Watchmen

Discussion in 'Action Movies' started by FireflyInTheDark, Mar 5, 2009.

1. AerialReaver

AerialReaver Member

This movie licked balls, maybe I'm one of the people that just didn't get it, maybe because I haven't read the comics, but they're just seemed to be too much filler, like they could have shortened the movie by like an hour and made it okay, to avoid this stupid talking about nothing that had anything to do with the plot, didn't make much sense to me. The worst part is I shortened my St Pattys day drinking to see this piece of trash movie. Hated it.

2. Shale

Shale ~

:confused:

I lick balls (suck them too). I consider that a good thing. :rolleyes:

3. Crazy Horse

Crazy Horse Member

Well there ya go. It's all in the eye (or mouth) of the beholder.

4. tree_hugger

tree_hugger Member

Well, I read some of the novel before seeing the movie, and thought it was phenomenal. I wanted to read the whole thing before seeing it, but I didn't get around to it. I'm actually glad, because I didn't go in with high expectations, but I had read enough to understand what was going on. My boyfriend, however, spent a lot of the time comparing it to the book. We both really enjoyed the film though, and I'm going to continue reading the GN now.

5. Incesticide

Incesticide Member

Aww yeah...? :D

I find it fair some people don't get it. No offense or anything but you need to be fairly literate. :p
    For a person like myself who got it all at the end, it's best not to take anything out of the movie.

6. Natures Love Child

Natures Love Child Member

I loved how close it was to the original comic. Really they only changed the ending and cut out a few scenes that were told much quicker in the movie.

Overall, enjoyed the comic better but will def. buy the movie when it comes out. And see it on the Imax this Friday. Fuckin' eh!

7. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

Haha, I geeked out a little and spent the better part of today constructing a playlist to substitute for the crapfest that is the official soundtrack. Luckily, there are a few sites out there that have lists of what should be on it, so I picked through them till I found a combinations of versions I liked of songs from the comic and the movie. I'm pretty happy with the result:

Smashing Pumpkins - The End is the Beginning is the End (version from the trailer)
    Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A-Changin'
    Iggy Pop & David Bowie - Neighborhood Threat
    Simon & Garfunkel - The Sound of Silence
    Janis Joplin - Me and Bobby McGee
    Bob Dylan - Desolation Row (considered using the Grateful Dead version here, but decided in the end that no one could convey the tone like Dylan)
    Nena - 99 Luftballoons
    KC & the Sunshine Band - I'm Your Boogieman
    Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah (fucken hilarious... had never heard this version before the movie, and I remember thinking to myself, "wow, I never knew that Barry White did a cover of this song" :D)
    Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
    Roy Orbison - The Comedians (my favorite)
    Nat King Cole - Unforgettable
    Billie Holiday - You're My Thrill
    Nina Simone - Pirate Jenny (holy shit, the Black Freighter is in it!)
    The Phillip Glass Ensemble - Pruit Igoe & Prophecies
    Richard Wagner - Flight of the Valkyries

...Did I say I geeked out a little?
    :leaving:

8. AtomStar

AtomStar Member

This movie (originally a dc comic) is definitely in my opinion, one of the better movies of this generation.
    A lot had to do with the original story though, which I thought was absolutely fantastic.
    It was about a team of vigilantes in New York City that had broken up due to the outlawing of superheros.
    Only one had any real superpowers. Due to being disintegrated in some quantum physical accident,
    Dr.Manhattan gained atomic perception and the ability to manipulate matter and time itself.
    Sort of like a Buddha/God energy being who has transcended physical reality.

The original comic was based on the Vietnam War, but I do feel the story still applies today, as there are more nukes than ever!:(

Very interesting story with a very real message.
    What do you think?

9. TheWhiteOne216

TheWhiteOne216 Member

How do you sell gill? I want to sell gill.

10. heywood floyd

heywood floyd Banned

No.

I've ranted about this movie enough already, however...

11. TapThisDestroyThat

TapThisDestroyThat Member

Watchmen is in my top five. It's not number one though. I love this movie because it's just different. I hate these "action" movies that are just the same movies with different characters and cities. When movies like The Dark Knight, Inception, and Watchmen come along it's like a breath of fresh air.

