WalMart MUST DIE

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by nowhere, May 27, 2004.

1. Warrior

Warrior Banned

Good point. So lets investigate it a little bit further. Suppose we all quit buying from Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart goes under. Hundreds of thousands (or more) employees go on the unemployment and welfare roles. The once "starving children" die because they starved to death because Wal-Mart wasn't there to give them thier pennies a day. Okay, so we no longer have any starving children - we in our jealousy and self rightous ways murdered them off. (Remember, our desire was to "get Wal-Mart", we didn't plan for alternative ways of feeding the starving children). Many among the unemployed do not qualify for unemployment and/or welfare. They resort to crime to feed thier "starving children". Many go to prison, thier families then become eligible for welfare. Others become homeless.
    By "getting Wal-Mart" we have produced some other problems and one remedy: The remedy is that we killed off the starving children and no longer need to worry about Wal-Mart starving them. Problems: Unemployment is up, prisons are over crowded, the homeless numbers have risen, taxes have risen, Sears, Pennys, K-Mart, et al have raised thier prices since they no longer have Wal-Mart to compete with. And that is the tip of the proverbial iceberg. But, what the hell. We sank Wal-Mart and that was our only goal.
    One suggestion: Lets do it now while Bush is President. That will look real good for Kerry.
    I know that this is a moronic post, but what do you expect in a moronic thread?
    Simply put, if you don't like Wal-Mart, shop someplace else. Personally I like buying work jeans for under $10.00 a pair.
    Ooops, I forgot the starving children. I guess Mui is going to feed them since the rest of us are Fascists and dont care.

2. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

I agree witcha!

Thanks to these huge corporations like wallyworld, many executives are sitting on top of wealth that could be doing common folk alot of good.

Small businesses just can't compete with their low quality merchandise made overseas in factories that pay 5 bucks a day or so.

3. Ambeaner

Ambeaner Member

I like Wal*Mart.... Even if some of the stuff is Junk, its affordable for everyone, and a convienient lil place. And the one person has a good point about how she/he buys work pants for less than 10 dollars. They have food, clothes, garden stuff, hair care, etc stuff...... One of the only places who sells it all in one! I like it, so if you don't....... Shop some where else... And leave more stuff for me to buy! :)

4. wandrnshaman

wandrnshaman Member

I do shop somewhere else. I have values. Sorry, money's not one of 'em.
    I don't mind buying seconds at thrift shops. I pay a helluva lot less for them than 10 bucks for pants! and I don't buy wallyworld brands like faded glory either. When we save a few dollars as an expression of our value of money, sometimes we are also expressing unconcern of the smaller businesses the corp's are burying, unconcern in regard to the class action lawsuits against it for discriminating against women, hiring illegal aliens, and even driving down manufacturing wages in developing nations. WalMart

5. Chives

Chives Member

Wal-Mart destroys local places, that's for sure. It does bring out the worst out in employees and customers. I know, because I worked there once upon a time. Horrible environment to be in as far as I'm concerned. I will never do that again!

Chives

6. Chives

Chives Member

7. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

Thats a great article, thanks for sharing it!

8. Butters

Butters Senior Member

I shop at Target. I personally ahte Wal-Mart. Its too crowded, the aisles are too narrow, its dirty, and the people working there suck balls. Target also has a kick ass snack bar! :p

9. yovo

yovo Member

ok, I'm not going to swear or use vulgar language here (ps, lay off with that stuff guys, chill)

BUT

I'm going to make a request, if you shop at walmart simply becuase you're strapped for cash then stop and ask yourself if your financial security is more important than global justice, compassion, stability and harmony. I know that sounds like a tall order but really, walmart, and other big corporations, are literally sucking the life, joy and diversity out of existance and placing the majority of the world in a status of wage slavery. Go for the thrift shops, go for local merchants, barder, trade, garage sales, or go without.

I really hope that didn't sound self rightous, but honestly we all have to do our part and that will likely mean putting up with minor inconveniences, like no "lowest prices everyday".

Peace and jah love

10. The Silky Way

The Silky Way Banned

I totally agree. However, Wal-Mart is more convenient with my busy schedule so I shop there most frequently. Super Target is the shit though. I usually shop late at night to beat the customer mobs, but I have to deal with the employees blocking the isles while stocking and the idiot with the floor scrubber. I swear he follows me around and one of these days I'm gonna snap and run him over with that thing.

11. freedbypeace

freedbypeace A Woman Left Lonely

People, people! It is so much more then just Wal-Mart! There are many other stores that are contributors, (and some even BIGGER contributor,) than Wal-Mart to Globilization. Such as:

The Disney Store- a big big big one, bigger than W.M.
    GAP- as most people know
    Old Navy

I have an entire list in a book of the worst places to shop at for a better world and when I am home I will grab the book so I can type them all up for you guys. It ranges from clothes to cosmetices, to house hold items. I'll let you know later!:)

12. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Sweet, definitely bust out that book of yours! I want to know the details on the evil of The Disney Store, GAP, and Old Navy. I've never heard anything about them sucking. Not that it really matters because you would never see me shopping at those stores anyway.

13. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

i'd love to see the list! please post it when you can.

