, because it's not something to get worked up about... all i'm saying is it still can effect many people negatively, and people need to get out of the naive, ignorant approach which is "weed is harmless", because it isn't.

not many things in our world, drugs or otherwise, are completely harmless. it needs to be treated with respect the same as everything.

oh, and it is a drug, so people need to stop saying it isn't [​IMG]

anyone agree?

2. Taylor

Taylor Repatriated

I agree.
    It's about responsible drug use. If you're gonna take mind altering or perception altering substances, you need to acknowledge that this is not a trip that your mind normally would take on its own. You are adding chemicals to your brain and this isn't a normal state for it to be in.

It might not do much harm (ie marijuana) or it might do heaps of harm (long term hard drug use) but you need to be realistic about the effects that it is going to have.

Marijuana is a drug. Heroin is a drug. Alcohol is a drug, as are cigarettes.

Be realistic about it. It doesn't mean you have to stop doing drugs. Just know what you're getting yourself into.

3. jimaug87

jimaug87 Member

I completly agree with you guys. I didn't see this thread and posted one similar to it. You guys can see my argument in there.

4. SirTokesAlot

SirTokesAlot Lives

Yeah boothy I know what your saying.. it really grinds me when people try saying its not a drug or its harmless. Smoking is harmful, period.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member

You're right. It's not great for you. But it's a hell of a lot better for you than smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol, and some other hard drugs. Smoking cigs kills 20 times as many people a year as murder, yet it's legal????

6. AbloodmoneyA

AbloodmoneyA Member

I never understood either how people can say it's not harmful. You're inhaling smoke into your lungs... how is that healthy?

We're humans. And we're all big boys who can make decisions about what to put in our body. And we know what moderation is. The stupid ones will put too much and die off.

7. paintballer687

paintballer687 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

It all depends on how you define harmless. Weed itself is harmless, it cannot cause harm in any way, shape, or form on its own. It can have an indirect effect that causes harm, but it's the user who's the one actually considered harmful. Take bananas for instance; bananas are completely harmless, no ones going to eating a banana split. Now, if you take that banana and shove it down some guy's throat, by your definition it's now harmful. By your definition anything and everything is harmful, it's all relative.

8. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

I'm pretty sure there have been like a million discussions about this.

9. BudToker

BudToker Senior Member

Stop splitting hairs lol. He obviously meant when used by a human.

10. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

When smoked, it is more harmful than when eaten, but in any form weed is a powerful psychoactive drug, like alcohol, that should be used responsibly. This should never be forgotten.

11. smokindude

smokindude Senior Member

Look at those "petes couch stoners" and tell me weed isnt harmless. Weed can take all of your money, motivation, personality, and much more. I admit that weed isnt for young people like me, im still developing mentaly, and personally. Weed can only distract a young kid from being who he really is, unlike the older users who already discovered those characteristics before putting a mind altering substance into them.

12. paintballer687

paintballer687 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Do you know why humans are the top of the food chain, why we have no predators? It's not because we have top of the line physical strenghts, it's because we have the knowledge and ability to use tools. Anything can be harmful when used by a human, likewise anything can be use for beneficial reasons as well. It all depends on the relativity of the statement. If Jimmy is stoned out of his brain, anti-potheads can argue that he's disconnected from reality while potheads can argue it removes the subconcious filth of pre-acknowledged mental associations allowing an improved, cleansed perception. It all depends on how you want it sound. The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

13. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

wow great post. some people need to read this over and over

14. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

Good post my man.

Let us tackle this myth sortof logically.

Strain strength: %THC per mass of plant material

The same varieties of cannibinoids are in both.

You just have to smoke more of the lesser strength herb to have the same amount of THC in your system.

The stronger strains mean you have to inhale less plant matter - good.

So unless one would consider coughing the method in which the lower potentcy herb keeps you from smoking more and reaching the same %THC in your system - how would a more potent strain be worse?

Just kindof pulling this out of my hat so tag a IMHO on it :D

Just thinking.....

15. Share the Warmth

Share the Warmth Member

I wish I had experimented earlier in life; it's had a very positive influence on me. For one, it's reminded me that I love to learn, something I forgot through high school. I looked at the academic work heaped on me with bitterness and resentment, and preferred lifting weights and looked up to "tough guys" as my role models: boxers mainly. This viewpoint did not even entirely disappear through college, though it diminished significantly. Now I look back at my fixation and realize that it was so limited and petty. It just seems silly to me. The world of knowledge and ideas is far vaster, important, and exciting than the world of physical fitness and competition. Marijuana has definitely helped that understanding develop.

Then again, maybe if I found marijuana at that immature age then I'd treat it like a thrill and as a source of fun only. Maybe I'd be ignorant to the greater good the plant can bring, as some stoners I know seem to be, because I'd have started when I was too young to appreciate it.

Something for me to think about.

16. AncientHippie

AncientHippie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If you think about it, pretty much anything and everything in the entire universe is, or has the potential to be, harmfull in some way, shape or form.

17. BudBill

BudBill Dark Helmet

True, moderation in all things.

Love your sig my man -> Office Space I think.

18. 420fuchs

420fuchs speaks the truth.

I agree, although weed is farily harmless (comparably) it's still something, i guess sorry just finished a wake & bake. goin to get a muffin.

19. AncientHippie

AncientHippie Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Thanks Bill. The quote is from Office Space, and it cracks me up every time I see it (even in my own posts).

20. dutch17

dutch17 Member

I think another important thing to think above when discussing how "harmful" something is, is who exactly are we talking about it being harmful to? And what kind of harm is it causing?

The obvious one is physical harm that comes through the inhalation of smoke.

Then you have to think, is there social harm being done? Is American society being harmed by people smoking marijuana?

Then, is there harm being done to individuals directly by people smoking? from second hand smoke to anything else.

there is more to think about that just straight up physical harm.