We need a middle name.

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by moon_flower, Jun 30, 2006.

1. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

So, Pres and I have come up with a first name for the baby....Alexis. We both like the meaning (helpful; pretty), and neither of us know anyone with the name....so it's not too common around here.
    We're stuck on the middle name. I like Lily, but he doesn't think it rolls well together....and I agree, I'm just smitten on the name. :p He's always heard that the middle name should be one that's passed down through the family, but I'm not so traditional....plus, I've never heard that. We don't want to hurt either of our mothers feelings....so, we're avoiding that whole thing. And, my grandma's middle name is my middle name (Ann), but we think that's too many A's.
    So, I figured, who better to ask than you very qualified ladies.
    Any suggestions would be great. :D
    Thanks.

2. rainbow

rainbow Member

we are considering Lily as a first name!

my middle name is Hope, and is a family name, although i am not traditional either, i've always liked it. people have always said that they thought it was original, and asked if my parents were hippies~they werent!

good luck, i'm sure whatever you pick will be beautiful!

3. Grim

Grim Wandering Wonderer

Megatron.

4. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

Aww...Brian was kinda hoping you'd pick Malilee...:)

Anyway, since Lee is a family name for your Beau, why not choose LeeAnne?

Alexis LeeAnne?

5. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

How about a nature name like Snow or Star? Or Moon like your screen name!

Alexis Snow
    Alexis Star
    Alexis Moon

I think those all sound beautiful.

6. mark echo

mark echo Member

i've always wanted to use Heartsong as a middle name, but it's a little far out.

7. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

Hmmm you've got me thinking for you!! Are you thinking outside the box?? Or pretty traditional?

Alexis Rose
    Alexis Dawn
    Alexis Hanni (pronounced like honey)
    Alexis ...hmmm you got me thinking!!!:)

8. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

:D Tell Brian I pushed for it, Holli! I really liked that name. But, Preston fell in love with the name Alexis.
    I don't really know what path we're taking as far as the middle names....I just know for her first name, we didn't want anything that EVERYONE has. I had to deal with 7 other Megans in school, and it was torture. Prestons name isn't too common, and he liked it that way. So, I guess with the middle name, anything that sounds smooth with Alexis. (I really like the Alexis Rose, critter!)
    Thanks to everyone else for the suggestions! I'll let Preston know them.

9. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Hmmm..I don't have a middle name...ever thought of just the first and last?

10. HippyFreek

Well, as far as how many Alexis' you'll find....in the next couple of months, watch how many times you hear that name.

Brian and I fell in love with the name Chloe when I was about 5 and a half months. We decided on it as her name. And then, for the next month, we heard it NONSTOP. And promptly decided against it.

Keep your options open. Pick several names and choose once you meet her.

11. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Rhiannon :)

I like that one
    If I ever have another girl we're naming her that.

12. lovelightlisa

lovelightlisa Senior Member

Alexis Jocelyn (josslynn)
    Alexis Raihan (sweet basil- it's a arabic boys name- but i actually know 2 beautiful girls called raihan so...)
    Alexis Dharma
    Alexis Iman (eemahn)- means faith
    Alexis Shanti (peace, indian name)
    Alexis Freya (after the godess)

13. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

I don't have a middle name either. Sometimes I enjoy watching people try to wrap their heads around the concept. They think I must have dropped from the sky or something because "EVERYONE has a middle name!"

I think Alexis is a lovely name :) It's a greek name, meaning "Protector of mankind."

Keeping in spirit with the first name you chose, what about:

Adonia - means beautiful
    Ariana - means holy
    Athena - goddess of wisdom
    Cosima - means universe / harmony (kind of a strange name, but sounds pretty)
    Eirene - means peace
    Sophia - means wisdom
    Yolanda - means modest / violet flower

There are baby name searches out there where you can search just by meaning... and you can find hundreds of names for one meaning. Looking up "Peace" I found 59 names in one search engine. I bring up name meanings because when we were considering names for my daughter, I desperately wanted to name her Katherine. We thought Katherine Marie sounded wonderful until we looked up name meanings and realized that that meant quite literally "pure bitterness." I doubt you're going to come up with anything nearly that awful with Alexis, but... just in case ;)

love,
    mom

14. FallenFairy

FallenFairy Senior Member

how about

trejanique
    capri
    treasure
    zel
    gabriella

I will think of some more as te day passes

15. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Alexis Liliana* (as it combines Lily and Ann) would be lovely :)

OK now for my total name-nerd who overanalyses these things jig...

Hate to break it to you, but Alexis isn't 'unique' at all. It's been in the top 20 [as in at least one per class] for over a decade.
    Lily is just into the top 40, so not as common but getting that way.

Stats for both ...
    http://www.behindthename.com/top/search.php?terms=alexis&popterm=&gender=both
    &
    http://www.behindthename.com/top/search.php?terms=lily&popterm=&gender=both

As a compromise of sorts how about one of the more unusual variants of Alexandra (from which Alexis derives), and then use Alexis as a nickname?

It is a nice name, otherwise it wouldn't be so well used, but wouldn't want you to be hoping for something uncommon then be dissapointed.

16. HippyFreek

yep...malilee might just be a better choice...:p

17. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

Hey, maybe if you can't decide, and want to include both grandma's, combine parts of their names! That's how we got Leane's name! It was supposde to be one of her middle names (family middle name, margrethe, is the middle name she has and would haev been the other one), and her first name was supposed to be Austyn, but it just didn't suit her one little bit.
    Cody's mom's middle name is Lea and my mom's mane is Anita, so we got Leane (it's supposed to be pronounced LeannA)

18. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Alexis Carla

19. SilverClover14

SilverClover14 Senior Member

I REALLY like Alexis Liliana. I knew a girl named Liliana once and have always thought it was one of the prettiest names ever... but only if it's pronounced with a soft a rather than the a sound line in Anne.

20. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Oh yea, I knew that. I just meant....it's not common around here. :D
    Plus, it's just about the only name I had that Preston liked. He likes Lily....but he says that he likes Alexis more. He was thinking maybe Alexis Grace. We're still debating and I'm showing him all of your replies. :)
    Thanks, mamas.