War Of The Worlds

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Movies' started by MarijuanaPhysicist, Sep 3, 2005.

1. tommyb

tommyb Member

The ending was to "Gody" for me. We started laughing hysterically when we heard morgan freedman's voice. he's in everything.

2. AcousticPeace

AcousticPeace Member

i didnt understand this movie.. someone please explain.

3. AcousticPeace

AcousticPeace Member

nvm, my friend explained it. he said that germs killed the aliens and that we deserve to live here because we had to put up with all the sickness and we had to become immune and stuff. i guess i give this movie more credit that i understand it now. but it seemed a little cheesy at the time. like, what the hell was that red vine-like stuff everywhere?

(my 420th post!)

4. Occam

Occam Old bag of dreams

Acoustic

They were turning our biospere into theirs. If we did the same to say mars
    it would be called terraforming.

The biggest booboo in this movie is that once again, the aliens are dumb as rocks.
    A race that commands such technology 'must' have at least our level of biological science. Yet they hop out of thee machines without even a loincloth and without any regard for bacteria/virii they 'know' they are breathing in.
    Dumb as rocks.

Occam

5. Mayor West

Mayor West Member

W.O.T.W is a piece of dung, I would of expected better from spielberg ...

6. Irish Drunkard

Irish Drunkard Member

I dont understand why he made this awful movie after making Close Encounters and E.T.

7. thered

thered Member

I liked it enough to buy it when in came out. Most of the movie impressed me all-around. The visuals were obviously top-notch, and although I love a good depressing movie (Crash is a close #2 on my favorites ever list), I could forgive the cheesy ending for the overall piece.

8. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A deeply intelectual and allegorical movie and a look into the Victorian Mind
    and the human attitudes toward The Others.

A good movie because its a great story.

The Author is H.G. Wells and the story is a classic. Wells' other work" The Time Machine" was made into a movie two years ago.

The original story is set in England in Victorian times deep into Pax Britiania
    when an ordered and controlled British society was the norm across the globe.
    Nations like Russia and Germany had Queen Victoria's blood relatives on thier thrones. The royal houses were related in marriage.
    Everything had its place.

It seemed that only an invasion from space could ruin this splendid system.
    War between these nations was inconcievable.

The attacking Martians are an allegory or stand-in for The Kaisers Germany. The opening lines in the movie are chilling...... " A superior intelect, studying us coldly, envious of our posessions, laying plans for war " ...This could be the Victorian take on The Kaisers envy of British colonial posessions as the 20th century opened.

The Earth could be taken as a representation Britian on its Island ,as world unto itself, itself, inward looking and secure.

When The Story was written machine guns, tanks and aeroplanes did not exist, its interesting to see how H.G. Wells envisioned total war.

The War of the Worlds is absolute, there is no provacation for the attack.
    The attackers show no mercy as they destroy, kill and drink blood The attackers are not human they are not even of this world and have zero redeeming qualities. They are filthy, slimy beasts.
    What a perfect way to portray your enimies. Its textbook propaganda.

Could the fear and loathing of The Martians be transfered on to The Kaisers Germany? on to anyone?

The movie does go beyond the book though. The Tom Cruise War of The Worlds is set in Hudson County, New Jersey; which was the focus of the Martian attack in the great Orson Wells radio hoax of 1938.
    The radio program was a goof and had Martians landing in the farms of
    New Jersey and moving in to attack Jersey City, NJ. The City was in a panic.
    My Father has stories of this fake attack and the fears it generated.

That Bridge that was destroyed in The Movie goes between Hudson County and Staten Island.

In 1938 WWII was on the horizon peoples fears were ignited easily in Jersey City and elsewhere. Interesting how easily people are panicked by war fevor.

The climactic death of The Martians by disease after the total conquest of Earth pays homage to the Victorian respect for science.
    Bacteria had only recently been discovered in Queen Victoria's time.

The Human birth-right to Earth as a product of natural selection against disease, over the centuries can be sen as an allegory to the rights of a peoples to thier nation in the face of foreigin invaders. especially of The Island of Britian.

[​IMG]

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

The Original movie is still a classic :)

Hotwater

Dude111 likes this.
  10. mondoglove

mondoglove Member

the biggest question in my mind is why spielberg chose to direct this movie. the story is ultimately a pessimistic one, yet spielberg specializes in heart-warming adventures for the whole family.

instead of applying the appropriate formula to this story, he insults us with his silver-lining bullshit. it was noted by critics at the time that he intentionally evoked 9/11 with his images of people coated in white dust. the problem is that everyone in this story survives.

there are some great moments: the emergence of the tripods and their orgy of destruction, or the little girl noticing bodies floating down the river. overwhelmingly though, the whole point of one of the most classic sci-fi stories of all time- that humans are utterly powerless against a superior species- is lost in the fog.

almost all of the best stuff in the book has been altered for the worse. screw spielberg and his idealistic fantasies. give me a dose of paul verhoeven sci-fi anyday.

have to say though, brilliant opening and closing sequences. now, if only someone would direct the true 'war of the worlds' to insert in between...

11. gingercaily

gingercaily Member

the movie is great although i don't really believe in aliens but it was really a good film.very interesting plot.

12. lifelovefun

lifelovefun Member

The original one from WAY back in the old days blew goat's balls, but the new Spielberg one I really LOVED :)

13. MarkHix

MarkHix Member

I agree, the ending was terrible.

14. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes he means the garbage remake.... Piece of trash and a disgrace!! (And I dont even have to dsee it to know)

I dont wanna see it.... The original is excellent!!!