WalMart MUST DIE

Discussion in 'Globalization' started by nowhere, May 27, 2004.

1. Pharoah

Pharoah Member

I just can't bring myself to purchase anything from a corp like wal mart. I too have cash restraints. They refuse to promote women to managerial positions, they pay their workers shit and refuse to allow them to unionize. I find walmart to be BAD business. In the end all we have are walmarts and no small businesses then they can jack up their prices because they have outsold all the nearby competition.
    These women in Bangladesh not only get paid poorly, but they are beaten and yelled at if they don't work fast enough. I feel it does the world good to not shop at SPRAWL-Mart.
    So if you have a conscious or you have any amount of psychic capability you will FEEL the energy in your clothes etc that are made by women and children who are basically slaves and ALOT poorer than you. I personally can't stand the place!

Wal mart IS evil!!!

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Quote:They might as well make vests which read "how may I suck your cock?"

I accidently put one of those vests on the other day, oh the hilarity that followed.

I agree with most of the last few posts, except the thing about psychicly sensing your clothes were made in a sweatshop! haha.

And to the girl who compared wal mart with becoming the president of the US, what the hell do you mean? We weren't talking about 1 coimpany being successful within their market, we are talking about a store that drives all stores in EVERY market out of business, employs a couple of sad sacks and pays them nothing in return. They have killed more than a few small towns and enslaved the population for 6 bucks an hour and a few cents off some crappy candle, not to mention their horrible clothes.

If you value the ability to open small businesses an stores, you will not support Wal-Mart.

3. missfontella

missfontella Mama of Da Assassins

President of the company ( rolling eyes)

4. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Forgive me for being so stupid then *rolls eyes even more*

You are obviuosly right, Wal/Mart is not only great for the world and a great place to work, but also a glimpse into America's bright future.

5. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

DIE! DIE! DIE! I will pitch in for the explosives.

6. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Wallmart...

I'm so glad that they havent really caught on in L.A.

Why is Wallmart bad?
    1)They undersell smaller stores and "mom and pop" stores because they offer such a massive amount of stuff. The smaller stores go out of buisness, and Wallmart gets a monopoly. Monopolys are VERY bad...you never want to have one company in full control of a industry.
    2)They hire workers to jobs for very low wage and give them basically no job skills so that they can gain a better posisition in the job market
    3)They use child labor... trust me, that tickle me elmo was made by some 12 year old Chinese kid. This is also one of the reasons for their cheap prices.
    4)They contribute GREATLY to globalization

So, when you shop at Wallmart, you do get cheap prices, but you get them at a cost...

Oh, and one other thing...

Wallmart is the biggest corporation in the whole world.

7. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

Wal-Mart was my first job..and let me tell you it’s hell!!...It was the first supercenter in South Fl.. They hired over 800 people. All the little ma and pa stores around went out of biasness and now they work at wal-mart. Its sick all the managers spend 12 14 hours a day there.. you work 10 hours a day. I really couldn’t take it anymore. You guys should see all the stuff they throw away bran new bikes out of the box in the big garbage disposal just because it was missing a light! The other day we were driving buy and my mom see the garden guy with 4 carts of plants to throw away because they were out of season while we were loading them this guy comes out and starts screaming at us!.. that the plants had to go to the garbage!.. I can go on forever!... the sad truth is that they are everywhere!.. it feels like in a few years everyone is going to be working for wal-mart one way or another they have gas stations now and in the next year they are going to open a wal-mart car dealer =/

8. SRVBlues

SRVBlues Member

I'm sure it happens in other cities, too, but in one neighborhood where I live, the city was proposing $10 Million in tax concessions if they would build a store in a run-down area. Like the corporate giant really needs any help with development.

My union boycotts Wally World and Sam's Club, and I get sick every time my wife tells me she has shopped there.

Luckily, other neighborhoods are wising up and banding together to keep new stores out of thier areas. Good for them!

9. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

the other thing I hate about Walmart....

I've been in Walmart twice, and both times I was in their it seems like the customers are all the most depressed unhappily married people I've ever seen.

oh, and I dig the way you spell buisness Hershedog bananacat....

biasness...I like the way it sounds

10. sreed24

sreed24 Member

Count me on the other side of this debate.

Whether anyone likes to admit it or not, Walmart succeeds because it offers value. You can go to Walmart and get for $50 what you used to have to go buy in four different places and spend $100. For all the romantic notions of mom-and-pop stores, Walmart's success is proof that people do care about price and convenience. And, frankly, there are a lot of families who can have a little bit more because of Walmart.

