Watch What You Google!

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by skip, Aug 1, 2013.

1. skycanvas

skycanvas Member

It's amazing How George Orwell got it so right. Sometimes I think, well, he got it a few years off; but then I think about the incept date of the first personal computers, particularly the Mac which if I'm too tired to look up, I think made it's debut around 1984, the Name of Orwell's Book. Some of this stuff is prophetic but spooky nonetheless. And, by admission I am a computer guy.

2. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I was working on computers in libraries in the late 70's. I think my Dad had a personal computer then.

3. odonII

odonII O

No.

4. Ulver56

Ulver56 Banned

Yeah, big brother is watching you. Do you know that sales of 1984 have increased by 45 percent I think it was. Ever since the Snowden leak.

5. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

1. The computer I'm typing on isn't mine. Nor do I even own one.
    2. I also don't have a cell phone and I'm getting rid of my home phone. I can't justify paying for perhaps 2 ring me ups a week
    3. I like it when someone knocks on my door because it's a chance for tea.
    4. Postcards from friends look fantastic on the Smeg.
    5. My knittings keep me calm and the socks I make keep me warm.
    6. Books are always better than a film and I just finished reading The Shelters of Stone
    7. Most of my antibiotic needs are taken care of with crushed garlic or goldenseal
    8. I make toothpaste with cloves, olive oil and baking soda
    9. I get music from car boot sales and I'm teaching myself guitar
    10. I got me my granda's 16mm projector and I had the ladies over yesterday to watch an american show called McHales Navy and eat popcorn.
    Living without all the toys and gadgets really isn't so bad or hard. I never really saw the need for them.

But the worst of it for me is my work. In me old job if there was a computer I used it to keep from kipping down for the night. Well I'm not working at night anymore but I'm not allowed to read, knit, eat, etc. I'm supposed to look busy in case someone walks in but the only thing in front of me is this computer and almost everything is blocked.

I can't print recipes because the printer is blocked... I can't watch a film because the DVD is blocked.... The sound is turned off on the blooming thing too. All I do is sit here, in front of a screen waiting for hours for someone to come in. The high moments of my day are walking over to put the kettle on or go to the loo.

6. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Hmmm, ever consider just doing your job while at work?

7. skycanvas

skycanvas Member

In 1822, Charles Babbage purposed and began developing the Difference Engine, considered to be the first automatic computing engine that was capable of computing several sets of numbers and making a hard copies of the results.

I guess I was thinking about these events of chronological placement, Portable being nearly synonymous with Personal:

"Hello, I am Macintosh. Never trust a computer you cannot lift... I'm glad to be out of that bag" - talking Macintosh Computer.

In December, 1983, Apple Computers ran its' famous "1984" Macintosh television commercial, on a small unknown station solely to make the commercial eligible for awards during 1984. The commercial cost 1.5 million and only ran once in 1983, but news and talk shows everywhere replayed it, making TV history. The next month, Apple Computer ran the same ad during the NFL Super Bowl, and millions of viewers saw their first glimpse of the Macintosh computer. The commercial was directed by Ridley Scott, and the Orwellian scene depicted the IBM world being destroyed by a new machine, the "Macintosh".
    —By Mary Bellis

The first PC clone:

The Compaq Portable is considered to be the first PC clone and was release in March 1983 by Compaq. The Compaq Portable was 100% compatible with IBM computers and was capable of running any software developed for IBM computers

I guess that was a landmark 1984-ish-like kinda sorta moment mayhaps...

Yeah, I guess facts are important. IBM released the first personal computer in 1981. Being severely right-brained I really checked out my first Macs & the GUI in 1989 in Singapore & then checked out some PC's in the States that year. For a mathematically challenged individual which numbers gave migraines to, I could only see a life with a Mac. 7 Macs & 2 PC's later still do.

The first Apple computer: Steve Wozniak designed the first Apple known as the Apple I computer in 1976.

See the below other major computer companies first for other IBM compatible computers

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000984.htm

:computer:

8. odonII

odonII O

And? Do you mean over the space of a few months or even now/today/ongoing?

9. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

That's what I am wondering as well.

10. skycanvas

skycanvas Member

Why don't all you hillbillies jump off the Earth & leave it to smarter folks?

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Gravity. I thought you were smarter than that :p

12. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Once again , we can rest assured. The current jihadist regime has give islamic terrorists more Constitutional Rights than Naturalized American Citizens.

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

I have read they made these searches AT WORK and thier boss called it in!!

14. skycanvas

skycanvas Member

Anyway, not being a terrorist, I guess why should I give a damn? :smoking:

I guess I dislike big government searching through my trash, cookies & underwear. According to statistics most of the big fat terrorists slip through the net that is so carefully laid for them. Did we stop Boston? No. Did we stop 9-11? No. Did we stop Fort Hood? No.

Terrorists can mislead. And like Bin Laden are wise to confining plans, programs & exchanges of information to couriers. :smoking:

In light of the hacking activities against the US by the Chinese Army, the Russians went out & bought manual typewriters. :smoking:

Q: When are we gonna learn that digital tech & posting of any sensitive information on the Internet is subject, liable & likely to be hacked. Just since it can be.

:smoking:

15. Wolfman's Brother

Wolfman's Brother Member

DuckDuckGo Anyone?

16. GoingHome

GoingHome Further Within

Chicken Littles, by the dozen.

17. Kamilo

Kamilo Guest

I personally use the search engine "ixquick" instead for privacy, or "startpage", which is its sister site. Google it! :2thumbsup:

18. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Well, I've been Googling "naked NSA babes", and havn't had any problems....?

Of course I havn't had any luck either. :(

19. Avera

Avera Guest

How do we configure TOR to replace/work with our browser? TOR is an anonymity browser used by many news reporters with something to say....

20. Avera

Avera Guest

brings back memories, that hip ani-rag!!