War Of The Worlds

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi Movies' started by MarijuanaPhysicist, Sep 3, 2005.

1. MarijuanaPhysicist

MarijuanaPhysicist Member

ROFL, possibly the worst movie i have ever seen... what a joke... can i please have a refund? and memory loss of ever seeing this horrible movie.

2. the_dude

the_dude Senior Member

You mean the new version?
    I thought it was kinda entertaining. Classical sci-fi sorta...

3. BradinTheGreat

BradinTheGreat Member

I saw it with my family, and then I saw it with my boyfriend. I thought the action scenes were cool, but the end was pretty stupid.

4. Burbot

Burbot Dig my burdei

yeah, well face it...thats what happens...listen to the radio show...the first part is wicked, then the last part is just one guy telling the sad story about how EVERYTHING was destroyed, then the aliens just died, and those that didnt, left

5. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I thought it was extremely disturbing, the beginning was just corny as hell, the middle was disturbing and just overly dramatic, and the end was also corny as hell ;)

However my boyfriend and his dad seemed to like it, men...

Actually my boyfriend agreed with me but enjoyed it while it was playing while I was cringing the whole time we were watching it.

I saw the old one as well and though it was like local access compared to today's technology I like it better, not that I really like taht one either :rolleyes:

I think I've just given up on movies in general and this is the movie that started it, then seeing The Butterfly Effect a few weeks later drove me over the edge

6. vimmeroony

vimmeroony Member

It was a good movie to make fun of while watching it. I do appreciate special effects though, and am prepared to spend money on that :/ But yeah, the ending was a let down, and pretty much everything after the ferry scene was too. Didn't mind watching Tom Cruise for a couple hours though.

But there are still good movies out there!! (I have to say that, i work in an arthouse cinema).

7. Imagine17

Imagine17 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I liked it except for that ending, it just made me groan.

8. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To all of you who didn't like the ending, well hey, that's how it ended in H.G. Wells' book. With all our technology we, the highest form of life on Earth, couldn't beat the aliens, we were saved only because they had no resistance to diseases, the lowest forms of life on Earth. It's kind of humbling.

9. kif

kif Member

I havent seen it yet. I heard the original radio broadcast in its entirity at a planetarium (sp?) when I was a kid, that was cool.

10. vimmeroony

vimmeroony Member

Yeah, well in my opinion the ending was a good point, but they way they expressed it in the movie was lame.

11. rainbowpower

rainbowpower Member

I found it strayed way to far from the book.

12. Imagine17

Imagine17 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I am not complaining about that aspect of the ending

*SPOILER AHEAD*

but more of how when they got to Boston his whole family was all nice and unharmed in their house with their son who somehow also made it to Boston on his own. *yawn* give me a break. :rolleyes:

13. 2cool

2cool Member

I thought the movie was awesome! The ending was a little too perfect but certainly one of my favorite movies all summer.

14. BradinTheGreat

BradinTheGreat Member

That's what ruined it for me. It seemed too good to be true.

15. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

when people are talking about the ending do they mean where the son turns up alive and well, when he should have been dead about 100 times and none of the main charaters have died or the extended family.
    i'm not violent but at that point I wanted to go and gun them all down.
    the no resistance to disease is a great idea after all everyone had done to try and stop them and they basically destroyed themselves

edit: sorry folks just repeated what everyone else has said!
    S

16. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

I felt sorry for the aliens.

17. NatureFreak412

NatureFreak412 Art of Balance

I liked the movie. But yeah I love the radio show probably better. Didnt it cause a bunch of people to think that aliens were actually attacking and some of them killed themselves and hid in their basements.

18. Bassist

Bassist Gate crasher!

It was two and a half hours of Tom Cruise running away.

19. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

That is one of the most spot on reviews I've ever read.

20. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

I liked it. I thought it had good visual effects and good actors to supply the roles, and while that usually isn't enough, (and definitly isn't in this situation) The film also had a spectacular Director.
    On with the ending, it really isn't an unused ending. I remember people who hated the War of the Worlds ending, but loved the Signs ending, which really was mostly the same.