We need better hate speech laws in the USA

Discussion in 'Politics' started by unfocusedanakin, Feb 10, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The concept of "freedom of speech" is deeply important to America. So much so we allow hateful and faculty wrong things to be said along the historical facts. Recently the Alt-right has jumped on this to deny the Holocaust and say horrible racist things since we need "hear both sides". If you can not accept this it is you who is the fascist.

If they had their way though they would not give this to those who disagree with them. Their whole philosophy is based on racial dominance and strong leaders who do not allow society to deviate. This is why "fake news" is such a buzzword for them. There is one established state news source (Fox News) and there is no need for anything else. If they had their way CNN, the BBC, and other networks that show the right win Trump voter as a racist fool would not exist. Since they have fake information it's dangerous to let the people think it's true.

Recently the term "presidential harassment" has come out. You can not say mean or untrue things about our dear leader. Somehow that is wrong for our democratic society. So why can we not have laws on saying mean or untrue things about the Jewish or Muslim people? It the same concept.

This is not an issue in European countries such as Germany or England because they have strong hate speech laws. Yet they also have freedom of speech. England has no specific passage about freedom of speech in the laws as far as I know. Their laws are not in one document like the American constitution they come from many documents passed over the centuries. The freedom of speech is implied from all the laws. In the German media although you can not deny the Holocaust you can say anything you want to criticize laws or goverment. There is even still a Nazi party. They can not protest and march in public as easily as they can in America. So even with hate speech laws there is the freedom to hate. This proves to me that a society can set limits and still have no limit.

Freedom of speech exists so you can hear what you do not want to hear. I believe it is important for a democratic society. We need to challenge the status quo or we will never evolve. Who decided can be said and what can not? That is a slippery slope that leads to censorship. However, we should not be afraid to set limits on things that challenge democracy. We can say anything we want and still decide that when some things are said that person has labels themselves as a danger to peaceful society.

2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

That's hate speech!!

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  4. storch

storch banned

Sounds like you hate his speech. So I guess that's hate speech.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

No, I think the rules are you can speak hatefully about those that use hate speech. If they're white men at least.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

No, we need to tone back the PC bullshit.

Stopping people from saying stuff doesnt change the way they think.

More free hate speech!

7. storch

storch banned

Well can I speak hatefully about those who would make it a crime for me to speak hatefully about them . . . or something like that?

8. 6-eyed shaman

Trigglypuff

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Maccabee likes this.
  9. storch

storch banned

She was full of hate.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I also Lulz.

11. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The laws in the UK are very complex, but they work well.
    While even extreme Muslims are free to speak about the 300 years of conflict that has culminated in the current situation, they are not free to promote any unlawful means of finding a solution.
    Who knows. Hopefully one day this may pave the way to finding a diplomatic solution that will break the deadlock, by making them realize that while the UK government will never tolerate terrorism, we are not unsympathetic to the problems that face minority groups in the east.
    Perhaps this is one area where we do not exactly see eye to eye with the US, but as I am sure that you already know, we will never harbor criminals who have committed or are planning violence in your country .

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I'm curious, are extreme Muslims free to talk shit about the Jews?

13. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

All ten Jews living in England.

tumbling.dice likes this.
  14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I am not an expert in British law, it is our daughter who has to monitor speakers corner.
    As I understand it, they can discuss the reasons why the feel aggrieved about actions in the past, but not about any solutions involving race hatred or violence.
    Anything stretching the limits will be stopped the moment that their is a risk of breech of the peace and the perpetrators would be banned from the area, either permanently or for a period of time on a first offence.
    The laws of liable still apply to free speech, so any 'shit' (as you put it) could land them up arrested, tried and facing a prison sentence.

15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Yes, it's a tough thing to regulate. I really admire the way your country does it.

We don't need more hate in anything. It's sad that basically being a dick has become some sort of moral stand. I would hope for a world where people can understand the nuisances. Many of the people who say we need hate speech also have an issue with their particular group being spoken poorly of.

For example I see a lot of desire to censor Antifa from the white supremacist/ alt-right segment I am speaking of and for the same reason. The philosophy is counter to what the country and society stands for. To them it's un-American to be left wing and tolerant this will destroy our society. To me it's un-American to care only for the white race and not accept forigners into the country, this will destroy our society.

It's really just human respect and decency we have lost. Listen to what your mother told and be nice. And as I said I certainly don't want to censor people just because I don't agree. I'm not an expert of Australian laws on this but I would not be surprised if they are simialr to what I am talking about. If they are do you fell less free?

wilsjane likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You can pretty much do and say what you want.in Australia without fear of repurcussion. If you're offended by somebody else, you just get to told to pucker up, Princess. :D

The way it should be.

17. 6-eyed shaman

This thread is a daily reminder that liberals believe that, "I'M OFFENDED!" is a valid argument.

WritersPanic and Irminsul like this.
  18. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Well let's take away our rights to speak freely and to have weapons. Also let's take away any money from people we deem to be 'too much'. And finally we can build Trump's wall to keep everyone in. Then it will be a true worker's paradise.

WritersPanic and Irminsul like this.
  19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I just dont get the logic of that argument at all. Not about the white only part. But the part about not being picky as to who we let in the country.

You actually look at the numbers and the US is more immigration friendly than Europe and Sth East Asia

There arent really any countries that dont cherry pick who they let in. Pretend to be liberal doesnt make it true.

And even if you are pretty much downright racist with immigration, how exactly is that going to destroy your society. Japan is a perfect example.

Most people are going to care more about jobs, mortgage rates, crime, prices than whether we are culturally diverse enough on noobs

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Japan is something like 96% Japanese.