We Built This City

Discussion in 'Music' started by newo, May 27, 2004.

1. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

VH1 just ran something like the 50 most annoying songs, and this song by Starship came in first! Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of this song, and it sounds like a sell-out by Grace Slick, but worse than Achy-Breaky Heart (#2) and Everybody Wang-Chung Tonight (#3)?

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I've heard a lot about how horrible it is, but I've never actually heard it. Can it really be that bad, though? What about everything by Madonna? And Blinded by the LIght, or whatever. And that Mellencamp song.. "Red on the Scarecrow, blood on the plow?" I don't know if that's how it goes.... but it makes me throw up.

3. aeshna5

aeshna5 Member

I don't find it annoying at all + think it's a good commercial radio record. There are millions of worse songs, how about Barbie Girl by Aqua for starters.

4. newo

If a bonafide commercial band had done this song exactly the same it wouldn't catch so much flak. Again I say it's a Grace Slick sellout, but did everyone expect her to remain an anti-establishment hippie forever?

5. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

That song is pretty sticky, it's mid-eighties lameness stays with you. Especially since it mentions "building this city on rock and roll," and its not even a rock and roll song!

All songs mentioned so far deserve it, especially Wang Chung.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Strikes me that Grace 'sold out' much earlier - ever hear 'Dreams' or even 'Dragonfly'?

7. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

okay, first of all, youd have a better opinion if you actually remember when that song released and how annoying it was at the time. The song was constantly played on the radio.... the whole song was cheesy as hell. Id agree that it is the worst song ever. Sara was another Starship song that was pretty lame. I agreed with most of the songs on the list, Phil Collins Sussidio, Barbie Girl by Aqua, Dancin on the Ceilin by Lionel Ritchie........ among others. But the one which I thought should have been higher on the list was Toby Keith's Red White and Blue.

8. newo

If you want to get technical you could say they sold out in the beginning as Jefferson Airplane with some of those sticky-sweet ballads sung by Marty Balin.

When We Built This City comes on the radio I want to change the channel, but there are plenty of other songs which make me want to throw the radio out the window!

9. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

yea. that vanilla ice song was soo much worse. he is now on my hit list

10. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

well I live in england where jefferson only ever had two hits - 'white rabbit' and 'we built this city'. Quite a journey there - imagine if you'd only ever heard the singles!

Shit! I forgot, and even worse, 'nothings going to stop us now'. Which is pure shite.

11. jerry420

jerry420 Doctor of everything Lifetime Supporter

thats why my computers are my radios, ive nearly aquired every song ive ever liked and when i click on winamp and set it on random...brings tear to me eye;)

12. thisismike

thisismike Overlooked/Uninvited

How a band can go from Surrealistic Pillow to We built this city, confounds me

13. butterfly

butterfly Member

Have you people heard of "the cheeky girls"?

14. newo

First, it's not the same band, in fact I believe Grace Slick was the only member of Airplane on this song. Second, it's like asking how can a country go from the radical 60s to the materialistic 80s. Times change and so do the styles.

15. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

ohhh man, Vanilla Ice kicks so much ass! His song 'Ice Ice Baby' is a classic. It's one of those few songs tht EVERYONE knows at least SOME of the words to!

16. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

But dude, jefferson starship is terrible. It's a DISGRACE. I completely agree with them putting on as the 1st.

17. aeshna5

aeshna5 Member

White Rabbit wasn't a hit in UK (check Guiness hit singles). We built this city was 1st of 3 hits culminating in ultra-commercial no.1 Nothings gonna stop us now; which no doubt those who disliked 1st hit will be even more contemptuous of! Shame Miracles wasn't hit here as it was in US; a great mood song.

18. Zeppelingirl

Zeppelingirl Member

'We built this city' was like my favorite song when I was like 5~haha

You have to remember-- it was not Jefferson Airplane man, it was friggin Starship. There's a big difference between the Airplane and Starship.