You may value other things than price and convenience and that is certainly your right. You may not like how Walmart operates, what it represents, or just the way its stores look. If so, don't shop there. If you like, try to persuade other people not to shop there. If enough people agree with you, Walmart will stop being successful or have to change its ways.

However, I would be careful about judging people who perhaps have different values than you and prefer the low prices and convenience of Walmart to the local feel of neighborhood stores. Leave the condemning others for having different values than you to the right wingers who are so good at it.

11. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

ALRIGHTY then...........i too will admit to going to wal-mart. its a pain cause of the large amounts of angry people, but i get good deals.

i agree with the arguements against it but its one of the only places in my town too. but hey.........i have no money to spend at all so they dont even get my business

12. HersheDog_BananaCat

HersheDog_BananaCat Member

Yea Day dreamer My Keyboardx is missings a buncha keys so I have typos all the time.. sorry about them..

13. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

Most of the Walmart stores out here are built on Indian burial mounds.... they just plowed right over them and destroyed everything and had the cops mace all the protesters... it was kind of cool, though, at the protest... this old Indian guy started singing a song on the day they were breaking ground, and all of a sudden it started pouring down rain and they had to postpone it for a couple days. I was so freaked out, because the sun had been shining and it was like 85 degrees... :) It made me a believer...haha

14. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

I wasn't attempting to judge others. I realize that the low prices and convenience that Walmart offers are very attractive. However, my main intention was to point out that the prices and convenience(for you, as a Walmart customer) come at a price to others which most of us seldom realize. I wanted to make it known that Walmart puts alot of smaller stores out of business, and does utilize cheap foreign labor(and often, child labor) in manufacturing their products in order to achieve low prices.

So, once again, while YOU get a special, lwo lwo low price, others get screwed so that you can have it.

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

15. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Oh, i wan't making fun of you. I actually prefer your spelling over the standard, I has a nicer feel.

16. nowhere

nowhere Member

Yeah I was the one to make the first post and coming back and reading it makes me look like a carzyed luntic. I must have went to walmart that day ( has anybody came out of wal mart not pissed off :) but anyways it hard to fight with the prices of a huge industry such as wal mart. Another major concern of mine is the fact mom and pop stores are forced to sell ther products at higher prices beacuse everbody is at fucking wal mart. Any ways it hard to fight a store that has branches larger that some miltary instillations ( which in it's self is quite sick) and one last thing ( major run on sentence) How many comericals do you need when everbody goes there anyways. I mean I believe that i hate the palace more than any person on the planet but i still go there. ON one final thought the stores are getting so big that the greeters will eventualy be the ones that pass out maps to you when you come in the store

17. xscoutx

xscoutx Member

18. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

the walmarts here are really shitty. in the town where i live, we have two walmarts, and right now they are building a two-story megawalmart RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET from another walmart. not lying. the town isnt even that big!!! who the hell needs another walmart? i hate that damn place.

19. DavidisNeo

DavidisNeo Member

Sreed24 look at this

Wal-Mart wields its power for just one purpose: to bring the lowest possible prices to its customers. At Wal-Mart, that goal is never reached. The retailer has a clear policy for suppliers: On basic products that don't change, the price Wal-Mart will pay, and will charge shoppers, must drop year after year. But what almost no one outside the world of Wal-Mart and its 21,000 suppliers knows is the high cost of those low prices. Wal-Mart has the power to squeeze profit-killing concessions from vendors. To survive in the face of its pricing demands, makers of everything from bras to bicycles to blue jeans have had to lay off employees and close U.S. plants in favor of outsourcing products from overseas.
    "People ask, 'How can it be bad for things to come into the U.S. cheaply? How can it be bad to have a bargain at Wal-Mart?' Sure, it's held inflation down, and it's great to have bargains," says Dobbins. "But you can't buy anything if you're not employed. We are shopping ourselves out of jobs."

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

20. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

I agree that Walmart sucks, but, aside from simply boycotting them, I think it's useless trying to fight them because corporate take-overs are not only inevitable but they are at the core roots of American socio-economic culture. In any capitalist society it is inevitable that the corporations will supercede the Government. Even if you could somehow "kill" Wal-mart, some other rich family would combine their money and do the exact same thing as Wal-mart.

I still won't purchase anything from there though.