Waking life~a dreamers must see movie~

Discussion in 'Dreams' started by Rar1013, May 28, 2004.

1. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

Has anyone had the pleasure to see this excellent movie yet...it is very trippy, animated, full of profound thoughts, and all about LUCID DREAMING!!! It is the best movie i've ever seen!

Some of the deep thoughts in this movie include: telepathy, physical law, religion, communication and language, free will, anti-media, dehuminization, anti-government, freedom, non-conformity, art, philosophy, film, society, and soooooo much more...

It is basically about this guy and his encounters w/ many people..they tell him life lessons and storys and just rant and rave about bull shit.....but through out the movie he is taught to realize that he is just walking thru a dream world........

Fabulous movie............I would recommend it to any dreamer out there..........KEEP IT ALIVE..........KEEP IT SURREAL!

2. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

BEAUTIFUL MOVIE! A great not just for dreamers but has lots of amazing philisophical outlooks and ideas. The movie forces you to think without relizing it. Love love love the movie! My favorite bit is probably the one about Words/Symbols and Evolution of Man

3. loverofthewoods

loverofthewoods Member

so i watched it last night and had quite the expirience when i layed down to sleep that night...

since i had just watched the movie Waking Life and had lucid dreaming on my mind before i went to sleep. i have never been so concious in crossing / straddeling the line of sleep and waking. i wasnt long before i realized i was dreaming and tried to astral project out of my lucid state.
    my mind awoke immediatly...red flashes of light filled my vision...a ringing sound in my ears...and my spirit began vibrating within me, i could physically feel the vibrations of my very soul...frequency pulsating with our universe. an amazing expireince. i was so startled by the expirience that i snapped out of my altered state.

but anyway...i thought A Waking Life is a great movie...not too many like it these days.

4. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yeah, seen it, love it. Some of the philosophy is a bit iffy, (according to my proffesors anyway) but we did still watch it as part of my epistemolgy paper - it does make some valid and facinating points and the way it is filmed is really innovative and adds to the dreamy feel...It is a great movie.

5. respect_the_fro

respect_the_fro Member

this movie is amazing people, awesome job bringin it up

6. Rar1013

Rar1013 GroovaMama

I luv how they filmed the movie first..then did computer animation on it...but they still used the real movement of the actors...it was soo amazing.....so trippy.....and so deep.....it was great how the characters just kept changing and talking about interesting stuff........ i liked the guy driving around in the car screaming over the loud speaker.....hehehe......:)

7. Tamee

Tamee naked

sounds like a must see that I haven't seen yet.

8. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

Yeah great movie... but I don't see how the philosophy could be iffy... afterall this is the kind of movie that is up to the individual to interpret. My favorite part in the movie is when he is told about the lights, and how if he doesn't know if he is awake or dreaming, to turn the lights on and off... if they stay on, hes dreaming... if they turn off, he's awake. Then he tries the lights and they stay on, when he is sure he's awake. Beautiful thought provoking movie.

9. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yeah, it's definitley up for individual intepretation - I just mean that some of the philosophical statements that the characters make are not that strong. I'd have to watch it again to point out the exact bits, but yeah, some of the points don't really hold up to examnation.
    I do adore this film though (and I love that i can use it as study - I am doing a philosophy and a film/media studies degree, and what better way to combine the two than with Waking Life? :) )

10. lace_and_feet

lace_and_feet Super Member

Awesome movie. And yes, awesome how they first filmed the movie then painted over the film.

11. error

error Member

i have that movie at home, a friend said its a must-see... and i really want to see it - but somehow my computer wont run it!
    so, for a month now i am trying to "repair" it or something, but no success... and he calls me every now and then asking if i saw it, if i saw it... and i still havent! and then he is "but you have to...".. so i guess i have to...
    well, i think im gonna go and see it somewhere else! finally:)

12. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

Amazing Movie, Indeed. It's brillant the way they filmed this film and the thoughts of each scene are remarkable.. I owned the movie as well, and they show the real scenese to some of the animation that is shown.. truly an unqiue and awesome film..

13. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

I loved loved loved this movie. This is so beautiful and so amazing.

If you want a break from the shallow movie fodder and want to actually expand your mind check this out.

I loved the conversation the two women had at the cafe about the search for our identity and if we truly have one at all. We pick up a two-dimensional picture, the woman explains, and we see this baby and attempt to connect ourselves with the baby and say "This is me." So, in an attempt to connect ourselves further and give ourselves the identity that we are this baby, we create a story connecting it to us combining our presences yet we never realize we're not the same person we were ten or eleven years ago. So, the question is: Do we ever really have an identity?

It's just incredible shit. It's an excellent movie.

14. metro

metro self-banned

I love this movie too, I should see it again, it's been awhile. I agree the animation was cool and the discussions were interesting. It's the type of movie you have to see again.

15. VanAstral

VanAstral Member

If it's anything like Jurassic Park then you bet I'll watch it...
    I like dinosaurs... they trip over trees... keepin' it simple.

16. error

error Member

it is really an interesting movie!
    animation is great, cool idea to animate filmed clips...
    and dialogs stayed with me, running round my head for a while...

i guess i'll need to see it again..:))