14. freedbypeace

Above is the title of that book I was talking about. The contents of the book has caterogories: MONEY, SHOPPING, FOOD, PERSONAL, FRIENDS AND FAMILY, COMMUNITY, HOME, WORK, MEDIA, POLOTICS, TRANSPORTATION, TRAVEL, ORGANIZATIONS, (to name most of them.) Within all of thoose caterogories are sub-catoregories, but there are too many to list. In this particual post I am going to list the SHOPPING caterogory. The best rank is of course excellent, and worse is poor, which means the worst place on earth to spend your money. The perenthises mean they are all part of that same company.

SUPERMARKETS:
    excellent: Wild Oats, Whole Foods, local markets
    good: (A & P), (Safeway), (Von's), (Giant Food)
    fair: Kroger, Ralph's, City Markets, Food 4 Less, King Soopers, Save-Mor, (Albertsons), (Lucky's), (Osco), (Savon)
    poor: (Wal-Mart), (Winn-Dixie), (Thriftway)

Bananas and Fruits:
    Excellent: Any organic brand
    Good: Chiquita, Dole
    Poor: Del Monte

Beverages:
    Excellent: Odwalla, Horizon Organic, Honest Tea
    Good: Pepsi: Mountain Dew, Slice, Tropicana, All Sport, Aquafina, Mug Root Beer; (Celestial Seasonings); (Anheiser-Bucsh: Budwiser, O'Douls, Michelob)
    Fair: Coors: Naked Juice, Five Alive, Fruitopia, Powerade, Surge, Gatorade, Sunny Delight, (V8); (Coca Cola: Sprite, Dasani, Hi-C, Minute Maid)
    Poor: Country Time, Kool-Aid, Tang, Lipton, (Miller:Genuine Draft)

Cereal:
    Look For: Organic, Non-GMO
    Good: General Mills: Cheerios, Wheaties; (Kellogg's: Crispix, Rice Crispies)
    Fair: Quaker: Oats, Cap'n Crunch
    Poor: (Post: Grape Nuts, Raison Bran); (Nabisco: Shredded Wheat)

Cleaning Products:
    Look For: Phosphate Free Non-Petroleum No Chlorine Biodegradable Non Toxic Ammonia Free Non-Aerosol Not/Never Tested on Animals
    Excellent: Seventh Generation, Ecover, Allens Naturally
    Good: SC Johnson: Windex, Pledge, Shout, Colgate-Palmolive: Ajax, Murphy's Oil Soap, Fab; (Proctor & Gamble: Cheer, Dawn, Tide)
    Fair: Chlorox: Pine-Sol, S.O.S., 409, Tilex, Liquid-Plumr
    Poor: Unilever: All, Wisk

There is a lot more just in the Supermarkets caterogory alone, so once I clean my parent's home I will type the rest up, and the Department Stores and why you should pick the excellent choices. :)

15. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

thank you so much! this is incredibly helpful!

16. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

i just looked up the book on amazon, it looks really good I will prolly buy it soon....but, you should post more of the book, have it free for more people to see. that way, alot more people can start buying more from the excellent lists, and you would have done a huge part in fighting evil global corporations. :)

17. freedbypeace

That's where I got it from. I will now post the rest of the shopping.

18. Mui

Mui Senior Member

warrior is a fascist, we all know that.

Just wanted to say that

19. freedbypeace

SUPERMARKETS (con't)

Coffee:
    Look for: Organic Shade Grown Bird Friendly Fair Trade Cooperative Substainable
    Excellent: Equal Exchange, Thanksgiving Coffee Co., Adam's Organic, Cafe Campesino, Green Mountain
    Good: (Starbuck's: Frappucino)
    Fair: (Procter & Gamble: Folgers, Millstone, MJB)
    Poor: Nestle: Hills Bros, Nescafe. Taster's Choice; (International Coffees), (Sanka), (Master Blend), (Maxwell House), (Brim), (General Foods), Gevalia), (Yuban,) (most store brands)

General Food:
    Excellent: Newman's Own, Eden Foods, Horizion Organic, Stonyfield Farms
    Good: General Mills: Bisquick; Pilsbury: Green Giant; Betty Crooker; Frito-Lay; (Kellogg's: Eggo, Pop-tarts); (Procter & Gamble: Jif, Pringles)
    Fair: Quaker: Rice-a-Roni, Auntr Jemina, Hershey's; Campbell Soup: Prego, Pepperidge Farm; (Best Foods: Skippy, Boboli, Mazola), (H.J. Heinz: Weight Watchers, Ore-Ida, Stouffers)
    Poor: Nestle; Del Monte; Lipton: Ragu; Borden: Classico; Tyson; Bird's Eye, Hunt's; ConAgra: Healthy Choice, Banquet, Van Camp's, Peter Pan; Interstate Bakeries: Hotess, Wonder, Roman Meal, (Nabisco: Oreo); (Post); (Kraft: Tomestone); (Smithfield Foods: John Morrell)

I promise I will finish atleast the rest of the supermarket section today. Tommorrow I will type up the department stores and give information on why to shop at certain places.

20. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

That does sound like a good book I guess, but I'm looking forward to hearing why we our money is better spent at some of these places. I mean, Cheerios being a good cereal, fair enough, it might be all natural or whatever (I wouldn't know). But still it's made by Nestle. One of the companies often mentioned alongside WalMart for being Evil as hell.

And Proctor and Gamble? They must be taking the piss on a few occasions, surely! I've not seen any 'good' products come out of their animal-testing-chemical-laden asses.

What's the dilly, yo? :p