We all die, mannn

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Disarm, Jan 29, 2005.

1. LuMpYtRiChOmEy

LuMpYtRiChOmEy Member

--Its everything we could ever imagine. -Every posibility is filled.

2. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

I don't find that possibility at all depressing, like you say, I won't care if I am dead. I am much the same as you, bet on reincarnation, not sure what happens, since I have no memory of being dead myself. I look at this body as a vehicle, or vessel, which will hopefully feed some hungry scavengers when I don't need it anymore. I see death as a huge adventure, and hope that I won't just cease to exist. I am quite confident in my belief that there is an afterlife, though exactly what happens, who knows?

3. TARABELLE

TARABELLE on the road less traveled

I just loved that book. I especially was fascinated by the people (forget what they were called) that observed impartially, without prejudice. The book's example was if you asked them what color was that building?, they would answer the wall facing us is red, making no assumption about the walls they could not see. So cool.

4. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

I've only just seen this - I fully agree...

As for the idea being depressing, I don't think it's depressing at all - in fact I find it a great comfort knowing that my death will allow other things to grow - I actully plan on donating my body to medical science (like my nan did, and I believe my father will also), and anything that's left over, i hope will be used in a way that's best for the planet...

5. TARABELLE

Donating your BODY or your organs? My mom donated her body (they use them for medical student cadavars mostly) but I've only donated my organs so far and planning for the rest to be cremated. You are very cool to do that - there is a shortage of bodies for medical use.

6. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

My whole body... I'm interested, why do you want to be cremated?

7. TARABELLE

I don't really understand the embalming, dudeing up the body, casket, whole burial thing. Cremation seems more ecologically friendly, less morbid and is cheaper. I don't want to be kept around in an urn, though - that's strange, too. Scattered over the Grand Canyon would be my preference. However, donating your body is a fine option and I'm not ruling that out. I have donated my organs as of now. Aren't you kinda young to be having this all thought out?

8. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

The only problem I have with cremation is that you're burning up all the goodness your body has to offer the earth... Sod the "embalming, dudeing up the body, casket, whole burial thing" - just throw whatever's left of me in a cardboard coffin and put me under the ground...

9. TARABELLE

Yes, I agree all that stuff is useless and is just preying on grieving loved ones vulnerablity. Now, I'm wondering what they do with whatever is left of you when you give your body to medicine / science? Do they cremate it, or bury it? Never thought about it before (regarding my mom).

10. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

hhhmmm, come to think of it, I've got a feeling that anything which is not used (or whatever's left) is probally cremated... as you said before, it's just easier, not to meantion safer...

I guess, in doing that, it spoils the idea of giving back to the planet... however, hopefully, the medical knowledge my body gives the new wave of doctors, should be more than enough to serve the world in some way after I'm gone.

11. TARABELLE

Absolutely commendable!

12. mati

mati Member

In dreams, when I die, I wake up. So maybe there is just a bump into the next dream, or life, life being a dream.

13. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

I love the idea that life is a dream.. i think it's one of the more, uumm, i dunno - 'romantic' - ideas to be able to wake up from this nightmare, and discover that we actully live in utopia - would be cool if true, but alas, i highly doubt it..

14. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

brings to mind an old zen story:

student: roshi, what happens to us when we die?

master: i don't know.

student: but you're a zen master - you have to know!

master: yes, a master am i - but not a dead one!

heh...

15. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

i believe our bodies return to the earth to nourish new life. our souls rest, then we are either resurrected for heaven, or we cease to exist.

16. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I think this subject intrests humans so much because it is something that we can just never know. We can only speculate. And boy do us humans love to speculate!

17. The World of Dan

The World of Dan FSMFTW

I personally think death is the only absoloute.... things need to die in order for things to live.. you WILL die.. but the fact is that no one can predict your death, or say what happens after death. so why worry?

As they say "always look on the bright side of death" *do-do do-do do-do-do*

18. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

.i would like to think we would all go straight to heaven .but sadly for some (we haveto go through spiritual plains ) and learn knowledge "whilst we are there " . hell is lower plains ".............believe me you will reach heaven good soul /peace /

19. TheStoon

TheStoon Member

Do cats go to heaven? What about sharks?

Do they have any concept of heaven?

The way I see it, being completely athiest, is that we are born, we live, we die. No more, no less - what happens when you die? Depends on what you choose to do with your corpse, you could become worm food, and reenter the lifecycle that way, or you could become a puff of smoke.

Our intelligence is nothing but an evolutionary advantage, its the way humanity survives - we are weak in most other areas. This intelligence leads to us trying to justify our existance, or elevate us over the "lesser" animals. But really when it comes down to it we are all the same.

So I ask again, do cats go to heaven? If not, why not, and what makes people assume we are so special?

20. BlackGuardXIII

BlackGuardXIII fera festiva

arrogance makes humans assume they are so special, just plain old egotism.

I have seen things that convinced me death is not the end........but that is something I have no desire to try to make anyone else believe.