Was Anyone at Woodstock?

Discussion in 'Flashbacks' started by givepeaceachance, May 15, 2004.

1. DiscoDawn

DiscoDawn Members

Alas, I too also have a friend who was there. He also remembers seeing Jimi back in Seattle, when he was in Jimmy James and the Blue Flames. He also said he got arrested with Dennis Hopper during a protest.

All this coming from a guy whose great uncle wrote Peter Pan.
    Believe it or not.

2. deezee

deezee Member

i was lucky enough to be at most of the "big" concerts on the east coast in the 60's but this is the one HUGE concert "regret" i have. the worst part is my parents' summer house was in monticello,ny ( in the video they talk to a cop who is in front of char-lou's...a coffee shop in the town of monticello, new york) not that far from where woodstock was held. instead i was teaching painting at a summer camp that summer. bummer. i was at tanglewood in the berkshires though on the thursday before the festival started and saw the jefferson airplane, the who and bb king. grace slick said from the stage something to the effect that they were going to be helicoptered into the woodstock site as the traffic was already backed up for days. she laughed and said that they had no idea what to expect when they got there. guess we all know how that turned out.

i have many friends who were there. some of them hated it as it was all mud, rain, no food/drink, and very uncomfortable. i have other friends who loved it who go back to visit the site often. i also saved the newspaper articles from the next days and if i can find them i'll scan them and put them up here.

deezee

3. weep

weep Senior Member

I have that Director´s Cut DVD and I totaly love it!!!!:D
    I think it would have been amazing to be there. Well, can´t do a thing about it, right?!
    My parents saw Woodstock at the movie theatre when it came out new in the german ones.
    In 1971 my dad saw The Who live, playing in germany. He just told me a few weeks ago (though he knows I like them for years now), man was
    I jelous...;) . And like whoa, my dad was cool back in the days, can you believe it? ;) :p
    Man, Woodstock, my dearest "historic" days....*dream*

4. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

I so wish I could have been there! My old English teacher went with some of her friends, it was funny when she told us because she seems like more of a Celene Dion type. Anyway she said she had fun there. If my dad had been old enough he would have gone (he was only 11)... But he went to a lot of cool concerts like pink floyd and dylan and stuff back in the day...

5. leprcon

leprcon Member

I was not there, but have a few friends who were there. They have shared many stories about it over the years. Actually you have probably seen my friend Jesse in the Woodstock video. When Richie Havens is singing "Freedom" and sings 'clap your hands, clap your hands' over and over Jesse is in a blue shirt and gets up and starts clapping and dancing. Soon the entire crowd stands up like a large wave.

Though I was not at the original Woodstock festival, I have been going back to Bethel, NY for years for the annual reunions they hold there. Can't wai til this August! 35 years man!!!!

6. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

Hey Guys! Yes, I was there. I went up from NYC with some friends, an oz of dope, lots of acid, and a case of wine. We got stuck in the parking lot that was the highway, and walked to the gate.

We got there just in time to see the mob push the fence down and get the whole thing declared a "Free Concert". After that, it was probably the best trip that I've ever had.

I remember crawling out of the tent at dawn to hear Gracey Slick on the speakers calling for some "Morning Maniac Music" and the 10 tabs of acid I had just put under my tongue kicked in like you wouldn't believe.

The rain was good... most of us Freaks really loved it. It made the banks by the pond all slick and we had a blast sliding down the mud on our bare asses and into the water.

I helped at the Hog Farm's food shack, made some friends and went home to Taos, NM with them.

Jimmy made a true ego mistake by demanding that he go on last. Mostly everyone was gone by then and he played to a field of debris with very few people. If you look closely at the video you were speaking of... you'll see a lone girl standing with her arms on the stage at the bottom right as Jimmy was playing... that's me.

A bunch of us picked up the trash, and away to NM I went.

7. earthfog

earthfog Member

Sam, seriously, wonder if I saw you there.
    WE never made it to the site while the concert was going on, but hung around
    and worked Garbage when it was over.
    Walked from Monticelo, but had the idea to not go any closer then the lake.
    By that time was the second day anyway.
    changed my life I think

8. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

See there, Earthfog... there's our connection. I think everyone who was in the area on those three days has remained somehow connected to this day.

Glad you picked up your share of trash to. It was a mess wasn't it?

9. PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange Member

wow, i remember seeing the chick when Havens was on :) wow that is like the grooviest thing ever man

10. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

Neat-O, Baby... I'm glad that you think so. Yup, that was me. And you know what? I didn't see the video until 3 or 4 years ago and was very surprised to find myself there.

11. Simone

Simone Member

Like so many of us at the time, I was there but lots of it I can't remember. Mud - people - music. It is mostly just a feeling now.

12. benhaze

benhaze Member

Have you seen 'The Director's Cut' Woodstock on Warner Bro's S013549?

13. DiscoDawn

DiscoDawn Members

Yeah I have the Directors Cut, I watch Janis's performance all the time.

Hey, has anyone found out who it was that was born there?

14. riversong

riversong Member

howdy, peace - i posted this awhile back:

Oh, ja, I was there. Some I remember, some I don't. Much I do. Some of the time I was swimming in that mucky pond, some times I was up at the Hog Farm kitchen cuttin' up veggies, some times I was off in some tent havin' some kind of fun . . . ;-)

We rode out from Boulder in this crazy psychedelic van - Vince's van - it broke down around Toledo and all us mountain folk piled out. This nice farmer told us we could park in his drive and fix the van but then this sheriff came round and told us that 2 of us could stay with the van and the rest of us to "start walkin'". So we got separated and hitched the rest of the way. We got stopped quite a few times in that van - talk about a target!

It was a really powerful experience. I suppose some things could've been done better but really, it didn't matter. It was what it was. Woodstock was a great reflection of the times and I wouldn't have changed a thing about it. We all *knew* it was a moment in time unparalled; we just *knew* in our hearts that we were all participating in a some magical, momentous phenomena. The magic and the beauty of the energy was like nothing any of us had ever experienced before. There just *are* no words.

I was the Goodwoman who had Wheatgerm's medicine - if you saw the movie, you would've heard that announcement.

To be there with so many of our rock "heros" in one place was feeling blessed and to feel the connection of so many like-minded souls in one place is indescribable - it was so unbelievably and beautifully powerful.

The music, of course, was amazing. Just amazing.

It was hard to get through all the people to get up to the vendors for food and to get to the port-a-pots but that was such a minor thing. Besides, who wanted to give up their choice spot for that? If you could walk. Some folks peed right where they were. No big deal! And inspite of what you hear, not everyone was drugged out of their mind. Lots of folks weren't.

We stayed after to help clean up. If you've got a copy of the old LIFE magazine from Woodstock you'll see me with Janice, Roach, and Wheatgerm. Janice has her bright serape over her shoulder - we're wee tiny figures but you can see us. It felt good to help out. I still have a pair of shoes I found in the mud while cleaning up.

When we finally left we headed on back to Boulder and Nederland - stopped off at a couple of colleges along the way to get some money together. Kids just flocked to us, in awe, as they asked our mud spattered selves if we were at Woodstock. I remember one guy - straight looking as they come - who approached me and confided how much he wished he had been there. How much he really identified with us but he was almost finished with school, was already married and oh you know . . . I've always wondered whatever became of him.

And then we were home again in Colorado and back with our STP Family.

15. prism

prism :o

I heard that announcement on the movie. You mean there's actually someone named Wheatgerm??? I always wondered about that part...

16. toolab

toolab Member

Hey Peace, read my thread on Woodstock. I was there as a 14 year-old and I had a blast. It was the best time of my life and I don't think that I will ever experience something like Woodstock again.

ALI

17. LaurelBayTree

LaurelBayTree Senior Member

i bought the documentary of woodstock on dvd. it is a two parter and i love it! it looks wonderful...i think my fave part is how you see everyone bathe in the nearby watering place...lake or river?

18. LaurelBayTree

LaurelBayTree Senior Member

i am from syracuse, ny too. i also lived in watertown.

19. riversong

riversong Member

Hey there, Prism -

Oh ya, there was a Wheatgerm, oh was there ever. Part of our STP Family (NYC, Boulder, and San Francisco) - I keep trying to say something about him but I realize there just are no words. He got shot lots of years ago and flew on out of this world but his memory lives on so huge in those of us who knew him. raggedy ole young sexy hunk of mountain man. ain't no one like him before or since . . . (before he died, he had changed his name to adam - he heard that "they" were after him for not registering for the draft - but wheatgerm he'll always be to me).

20. wilddaisy69

wilddaisy69 Member

I still need to experience the woodstock video! My one friend wants me to come over one day and watch it, i can't wait. peace!