We were gonna change the world...what happened?

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by mosaicthreads, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

This documentary gives a pretty good account of how your generation changed everything. I especially like the way Peter Coyote describes you guys and the changes toward the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUc2eLe-ruI"]The Sixties - The Years That Shaped a Generation (TV) [2005] - YouTube

2. Naco Kid

Naco Kid Member

The "Back to the Garden" section of this web site is a very telling dynamic of the most unique and successful global youth revolt: the Hippie generation! Truth be told, the Hippie is passing into history. Once upon a time these pages would have kept you reading for hours about the most controversial of social issues, covering threads that spoke and asked about things that would have made previous generations angry, defensive, and blushing, but more importantly, responding!. Past threads wouldn't be on the page for more than a second before it drew an answer, comment or rebuttal. Nowadays, threads sit idle for days, weeks...months! I thought at first that all the action was elsewhere, and all I had to do was scan the other forums to pick up on the voices of today's questioning generation. To be honest, what I read in the posts today are a compromise. If I was to define it, I would say that today's posts reflect the inevitable meeting of what the hippies of the 60s and 70s had bravely challenged the world with, and the world that they inevitably merged their visions and conclusions in to. The level of need for social conscious change that existed in the 60s doesn't exist today like it did back then. In some ways that's a victory for what the hippies had hoped to achieve. They took on some of the hardest of mankind's innate biases: prejudice, hate, waste, indifference. Equally, in other ways it's a nod to the other side of life that marches on from generation to generation. The dreaded status quo! So I shouldn't be surprised at the noticeable decrease in subject and discussion matter in these pages. Like with many things, the absence of something is proof of the success of effort. Not sad about that. The seeds of those efforts are at work today, on a global level. I am gratefully assured that when the needs arise, our offspring around the world will rise to the same occasion and stand up and act when provocation and adversity requires it. To have achieved that amount of worldwide influence: Impressive! The spirit of the Hippie will continue to inspire, because now it's become a part of our human consciousness.

3. Paulwenz

Paulwenz Banned

The first thing we can do is challenge the materialist society?

4. thismoment

thismoment Member

I think the action is elsewhere, like on FB and social media sites I haven't heard of. There may also different patterns of communication and different issues.

I've been going to transformational festivals for several years and there is a lot of sharing of information and co-creation of the music, art, and consciousness.

http://www.realitysandwich.com/conscious_convergences

The change is real and ongoing.

My issue is, there are so few older people involved.

5. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Fuck it man revolution is the game of the young. Reevolution is the game of the old. Sometimes you need to play village elder and point the next generation in the right direction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkaKwXddT_I

I actually got to play music in the room where this was recorded.

C/S,
    Rev J

6. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Some people still buy into the entire hippie look and feel. I am fine with that, but it's not the only way to catch fish. Some people who never thought of themselves as hippies are getting into it without realizing it: Habitat for Humanity, Permaculture, Community Gardens, Green Energy nerds turning science fiction into reality, hard-hitting journalists, there are endless opportunities for creating the kind of world the hippies dreamed about and lots of people getting on board.
    Looks like half of America has got the message, the other half is old school. Hippies got a lot of press in the day, but I see evidence that there are more people with the hippie mindset than back then. Could we all be doing more than we currently are? No doubt!

7. thismoment

thismoment Member

Well, actually I've been doing that, in part through talks at these gatherings I've written about before.

Where was that room?

8. bosnian420

bosnian420 Member

the world only changes you

9. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through

poetry courtesy of David Bowie

stormountainman likes this.
  10. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Studio C at Wally Heider's (aka Hyde St.) Studios in SF.

C/S,
    Rev J

11. outonthetiles

outonthetiles Member

I admire all of you- and the point of the matter is that we have to continue to teach 'em well- make sure the fight goes on beyond us....

12. childofdelight

childofdelight Member

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao Tzu

The Hate yoU Give Little Infants Fucks Everyone

THUG LIFE

Peace

13. RuffStuff

RuffStuff Guest

So what's the real history that has eluded us? Without really knowing what the real history is, history is doomed to repeat itself. You can't change something when you don't know what the root cause is. Did anyone really know what the root causes of real history are? Virtually no one did or does. Many of the finest minds on the planet struggle with the problem yet none prevail. Everyone reacts much like Gilgamesh did when he knew he had to die. Maybe that's one of the root causes. How very sobering and morbid.

14. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Nice thread, and I am sorry to intrude, but I was wondering where Roamy has been. I miss her....:)

15. nlaleme

nlaleme Guest

I so wish I could of lived back then! I would of loved it!! I hope another revolution is coming and another hippie peace movement but for now I'll have to settle for Jerry Jam.

16. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

i think the revolution is continuing, just perhaps slowed down, or quieter. but it cannot will not be stopped.

17. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

hope never dies, right?

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

we're still changing it.
    we have simply never been unopposed, nor can we ever expect to be.
    even and often, by our own egos.

19. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

"The only thing constant in life is change." — François de La Rochefoucauld

stormountainman likes this.
  20. Dax

Dax Members

You sure as hell did change the world ... Hippies were the firsty people to care about our environment. You said No to racism. You dropped out of society and made changes. Peace man!