We need a diverse virus task force

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Apr 4, 2020.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

It seems like we should embrace those ideas, yes.

I think inclusion is immensely important, the earlier on the better. As soon as we can we should be teaching our children that they can become the next world class virologist/microbiologist or what have you.

It's important that ethnic minorities be included into that angle. Sometimes their cultural backgrounds don't provide the thought-pathways for these sorts of aspirations to feel possible or realistic. I believe that where there's a will there's a way, and that any of these kids can become our most powerful asset.

Similarly, females aren't always given the best inroads to success in that they sometimes are given or even just imagine expectations that they be at least mostly domestic. But it's time to put the right shoes on their feet and watch as they succeed.

I saw a situation in a television series where one antagonist was motivated by thoughts that his culture was being replaced by multiculturalism. He felt that "white" culture was devalued when people embraced multiculturalism.

I feel like this sort of thing exists in our real world the same as it does in the television series! There are those who fear a multicultural revolution of sorts, or at least that white people aren't being given the same opportunities as multicultural people.

The same can be said for gender equity. There are some people who feel like women being given opportunities violates the age-old status quo of some sort.

I couldn't agree more that it's important that multicultural entities & women be given equal opportunities; but was that what you were asking?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    unfocusedanakin likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

On a more serious note, I could preach about morality / faux morality to you, but after bat virus dissipates, I just don't see the worlds multi nationals NOT reducing risk and going back to supply chains totally reliant on China

You are Korean background right? Sth Korea will come out of this way better than China

And tourism, once travel restrictions are lifted, people aren't going to go visit bat virus hotspots, Italy, Spain, China they are going to go places relatively untouched, that kind of thing will last a decade.

There will be all that kind of, let's call it tidal racism for years to come

3. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Yes this should apply to all hiring practices. Qualification is the highest merit in landing a job. A Burger King manager wants an efficient staff for the same reason a medical research team wants the most efficient staff.

If I'm hiring someone, I'm not gonna judge an applicant based on their ethnicity, race, or sexual orientation. That's very superficial. Instead I'm going to take the MLK JR approach and judge the applicant based on the quality of their character and knowledge for the job. Hiring based on superficial traits like race, gender, sexuality, age, physical attraction, is an act of prejudice.

If the most qualified applicant is a plain white guy, I'm gonna hire him. If the most qualified applicant is a bi-racial transgender lesbian muslim with disabilities, I will hire that person.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  4. Gul Dukat

Gul Dukat Kanar, anyone?

That's certainly the right attitude, and if all employers had it folks wouldn't think the quotas necessary. It's definitely an imperfect solution to an imperfect problem.

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

Oh another page where we insult groups of people wearing red hats..

I wonder if and when any of you will ever grow up..

6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

'

White people can file discrimination lawsuits. Laws apply to them too it's not a 1 way street. But most of the laws exist because racism still does, It'd be nice to not need any laws but without them we see different results. The culture of white people deciding everything is fine so any special treatment means white people are victims does not help. I don't think special treatment is fair for any type of person but without some special attention a Trump style view on gender and race becomes part of the workforce.

Workplace discrimination is illegal. But our data shows it’s still a huge problem.

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I like to think of it more as a gentle coaxing to logic. Standing up for America.

8. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Can you please link to some specific posts on here where people have said this. Thanks in advance

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  9. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Yeah, we really shouldn't have created this thread designed to mock the "other side"

Oh wait ;)

10. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Please God that the crew working on the cure include Islamic people, Indian people, African people, females, anybody who can help. Feeling greatful for talented immigrants with medical qualifications. of whatevah sex. We don't need polarization and partisanship. Can we all pull in the same direction on this one.

11. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

*shakes head*

Japanese. Ya know the people who subjected the Koreans. Murdered their men and forced their women into prostitution. Basically, I'm the asshole Asian

unfocusedanakin and Asmodean like this.
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

They will come out of this a lot better than China too

13. 6-eyed shaman

Take a look at SoulCompromise’s and Unfocused’s posts. Both seem to favor diversity based hiring over practicality based hiring practices

14. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

So no link?

Shame :(

15. soulcompromise

I can see that my post is lost on you this time 6. What I'm really saying is that diversity is essential. I definitely see, especially in this time of crisis, why it's important to have the most talented, and highest performing professionals on our task.

How or why are you removing diversity from that? Do you think there's a risk that affirmative action will persuade job offerers to hire under-qualified prospects? I don't see anything else that makes sense, frankly.

I hope there are many potential candidates to fight the coronavirus fight who are the "other", men and women, trans, bi, gay, whatever... I think that these ethnicities and identities belong, and we should embrace them even if it's challenging to do so.

Tishomingo likes this.
  16. soulcompromise

I don't think that's even a thing.

Color over quality isn't what I'm saying at all. You absolutely can have both. And I think that part of the fight is recognizing that fact, and reaching out to those of color or gender or whatever and hiring them. The likelihood is that they are underprivileged, marginalized, and in need of recognition.

17. No. If you are hiring people of color, you are forsaking quality. The hip forums racists have spoken.

18. 6-eyed shaman

You want me to post links that go to the exact same thread you’re already on? This is next-level intellectual laziness

19. 6-eyed shaman