Although i always love those classic "tournment" movies. Tekken, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, Mortal Kombat ect. Love, love, love those movies. It's just something from my childhood that i'll always love.

12. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

Movie absolutely, one hundred percent, completely sucks. Book is amazing.

13. jessej

jessej Member

This movie is great all the Super Heroes all together to save us once again... Great movie to watch.

14. surreal_charm

surreal_charm Member

the movie was fine but didn't do justice to the story. actually the story was written in such a way that only a graphic novel can express it. it wasn't meant to be a movie. Alan Moore was so disgusted with the idea of his story being turned into a movie, that he cut all connection with the production house. the story is very close to my heart. it's a great work.

15. laudenum

laudenum Guest

I did enjoy the change in the ending between the books and the movie.

The comic book ending trots out the old cliche that mankind will unite against an outside threat(which is demonstrably false).
    The movie ending makes the point that humans only behave if they think an omniscient, all-powerful entity is watching over them, and may punish them for doing wrong(which is the origin for most of our religions).

16. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

Agreed. The movie lacked the rich character development of the book.

Although I didn't read the book, I checked out the Motion Comic which is the same thing just animated and voiced (comically so).

17. johnwish210

johnwish210 Guest

Absolutely movie is full of inspiration. Mostly celebrities are new with due respect with coming books.

Outside link removed

18. jamgrassphan

jamgrassphan Get up offa that thing Lifetime Supporter

I like the idea of "watchmen", but I hate the right-wing propaganda that underscored the entire theme of the comic and the movie. I admire the way it was presented, but the theme and message of the comic is misguided and sickens me. I know it parodies DC characters, but it's taking a traditional right leaning comic universe and taking it to the insane extreme right in an effort to make it more gritty? It's just kind of aesthetically silly. Honestly, there wasn't a single character in that group that I could sympathize with - I know that this was kind of the point, but when you do this anti-hero/bizarro world stuff, you need to have a least one counter point character that serves as a compass to show how far flung everything else is - just for a little contrast - otherwise, everything just blurs together. I think they tried to do that with Night Owls character, but it didn't work, and I'm not sure it was any more successful in the original graphic novel.

It's the same, with the treatment of the new Batman movie franchise - it's subtle indoctrination into the notion that there are times when it is acceptable to trample all over privacy rights and use technology (mass communications) to gather information in order to keep everyone safe. In other words, that the end always justifies the means. And this notion that gadgets and technology can solve every problem - that's a very pervasive theme in Batman throughout the history of that comic, but it's naively 1940's and 1950's and that message is frequently present in a number of new super hero movies, and frankly I think it's insidious propaganda and certainly indicative of the "spirit of the age" in the United States - only with this latest incarnation it's been militarized - which I find very troubling. Again, the marriage of the mercantile/corporate with the military/industrial complex. Is Hollywood trying to groom us for a police/military state?

I'd love to see a superhero movie that portrayed an established superhero who wasn't an omnipotent alien, a defense contractor, a wealthy corporate playboy, or who wasn't part of a secret government military experiment -willingly or not. Honestly, I think that's why the original Crow comic/graphic novel had such a cult following. The protagonist was a nobody, a blue collar guy trying to live a life in the ruins of Detroit, a victim of social decay, who gets his revenge. It's personal and self indulgent, but it certainly has resonated - despite the disaster of the movie franchise.

19. Crimson and Clover

Crimson and Clover Member

I havent read the book, I do like the movie. However if I read the book and went back and watched it I might feel differently (that usually happens.)

20. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I could understand that comment for the movie, cause they completely fucked up the subtext, but the comic is both a criticism of right-wing ideals as well as an exploration of idealism versus compromise.

Rorschach is the only true hero by the end, but at the same time, the papers he has published are going to cause turmoil, and end the state of peace, that has been created by Ozymandias. What the comic questions is whether a utopia founded on oppressive, violent (physically or psychologically) means or our imperfect society of competing values is better.

You must realize that the most major difference in Watchmen's world is not the superheroes themselves, or the existence of Dr. Manhattan, but the fact that the government, under Nixon, uses that power and intimidation, effectively fanning the flames of the cold war, as well as keeping America under Nixon's fascist, Republican control.