We wanna do good work

Discussion in 'Consumer Advocacy' started by airam_alone, Jan 31, 2005.

1. airam_alone

airam_alone Member

Me and my lover have been doing a lot of thinking about volunteer work. We love the hot weather and children, so an orphanage in south America sounds good. We know we wanna help, but are worried about making things worse. We don't want to involve ourselves in a program that is about making money. We know that humanitarian actions can spread consumer values, turn tribes into ghetto, and create more babies in places where there are already too many people for the land to support. Does anyone know of any organizations that are right on? We really wanna do good work, but we want to be careful. We would love any advice. Please feel free to e-mail me.
    Airam_alone@hotmail.com

Love and kisses
    Maria Jane

2. TattoedAquarian

TattoedAquarian Senior Member

Well i was pretty involved in Habitat for Humanity over the summer and it didn't seem corrupt at all, but i didn't really investigate the subject... It was really great though - I enjoy construction and helping others so it really worked out well for me... I hope that you two find something that you can really be involved in!

3. TattoedAquarian

It's been a few days since i posted the above comment... Sorry that not many people have responded - I really, really thought that it was cool idea! Perhaps if you do an internet search for volunteer programs in your area you'd have more luck. Goodluck!

4. airam_alone

airam_alone Member

Thanks for the reply. I will check out Habitat for Humanity. I have done a few internet searches on the subject, but I realy wanna know what real folks have to say. It's just so hard to know what an organization is all about, because everyone says that they are right on, you know? I'm not too worried though, I know I will allways end up where ever it is I am suposed to be at:)

5. TattoedAquarian

Update??? ~ How'd it go? - Did you guys find a worthy cause to committ to yet?