was wondering what animal rights people thought of this

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ThisIsWhyYoureWrong, May 21, 2013.

1. ThisIsWhyYoureWrong

ThisIsWhyYoureWrong Member

2. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

3. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Instinctively I support the animal rights people but if its true that human selfishness & the profit motive is saving these species its harder to call. The hunters claim they never kill more than 10% of any species on the range. Thats encouraging, we didnt hear if there are any natural predators, of those animals. in the hunting areas.

I hate the idea that animals exist just for our amusement or'sport'-especially for the rich. But if thats what it takes , untill we become enlightend enough to preserve fellow beings on this planet for themselves,then so be it,sadly.

4. ThisIsWhyYoureWrong

Animals are cruelly hunted and killed all the time in the wild, by other animals. What's the difference?

Putting aside the fact that without the hunters they'd go extinct, the animals also seem to have it pretty good living on those ranches as well. Plenty of space and land to graze on, only 10% of the herd is ever allowed to be hunted annually.. The real crimes against animals, at least in my mind, are being committed on factory farms, not on ranches like these.

I think that's an honest assessment, thanks =]

5. Driftwood Gypsy

We are humans, we have no reason that we NEED to hunt and kill. We're supposedly "humane". Yes, at one point man needed to hunt to survive, but killing animals for food isn't necessary anymore, there's no reason to kill animals, we can get all our nutrients elsewhere.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm fine with "you kill it you eat it". by which i mean if you kill it, you dand well better eat it. and the law should damd well MAKE YOU EAT IT if you do.

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Definitely like the sentiment, though it may get a bit murky in terms of enforcement. Just for the sake of practicality it seems only allowing set percentages to be hunted is the better route.

8. ThisIsWhyYoureWrong

So you're against killing / eating ANY animal. If that's the case, I can respect that. I don't agree, but its a consistent position.

I like the sentiment too, but I don't think its really necessary to force anything on the ranchers. The incentive to maintain and grow their herds is why they only allow 10% to be hunted annually, not some law or regulation.

9. Driftwood Gypsy

I'm a vegetarian, slowly working towards veganism. I know its virtually impossible to go through life without harming anything or anyone, but it's something to strive for.
    I'm against unnecessary cruelty and suffering; it's unnecessary, there's enough negativity in the world.

10. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Fine, you go ahead and stop eating animals.

People like you need to be fought, and exposed as the intellectual hypocrites you are.

11. Driftwood Gypsy

I'm a vegetarian. And there is NOTHING WRONG with striving to end or lessen suffering in the world.

12. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

What about cases like Deer? In most of the US their natural predators have been killed off, and if we didn't hunt them then they would become extinct.

13. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I agree. But there is something wrong with ignoring science while trying to do so.

14. Driftwood Gypsy

What science am I ignoring by choosing not to abuse animals???