We were gonna change the world...what happened?

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by mosaicthreads, Mar 11, 2005.

1. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

hip hop hippys

2. Pearl^Grrl

Pearl^Grrl Members

I agree with what some of the others have said already..I believe the late 60s popular culture such as - freedom to express our true selves, tolerance, fighting for peace, connecting back with nature, environmentalism etc in our current western cultures are still echoes from that 60s movement. And eastern spiritual interests too such yoga, Buddhism, meditation etc have all continued to grow in popularity from then to the present day…so I think we can say a “well done guys” for introducing these things in what’s now become so much bigger we can almost call it mainstream…

MeAgain and ~Zen~ like this.
  3. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Well that is very interesting, and as a hippie from the 60s say thank you.

However, we hippies did not fight for peace, that is against our teachings. Fighting was not allowed. Passive resistance is the method we used.

Our site founder wrote extensively about hippies in the book, 'Hippies From A to Z." You can read it for free at this link:
    Hippies From A to Z – Hippyland

4. Pearl^Grrl

Pearl^Grrl Members

Okay I think maybe “fight” was read a little too literally, it’s late here. Yea I actually have that book, I bought it about 20 years ago! I was massively into 60s culture as a teenager,having come from 60s parents

~Zen~ likes this.
  5. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Every now and then this thread gets resurrected. Last time I posted in it, Trump was still the Prez and the election was two months away. We kicked him out, changing the world once again, but the very fact that he was elected shows the ideals we fought for in the 60s were castles made of sand. The hippies received a lot of backlash, and now that same backlash is directed toward liberals, progressives, so-called elitists, etc. I just got back from a road trip and still saw some Trump 2020 signs posted here and there. Change the world? Good luck with that, much of the world will not be changed.

scratcho, MeAgain and ~Zen~ like this.
  6. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

We didn't put a deadline on getting it done.

~Zen~ likes this.
  7. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

To add to Zen's comment, recall the immortal words of John Lennon: "Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity".
    We did the best we could, though. As another of the old hippies, thank you!

scratcho and ~Zen~ like this.
  8. ~Zen~

Wow, that's awesome! I was one of the editors calling myself Martin Trip at the time.

I also wrote the Astrology chapter and created the Hippy Timeline!

It was a work of love, while we hid out in New Mexico for awhile waiting for Y2K to happen, which of course was a joke. I gave up on conspiracy theories after that one!!!

After that we moved back to Amsterdam and continued the development of these sites.

Nice to meet you!

scratcho likes this.
  9. ~Zen~

WoW Angel that is an awesome quote!!!

scratcho likes this.
  10. Angelmama

Well, he was an awesome man! He definitely knew the score..
    I was in many civil rights matches, and when our first black president was elected, I knew that those were not in vain. We did make a difference. Our children were raised to carry on with the changes as well.
    Could we have some better? Probably. But I do believe we made some difference.

11. ~Zen~

I agree with you on that, without the hippies and the peace movement we would probably still be in Vietnam. Unfortunately that spirit is not as strong as it used to be... we need leaders like John Lennon preaching peace, and practicing love towards all. I saw him up close once on St Thomas, he had a wonderful aura about him that encompassed himself and Yoko as they ignored the barrage of reporters harassing them at the airport one day.

12. newo

We tried fucking for peace. That didn't work either.

~Zen~ likes this.
  13. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

14. newo

"I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do, so I'll leave it up to you"

No don't leave it up to me. I don't know what to do either.

Except, "Be the change you want to see in the world" -Ghandi

15. ~Zen~

Gosh I do love that song, played it a lot in college.

16. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think I did a decent job of raising my kids to be able to think for themselves, which to me is good enough. When they were young and they asked me about god--I told them that they would have to decide for themselves about that. When it came to politics, I told them the same thing. Just listen and learn as you go along. Turns out they are not quite as strongly left as I, but after living their lives into their 40s they are almost as such. I find that pleasurable.

I was raised around people that were racist and right wing. Ha ha--fooled them! As far as changing the world--you do what you can do as you go along. I hope I did in some ways.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  17. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

When Max Planck discovered quantum mechanics, he begged his collages to explain the joke, but nobody could. After fifteen years of research I discovered the answer is that time is paradoxical and metaphorical, but all of modern civilization is based on treating time as if it were a machine. Beer and arithmetic made modern civilization possible, but the entire planet has always treated time as if it were merely a Rube Goldberg device that makes some sort of sense, because that's how you make money. To accept reality, we must first embrace the dream, or things get weird fast. The cultural revolution was merely the first clear sign the shit is hitting the fan, because the time is just never what you think it is, until that time rolls round again.

Its networking systems logics, that require decades of study to even begin to comprehend.

18. Angelmama

Well, sometimes it does...after an argument, for example.

19. newo

Yes but it never helped with world peace. But it was a lot of fun failing. :p

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. newo

And don't forget the Fuck for Peace sign:

[​IMG]

~Zen~ likes this.