WE NEED TO ACT NOW

Discussion in 'Politics' started by phil1965, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

wils

I’m not even sure there are any dots to follow can you please explain your thinking ?

Why horror – what is the nature of this classified information – are the UK military horrified – is NATO scratching its head – are you saying you don’t want Putin contained?

2. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wil

Most of this has already been shown wanting in the Brexit thread.

But you posted in it….oh well?

But we already import grain from Canada - Imports accounted for an average 11% of UK wheat demand over the past 10 years, according to the report, although this varied between seven and 20%. The main origins for wheat imports are Germany, Canada and France, typically supplying around two-thirds of UK imports. High protein wheat is often sourced from Germany and Canada.

What products does the EU dictate to be bought in from China?

How are we been scammed by China?

Where is this story from because I can’t find it. I mean here is a historical overview

The Irish dairy industry: a historical perspective

Error - Cookies Turned Off

And what is it meant to demonstrate in this context – I’ll repeat - Around 30% of all food consumed in the UK is imported from the EU, a lot of that is fresh produce, it is viable because we are close to those countries and have a well-established (and frictionless) trading systems.

Where is that quote from because I can’t find it – and I can’t find anything on the EU limiting let alone stopping milk or dairy exports to UK?

Yes the English government wishes to put a border down the Irish sea that is likely to cause disruption to trade but that’s not the fault of the EU.

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wil

Can you explain that?

I mean it is the English government that wishes to put up borders not the EU

It is not up to them to give us a good deal they are going to try and get the best deal for them – like in most trade negotiations it is the weaker that gets the worse deal and in this we are in the weaker position.

Where is this recording – I can’t seem to find any evidence of it.

Can you produce the news headlines you cite?

Thing is that by leaving the EU the English government was saying it wanted the UK to be in competition with the EU. I mean one of the themes of Brexit was to bring about the collapse of the EU by showing how much better the UK would be outside the EU by getting better trade deals and cutting corners through deregulation.

Remainers at the time warned that this was silly and that by leaving the UK would become weaker and so it would not get any better deals that it already had and more likely to get worse ones and that divergence of regulation would only lead to greater tariffs when exporting to the EU.

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

But the US is the home of the KKK it – it is also the home of the SLPC.

How is pointing out that there are racists in the US been ant-American why is pointing out that there are racists in the UK been anti-British?

Sorry you seem to have missed answering the question

What is a ‘western attitude’ and how is pointing out racism an ‘anti-western attitude’ and who do you identify as ‘westerners’?

5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mal

Interesting that many other reviews didn’t mention asylum seekers

Anyway – I ask again do you know what laws cover asylum seekers

What would be your solution?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
  6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

The UK has a high population density but not the highest in Europe

P/Km2

Netherlands – 508

Belgium – 383

UK – 281

Germany – 240

Italy – 206

France – 119

Oh and Malta - 1,380

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Dislike even hatred of the ‘other’ is nothing new just look at how the Irish refugees to America were viewed

The refugees seeking haven in America were poor and disease-ridden. They threatened to take jobs away from Americans and strain welfare budgets. They practiced an alien religion and pledged allegiance to a foreign leader. They were bringing with them crime. They were accused of being rapists. And, worst of all, these undesirables were Irish.

https://www.history.com/news/when-america-despised-the-irish-the-19th-centurys-refugee-crisis

You get the same tropes appearing time and again in connection to refugees.

8. lode

lode Banned

Your country doesn't have enough babies to support your social safety net. You old euro trash should thank your lucky stars that there are enough people who want to come to your island.

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Yes the UK has an aging population and what is more many of the people who look after our old people are from the EU or elsewhere.

EU nationals currently make up 104,000 of those working in care in the UK, and that number is rising. Most work in London and the south, and many provide 'live-in care' which helps older people stay in their own homes.- AgeUK

Over 67,000 NHS staff in England are EU nationals - 5.5% of all staff. Overall, 13.8% of NHS staff say that their nationality is not British - NHS

10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Try asking someone like Stormountain. Who seems to believe that western nations like the US should take in migrants en masse. Yet simultaneously believes the US is run by the KKK, an organization that is hostile to immigrants. He is the prime example of the double-think i originally pointed out. Maybe he could better explain his double think and mental contradictions on why mass migrants would thrive in a “racist” country.

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Still not the answer to the question - what is a ‘western attitude’ and how is pointing out racism an ‘anti-western attitude’ and who do you identify as ‘westerners’?

Are you saying you don’t know?

Then why say such things?

12. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

Agree, a friend of mine works for a government department (no names) and he was telling me that one group of 'migrants' who had been allowed to stay here were given vouchers to get a satnav from a certain large store, apparently they were having trouble finding their way about when driving as they didn't speak or read English!
    Another one had 5 kids and a wife, he complained that things over here were hard for them, shopping, getting the kids to school and such as he didn't have a vehicle, so they gave him a voucher to go to a car dealership, he then complained the amount wasn't enough as he had a total of 7 people in the family, so they upped the price to allow him to get a people carrier! Several weeks later he was seen driving a nice new BMW, when asked why he'd not got the people carrier, his reply was 'sod the wife and kids, they can walk'.
    Now what really annoys me is this, I have worked all my life and paid my taxes, my wife earns less than £20k a year working in the NHS yet when I came out of work I was told I was not entitled to any benefits as my wife worked!
    There are people on benefits getting more than those who work and it's wrong, it's even more wrong when the migrants are getting everything they want, no wonder they come here.

13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

There is a perception that we take in more asylum seekers than others in Europe that we are getting drowned in refugees but when you look at the numbers we are one on the lowest in Europe

Number of people applying for asylum in 2018 per 1,000 of population

UK – 0.569

Germany – 2.225

France – 1.977

Spain – 1.158

Greece – 6.234

Number of asylum claims accepted

UK 6%

Germany 22%

France 17%

Spain 16%

Greece 10%

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Phil

A couple of questions Phil- what did you vote for in the Brexit referendum and who did you vote for in the last general election?

15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Phil

Oh please no not the friend of a friend’s dog once told me…..these tales have been spread for years – remember all the stuff about welfare mums driving Cadillac’s and benefit scroungers getting more than those who work or own yachts or have gold plated Ferrari's...

Have you anything verifiable have you got the statistics?

I mean think about it – in just one statement you bemoan the system because you can’t get benefits because your wife works and in the next breath you say the system is too generous and allows people on benefits to get more than those who work.

What is it that the benefits system is too generous or not generous enough?

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

17. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Why "Interesting " is that your way of saying you dealt with the question (again ) ? they come from tents and shacks at the other side of the channel and we put them in a four star hotel ! and yet you say we are "tough " on them ? fucking god help them , wonder why they want to be in this "tough " place ?

Candy Gal and jimandjan like this.
  18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Mal

Again – Ido you know what laws cover asylum seekers

What would be your solution?

19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I just don’t get it

England has the highest Covid death rate in Europe and the crappest economic results but the right wing media show a photo of some refugees in a dingy and you totally lose your shit and forget about everything else.

How are you so easily manipulated?

granite45 likes this.
  20. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

And from the other side of the pond......Obama tried ad infinitum to have real immigration reform all to no avail thanks to Mitch and hard core Republicans who wanted to see Obama fail more than America succeed. And those fleeing oppression and poverty, the US bears a lot of responsibility for economic oppression in the 3rd world. Our military actions have reaped a plethora of people who suffer horrors in their country as a consequence. Saw all that BS about welfare cheats here also....none of it true and a pittance compared to give aways to the already wealthy.

Idlewild and Balbus like this.