ways you save money

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Wild Mountain Dave, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

DAMN ~

you're GOOD!!! :cheers2:

2. *°GhOsT°LyRiC°*

*°GhOsT°LyRiC°* Supporters HipForums Supporter

*taking notes from BBAD*

3. Wild Mountain Dave

Wild Mountain Dave Rainbow

This would be more feasible if not for my two kids and wife. My wife does fair some of the time but the kids have no clue (6-3). I will make another diligent effort here and see if I can get better results.I am going to wrap my water heater with insulation and cover my basement window wells and windows. I think that will be a substantial help as well. If I can get the kids and wife to hang clothes instead of call them dirty once worn one time and have my daughter take shorter showers, I know that would be a huge savings too_Oh, and I'm commited now to washing all clothes in cold water. screw it. My clothes aint that damned dirty.

4. Wild Mountain Dave

I know a woman who gets all the "free" stuff from craigslist then turns around and puts like a 20 dollar price tag on it. She has a garage full of crap but I know she's probably making 1-3 hundred dollars a month.

5. hiro

hiro pursue it

Get on the budget wise plan with your electric company. That way you know how much you are spending every month and it doesn't flux every month.... at the end you either get a credit back or your plan goes up some.

Since I've been pregnant John and I don't drink much any more and that is saving us a huge amount every month. Also, I only fill up my car every two or three weeks so that saves about another thirty dollars.

Plan meals ahead and see if coupons can help you out, I have started saving $12 a week shopping this way.

Check for leaky toilets... that saved us a about $5 a month on water since we had a leaky toilet.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

I used to put a free towing ad in the paper and people would give me cars....

steel $250 a ton ..most cars are more than a ton ...trucks can be 2 to 3 tons
    rads 70 cents a pound
    catalytic converters $40-$300 each as scrap
    alum wheels $15-$20 each

easy money.....until the price of scrap metals dropped....now I dont even take cars that are free:(

edit...Canadian dollars:hat:

7. Wild Mountain Dave

my drinkin bill is 230.00 monthly. I know we have wiggle room in our grocery bill if we'd just be smarter about how we go about it.

8. hippiehillbilly

hippiehillbilly the old asshole

lol,, groceries.. use the dollar rule,no meat over 2 bucks a pound and no veggies over a dollar a pound,and no processed prepackaged food period... commit to that and you will save a fortune..

9. Wild Mountain Dave

i like the 1.29 a pound rule myself. We eat lots of chicken as a result but damn, chickens good and you can do a ton with it. I like to cook so i dont ever bother with pre... foods. ok, now and again I will get some wings or a pizza but its rare. I'd like to buy a side of beef to save money but hell I did some checkin and it is around 4 bucks a pound here.

10. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

HHB, if you lived here, you'd never eat meat if you didn't have your own livestock and farm animals. If I ever find meat for under $2.50 a pound, it's a miracle. We eat porkchops about as rarely as we eat steak because it's damn near $4 a pound anymore. Fucking ridiculous.

11. hippiehillbilly

to be honest we are a bit out of touch on the groceries.. hell we are out of touch on everything to be quite honest. you (dave)spend about a 100 bucks more a month on alcohol than we do on groceries..lol
    the reason we use the 2 dollar rule is because the only meat we buy at the grocery store is beef,and needless to say only when its on sale.

if your back yards big enough why not grow a garden this year?

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i usually get a pound of hot dogs for about a buck...

13. Wild Mountain Dave

I damn sure will grow a garden this year. I am very excited about it. I just need to find out best place in the yard for it. Yeah we drink alot. 2 kegs a month. If I bought 6 packs my cost would almost double.

14. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You could install solar panels and sell the reserve back to the utility company for a nice profit [​IMG] or you could keep your wife pissed-off 24/7 and let her heat up the house by blowing off some steam :eek:

Hotwater

15. Wild Mountain Dave

thats what I do now. Not the solar panel part but the other. LOL. solar panels are a great idea but initial investment is more than I have right now. Maybe next year. I do like that idea alot, though.

16. hippiehillbilly

solar is a wonderful dream,what you have to figure in is standard appliances will suck a solar system dry of power.using standard appliances it will be virtually impossible to have a surplus to sell back to the power company.

thats not to say that once your 6 to 10 grand investment is paid off by energy savings that in the long run it wont be worth it,just dont expect to be selling much back to the power company or even to be able to break completely free of them..

17. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I keep a budget and it has helped me in more ways than I ever thought it could. I actually can make it to payday with plenty of food, cigarettes (for Daniel), and all the bills paid, and still have enough left over to be able to buy smoke and Dr. Pepper to last us. For smokers, buying cartons and signing up with the companies for coupons saves $10-$20 a week. And I buy all my groceries on Saturday mornings and try to keep my grocery budget under $50 a week. That, of course, is feeding three people, so you can adjust that higher or lower depending on how many you feed. I buy a lot of sausage, bacon, and hamburger meat, because it's the cheapest decent quality meat I can get (by decent quality, I pretty much mean not hotdogs, lol).

18. YankNBurn

YankNBurn Owner

Lets see, things I have done and or seen

Plastic over windows

Foam cracks and ect

Curtians open in day time then cover windows with heavy material at night

Set thermostat to 67 daytime (awake hours) and when in bed set it for 57

Keep fridge/freezer full dont stand in front of it all day looking cuz your having a munchy atack

Unplug un used items

Switch to flourescent (spelling) lights

Cuddle instead of turning up the heat

Woodstoves or inserts

Dry clothes in early am or as you go to bed to add heat

shower together, fun and saves :D

Try to buy a half beef or evena quarter, go in on beef in shares with freinds

bread machine bread machine or be a real baker

plan weekly menu for food not spur of the moment

19. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Senior Member

there's nothing wrong with hotdogs, although you're right they aren't like a staple food or anything.

20. Wild Mountain Dave

i like the tobacco idear. good one. i added it to my list.