wavy/curly dreads?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by andonyc, May 21, 2007.

1. andonyc

andonyc Member

my dreads feel pretty much knotted on the inside, I can feel it. But the outsid e still has a lot of loose hair, I understand that its only been 3 months and its still kind of early but now the thing is my dreads look really wavy/kind of curly. Even the thicker ones look like that, they're not straight like I imagined, is this supposed to happen or are they too thin and going to stay that way?

2. wanderin_blues

wanderin_blues Banned

dont worry man, its a constantly changing process. wavy, kinky dreads are normal and i think theyll straigten out in time. i like them wavy anyways. loose hair will get eaten up too in time. they also change size, so they could expand. you never know, thats the fun part ;)

3. HippieAdrien

HippieAdrien Member

yeah man, i've had mine for under a month and already some are maturing thicker than others. you just never know. the sizes will change and vary. just give it time...

4. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

they'll probably get more curly in time (the curls are probably loops) and then later on they'll straighten more.

5. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

i miss my wavey kinky bits in my dreads :( enjoy them while you have them.

6. andonyc

andonyc Member

I've heard people say loops a lot, what exactly are you guys talking about when you say loops? here are some pics, I just took them now...dang I've never really seen the back of my head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. andonyc

andonyc Member

when I add wax on them they look fine but I dont want to use wax anymore I just dont like it plus I dont think I should use it. Its not bees wax its some other type of wax thats a lot stickier but I think all it does is hold the hair in place and really doesnt help the dreading process...or does it? heres what it kind of looks like.
    [​IMG]
    I dont know they're still kind of young I'm pretty sure they'll do what they're supposed to soon.

8. WorldPeace

WorldPeace Senior Member

1 thing: don't use wax, it's gross... But looking at your pics I see some loops but I also think it's your hair just being curly (??). It just takes some time to straighten more. If you wanted straight dreads from the beginning you should have backcombed them very tight..

9. andonyc

andonyc Member

well yeah, my hairs really curly, but I noticed that after a while as they were getting tighter they just started to become thinner, longer and then they started becoming curly, if I back combed them at this point I'm afraid I'd pull out a lot of hair, so should I just be patient and just hope that they become straight? because I like my dreads but I dont really dig the curlyness of it.

10. gazelle

gazelle Member

one of my friends has the same kinda curly/wavy dread things, they look pretty awesome, in my opinion. just keep with them.

11. Caelynn

Caelynn Yellow Butterfly

from what i've noticed, they get curly and tigher and then they start to fatten up and get shorter and straighter again .

12. andonyc

andonyc Member

dreads are amazing things...they're kind of like pets, you just watch them as they get older and more mature...my little babies!

13. oilymoily

oilymoily Banned

curly dreads are beautiful :) your locks are looking happy

14. andonyc

andonyc Member

thank you kindly but, I think I've just realized something, it might be that my dreads are maturing or is it because I was messing with them? I began to palm roll them after a while and then they started getting thinner, should I stop doing that because I dont really want them that thin...but, I think its too late. So is there a chance that they'll straighten out?