Way Back in Time

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Tyrsonswood, Aug 23, 2021.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Amazing work. No one can appreciate what you've done unless they have worked in wood or some similar material, and I don't mean building houses.

What kind off glues do you use and do different ones affect the sound, like would an aliphatic resin be preferable to an animal hide for sound, or vice versa?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've always used Titebond "original" which is an aliphatic resin. Hide glue and Fish glue are also used but I haven't used them myself. In a well prepared glue joint the film thickness is very minimal and we are relying on how well the glue can bite into the wood, more than fill the gap. Guys will swear by one or the other and say they can "hear the difference" but that difference would be very slight.

I think in the instance of this last guitar I posted, if I had used hide glue there would have been structural damage from the heat. Both types of glue will melt when subjected to heat and humidity, aliphatic resin has the higher melting temperature limits and this house fire was very hot.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Yes, I've used Titebond since it came out mostly replacing the white PVA.
    You don't use Titebond II or III?

4. mcme

mcme lurker

There's some really nice stuff in this thread, awesome work. My friend Ron's dad was DeMarino guitars here on Long Island and we would hang out in the shop a lot. He always use the interesting grain patterns for that one of a kind appearance.

5. MidtownMind

MidtownMind Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Wow…I really appreciate what you do, what you’ve done- those are some really beautiful instruments. Very fine craftsmanship. I love your attention to detail in describing all of the different tonewoods, too.

My brother built guitars for a little while, about ten years ago, but it was short-lived.

Tyrsonswood likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Thanks guys...

I keep meaning to revisit this thread, I just never get around to it.

MidtownMind likes this.