Was the 80's pretty much the worst decade in recorded time?

Discussion in 'The 80s' started by nonco55, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

You were young DURING THE LAST GOOD DECADE :)

Ah man!!

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

you know you couldnt tell them how great the decade was without the internet which wasnt available to the common man until a decade later.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You could if you would insist :p

Why?

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

prohibition, shitty music, no tv, no internet, slow cars, crappy movies, doctors knew as much about the body as i do, less variety at the store....should i go on or should i name more reasons.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Cultural renaissance, the first real youth culture, silent films, music, dance, feminist revolution of sorts with skimpier clothing and bobbed hair, flappers, rebellion against prohibition. I think the 20s were probably a fun decade.

6. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

i will gladly disagree, you can have it if it ever comes down to a draft of who lives in what decade.

7. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

It would have depended on where you were. Big cities, yeah, maybe. Rural areas and small towns would have sucked big time, especially in the South.

Personally, I wouldn't have wanted to live anytime before birth control pills and Novocaine.

8. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I've decided. It was the worst decade for television and movies; and American political precedence. But it wasn't so bad for other things.

Great decade for comics, THE decade for metal, etc.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Really? I think the 80s produced some really great movies

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The 50's seemed worse than the 80's to me, although this may be largely due to somethings from the 80's have had an impact in my life and there is practically nothing in terms of entertainment maybe besides a couple records and couple books from the 50's.

While I certainly think it was a weaker decade in terms of music over the past half century, there is some good music from the 80's. There are some movies I enjoy from then and Nintendo came out as well.

11. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

It might seem so in your memory. Those around for the plague probably had a different perspective.

12. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

The 70s had all these cool sub-genres; midnight movies, exploitation films, kung-fu. Even the mainstream was in on it, boasting insightful dark comedies like MASH and The Network as well as deep dramas like The Godfather and The Deer Hunter.

The 90s has a buffet of instant classics: Jurassic Park, the Lion King, Goodfellas, Being John Malkovich, Trainspotting, Clerks, The Matrix, etc.

You look at a list of the top 100 movies of the 80s, and at least 50 of them are in the same genre. Commercial friendly comedies starring one or more teenage characters. Another 10 or so will be macho sports or war fantasies. Most of the rest are full of bullshit Cold War patriotism and capitalist dreams. They're cliched and corny.
    And yes, some break these rules; and others are good despite being fitting two or more of these tropes; but because of a lack of variety, being too self-referential and just not really advancing the art form in a meaningful way; I feel it was a pretty poor decade for film.

13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Sci Fi movies were pretty good in the 80's :

Aliens
    Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back
    Terminator
    Predator
    ET: The Extra Terrestrial
    The Fly
    Blade Runner
    The Thing
    Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Videodrome

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Hey, the 80's were probably great to live in for a lot of people too (as we can see by some of the opinions)! :) I mean when I was a kid in the 80's I didn't think this decade sucks, what am I doing here :D And when people say the 80's suck musicwise it doesn't mean everything was shit, just the main things the 80's are known for: hair metal, new wave, a lot of very fucked up pop music etc. (all subjective in the end of course)

It was the worst decade for fashion and music IMO. There was a lot of shit moviewise but to me that's every decade. And there was obviously lots of good shit too. Except with music it is kinda limited to specific kinds of stuff for me. Like the ongoing reggae and dub scene from the 70's and indeed some hard rock and heavy metal (Mercyful Fate, Iron Maiden, that kind of stuff), but to me clearly the 90's is really THE decade for metal. I guess it depends on what kind of metal you dig the most.
    I also feel despite all the experimenting in the 80's the 90's were really THE decade for electronic music and new subgenres as well, but it's the same with metal: it might just depend on what kind of eletronic music you feel the most for. To me it only started to become interesting in the 90's with music like psytrance, drum 'n bass, big beat with digital effects, trip hop, some crossover styles etc. etc.

15. Dude111

Ahhhhh but the 20s had EXCELLENT MUSIC!!!!

I have 2 records of '20s hits!! -- THEY ARE BOTH EXCELLENT!

1) The BEST of the original roaring 20s
    2) The original roaring 20s (VOL 2) - MONO

Both are done by ENOUGH LIGHT and his orchestra..

16. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

I was born in the 80's so it couldnt suck that bad

the 20's (as in 2020) is probably gonna be the best decade ever, seriously .. i hope so !!

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

You cant argue with personal taste but i would take pink floyds the wall over any record in the 20s and the wall the movie over any movie from the 20s

18. Dude111

I agree!!! (I love that record -- I HAVE HAD IT SINCE THE 80s)

19. dannywalkaway

dannywalkaway Guest

I loved the 80's - I remember AC/DC's Back in Black - the first heavy metal album to go into heavy radio rotation. The CD player was new - got my first one in 1985 - (same year I got married and our daughter Sara was born) I think my first disc was Dark Side of the Moon- you could hear a whole album without having to flip it over !! I remember backpacking in Europe in '82 - with my Walkman cassette player !! Remember those - the first time we could take music ANYWHERE !! Man those were so COOL !! Standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower listening to the Stones ?? Blew my mind.
    I remember MTV was new - for the first time ever (without having to stay up until midnight to catch "The Midnight Special" ) you could see your favorite song in a video. I remember 2 for 1 U2 concert tickets - they were half price because no one knew who they were ("Boy" album tour) - The Police, ZZ Top, Talking Heads, The Clash, John Cougar (Mellencamp), The Traveling Wilbury's (Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Roy Orbison and Jeff Linn from ELO), Robert Palmer's "Addicted to Love", INXS (Listen Like Thieves is a classic disc for me), Power Station (Robert Palmer and members of Duran Duran), Van Halen reinvented with Sammy Hagar (Van Hagar-LOL), Bruce Springsteen (The River, Born in the USA), Def Leppard, White Snake (remember Tawni Kitaen on the white Jag?), Tesla (really loved those guys), Guns & Roses.
    I remember the Berlin Wall coming down - and then a concert on top of where it used to be - They did the ENTIRE "The Wall" show, man. It seemed like peace was breaking out all over the world. I remember Live Aid - live from England and America. I think Robert Plant and Jimmy Page performed together for the first time since Led Zep broke up.
    I remember Ecstasy became popular. We had some great times with that stuff, parties of 10-20 friends, group hugs,long walks after midnight - just loving everybody and everything.
    I remember "smoking areas" in the mid high and high school for students. Getting pulled over for drunk driving, while drinking a beer mind you. They made us pour the beer out on the road and sent us home. No arrest. No calling our parents. Let us DRIVE home !! Remember the movie "The Warriors"? Mad Max films were big, The Terminator films.
    But this is about music - not an old farts memories - the Sony Walkman cassette player and the home CD players (although I DO believe albums sound better) came out in the 80's - 2 of the greatest things to happen to Rock & Roll since Rock & Roll was invented. We could take our music to work - school - park - boring road trips with family - just for these 2 inventions alone - 80's music rocked !! Because you could listen to YOUR music on top of the Eiffel Tower.

20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

just throwing it out there, the 20s sucked also because with my medical history i would have been dead already with the lack of advances in technology at the time.