We should have listened to George Washington

Discussion in 'Politicians' started by Scarecrow13, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Scarecrow13

Scarecrow13 Members

"However [political parties] may now and then answer popular ends, they are likely in the course of time and things, to become potent engines, by which cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men will be enabled to subvert the power of the people and to usurp for themselves the reins of government, destroying afterwards the very engines which have lifted them to unjust dominion."-George Washington

He did not trust political parties and so never joined one. He could see the issues arising from them. We should vote for individuals based on their views not because of what letter they have by their name.

wrat1, Alice in SC and Sandra Miller like this.
  2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That's a good idea. I'd vote for the republican Teddy Roosevelt if only he were running today.

Sandra Miller likes this.
  3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's a much better way - utilise and improve the Russian (Soviet) system of workers councils (soviets) with the right of recall of any representative delegated to higher soviets.

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have a particular distaste for legislators that commonly vote against the interests of blue collar working people or pass laws to specifically restrict certain segments of the population of getting their votes counted or disdain scientific principles that make sense for us all, among other issues. Yes--I'm a hard ass when it comes to these type people, which from proven evidence, happen to be republicans. I have 81 years under my belt to come to the conclusions that I have made. (although admittedly the first 10 years or so years were concerned more with toys and ice cream !):)

granite45 likes this.
  5. wrat1

wrat1 Members

They (founding fathers) actually envisioned DOZENS of people running for president etc not the flawed 2 party system in place

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I don't think Washington planned for the modern digital age. It's very easy for a few wealthy people to control the system since they can own the media and lobby their way into a parties favor. America has become the monarchy he fought against. Unless you are one of the chosen it's very hard to participate in goverment.

scratcho likes this.
  7. wrat1

wrat1 Members

hey Im in my fifties and Im still concerned with toys and ice cream actually more ice cream but hey

scratcho likes this.
  8. DarthDva

DarthDva Members

based