Was this woman really stupid or am I looking too deep into this?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by TrumpCards, Apr 12, 2018.

1. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

The other day, I saw an older woman with a sweater on that said “Jesus has my back.” I thought this was stupid though because one of Jesus’s most famous lines was “Get behind me Satan!” So yes, Jesus may have your back, but Satan has his.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Santa

Satan

3. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

I’ve noticed that too. I wrote a short story once called “Santa Clause and the magical Christmas elves.” In the story, one of the elves is named “Scary Elf” and he’s a Devil worshiper. When he meets Santa, Santa says “By the way, do you know what you can spell if you rearrange the letters in Santa?” And Scary Elf says “You’re awesome Santa!”

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Beelzebub
    [​IMG]
    Syllabub
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

to answer the title question: both.

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the word you're looking for is gullibility.

jesus was a cool guy, who may have channeled a god, and may have been executed for something else entirely.
    but having your back,
    is kind of not something that an unknown possibility is all that exactly reliable for,
    which i sort of think is the whole point.

humans make my head hurt, and if image meant visual appearance, we'd be invisible.

7. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I think its more a figure of speech . My friend has my back , ect.

Okiefreak likes this.
  8. It's super annoying how all these people think they're going to go to Heaven and Jesus will be waiting there. If he was here today, they'd want nothing to do with him. They just want money, sex, and power...that's all they want. If Jesus were here, I suppose every last one of them thinks they'd spend time with him, and all he'd want to do is watch their favorite movie about sex and violence with them. No way...they'd be like, "Get lost, Jesus. We want to party."

Or maybe he'd have lots of business to attend to and be their favorite person. A movie mogul who exploits children, perhaps. But no...when they get to Heaven, then there will be some last desperate refuge for them where they're still loved, because love conquers all. And the lover Jesus will be there to take care of them. And they'll get all of the good sex and violence they had on Earth I'm sure, all of the worries and cares that made them human. And yeah right...I'll bet they'll want to spend every last second with old Jesus. Maybe he'll make all 7 billion of them kings and princes in some fantasy Narnia world where they fight werewolves.

Seriously, I'd like to know what people expect. I honestly don't believe Christians would want to spend any time with the guy if they had the chance. They'll want to be with their families. And all they'll do is watch Gumby with their families in Heaven. While Jesus does what? Invites more people to Heaven to watch David the Gnome? No, they'll just sit in big throngs on a big fluffy white cloud listening to old Jesus talk about God even though they're already in Heaven and I suppose...know everything.

All they really want is to be exclusive, elite.

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  9. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I think that you are looking far too deeply into a tee shirt.
    Most people just buy them on the spur of the moment and rarely bother to spent an hour looking into the possible deeper meanings of the logo.

The logo is quite in tune with the 21st century.
    I am sure that she would have been quite uncomfortable wearing a shirt with the word "Satan" anywhere on it, for fear that at a passing or incomplete glance, people may think that she was a satanist.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    Okiefreak likes this.
  10. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

This statement is exactly what is wrong with humanity these days. Everywhere you turn is just another shallow life lived in the shadow of comfortable ignorance.

On the note of OP's question no I don't think you looked to deeply. We need more people in the world willing to do just that

11. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The woman wearing the sweater probably did it to witness her faith and maybe as an affirmation reinforcing her confidence Jesus supports her in a challenging world. That this offends anyone is their problem. At least she wasn't wearing a MAGA hat. And the idea that this is somehow a reference to Satan is bizzare--way too much over-analysis. People go around with all kinds of mottoes and logos on their clothing--but should be aware that by taking a stand, somebody could take offense. If somebody decides to wear a sweater with "La Ilaha Ila Allah, Muhammad rasulu Allah" on it, that person would be taking a chance and should hope the people around don't speak Arabic--at least in Oklahoma.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  12. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I hear what you say, but a quick first impression is also a great way to get to meet someone before getting to know them better and sharing your feelings with them. Human interaction is far more important than the message on a shirt.
    Positive interaction and companionship is what is so sadly lacking in 21st century society, but with a little bit of effort things can change surprisingly easily.

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

When did Jesus speak English?

ha-satan is a verb in hebrew that refers to any accuser

And english translation of that passage in the Book of Jubilees, the pre cursor to the bible:

You will note "get behind me satan" doesnt actually make any sense if that was actually what was said.

Its just as a mishmash of how it gets translated from hebrew to greek to english. Every ha-stan verb got mistranslated into Satan to add a bit of flavour

The way it is in the original hebrew bible is more like "remove thyself from me accuser (Peter, and Peter was actually called Kefa)

That is, more like "Get the fuck out of my face Peter", has nothing to do with Satan

The jews dont believe in an actual satan only an abstract version, and in the Quran its pronounced Shaitan not Satan and the whole thing between Shaitan and God starts at the creation of Adam, Shaitan is like "man, what the fuck is this shit?"

Not that jesus existed anyway, but he never said "get behind me Satan"

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  14. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Unless he originally meant accusers real or conjured from his own mind. One's inner daemons can be truly painful & if any man spent such time in the desert as Jesus did, they too would certainly have to come to grips with their own.

Then again it has been a real long time since I last studied Judeo-Christian history & I vaguely recall the gospels being penned primarily in Aramaic.....hmm have to look that up at some point. Either way pretty sure the two languages are fairly similar

15. TrumpCards

TrumpCards Visitor

Actually, you’re mistaken. He says it in the desert when Satan is trying to fuck with him. You can read that story in Mattew and Luke.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

God forbid you might have to spend half an hour researching someone

Fine, just stick to the 20th rewrite for some english dude in the 1600s

17. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

Is he eating a snickers bar.

18. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

that's actually a picture of jesus. you're not yourself when you're hungry.

20. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

Lol!