Walmart wiped out by EBT glitch

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I had to laugh at this...

Be sure to check out the video below, too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...-sparks-walmart-shopping-sprees-in-louisiana/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG-PsqWxikg"]Walmart Shelves Cleared During Food Stamp Panic 'It was like a tornado had came through' - YouTube

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

nogs..

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The question is how did so many people find out so quickly the system was down and it was basically a free-for-all :eek:

Hotwater

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

They entitled tho.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ain't nobody got time for dat

6. deleted

deleted Visitor

I really cant complain tho, I bought up a few peoples cards that I know because they didnt work and wanted some cash. but they work now.

however its pointless for me to buy 400.00 worth of food in a week. we cant consume it all. it just goes to waste,. unless I buy all that frozen pizza kinda stuff, which in turn just raises my gas bills from cooking.. Not a win win at all..

If I could use food stamps to buy dog and cat food, Id be better off.. woof meow ..

7. wyldwynd

wyldwynd ~*~ Super Moderator

omg they said the employees had to restock the shelves with the food abandoned in the carts....
    the frozen food and refrigerated food wouldn't be safe to put back on the shelves once it sat in carts like it did.....

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You do have a dog and a cat, right? :eek:

Hotwater

9. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Hello. I used to work for EBT for a bit. Most of those people do not deserve the money. The entire program should be eliminated for anyone who isn't old or disabled.

Look at that human zoo.

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

feed cats to dogs

problem solved

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

if the system was still able to track transactions then those people got away with nothing.
    What will most likely happen is the amount of overpayment will be deducted from future disbursements. So I hope they bought stuff with a good shelf life. LOL.

12. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Must be numerous people on food stamps for something like that to happen so quickly and aggressively.

13. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

You would like to think that they would be able to track it. Now the problem will be what happens to those who they deduct funds from in the coming months when they have even less.

Walmart should not have allowed this knowing the system was down. While they are not to blame for the issue they have not done any service to these customers.

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

my thoughts exactly.

15. Heat

I am wondering if in order to rectify it walmart will have to provide their records of transactions. It could be possible that the glitch will not be able to be retrieved by the government. I would not be surprised if there was no fail safe in place for this on their part.

16. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

The assumption would be that when Walmart process's the EBT batch's, it has to associate a particular transaction with a particular account, the same as with a credit or debit card, so I'm thinking there are records.
    I know that you can get info on the last 10-12 transactions such as where, when and how much.

Unfortunately I think some of those folks are in for a rude surprise and possibly even prosecution.:(

What is the most disheartening is it is yet another example of greed on both the part of Walmart and the EBT customers.

17. Heat

Walmart stated they were monitoring the transactions but based upon the carts of merchandise I have a strong feeling that they were not. A real irony would be if the government refused to allow the cards in the future to be used at any walmart.

The consumers who did this also are going to have to be held accountable and I hope those that need it the most do not regret their one day spree. :(

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

"unfortunately" ??????????????

you think it's "unfortunate" for a thief to get prosecuted ??????

19. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

if they were scanning items, they have an exact record of every item sold that is easily retrievable. If there system was down, then they couldn't process any cards, so....Wallymart definitely has transaction records.

20. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Once there was a computer glitch at a supermarket here in NZ that allowed the electronic doors to open in the middle of the night - when no staff were there.

Security footage showed hundreds of people leaving with trolleys piled high with merchandise.

The owners later said they wanted to thank the 12 people who on the security footage were shown using the self checkout to purchase their goods, for their honesty.