Voting? Who do you want as president?

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by ZenKarma, Sep 29, 2020.

?

Biden or Trump

Poll closed Nov 8, 2020.
  1. Biden

76.5%
  2. Trump

23.5%
  1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Biden to reconstruct America or Trump to continue with his destruction?

I read the following in the Washington Post this morning, I believe many Americans if any color or background all agree there is a high anxiety gripping the nation as this passion play works itself out.

November gathers on the horizon.

“I liken it to watching a hurricane in the gulf.”

In rural Oxford, Miss., Heather McTeer Toney is at her kitchen table with a laptop, a cup of coffee and some Goldfish crackers. Her 4-year-old is watching “Henry Hugglemonster” in the next room. Autumn has just arrived. Her walks at dawn, with Beyoncé or “Hamilton” in her ears, are crisp and centering. All the while, it approaches.

“You see it coming toward land, and that intensity is growing.”

She is a former mayor and regional administrator for the Environmental Protection Agency. She has grappled in real time with major emergencies at both the state and federal levels, and she has strategized long-term to preserve an endangered planet. She knows anxiety.

“And I’ve never had the anxiety I have right now,” says Toney, the national field director for Moms Clean Air Force. “Because there’s such a convergence of issues that I feel both as a climate activist and as a Black woman. And all of these things come together on November 3.”

Tishomingo likes this.
  2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I can't respond to your survey, you forgot to include me on the list. :yum::yum::yum:

scratcho and ZenKarma like this.
  3. ~Zen~

Yes @wilsjane, the question is for the ones who actually can vote. Opinions are welcome also, we get plenty of those, many from people who can not vote in the USA.

It seems at times as if we are swimming in opinions. Here in the USA the news is no longer news, merely opinion and talking heads parroting whatever the producers tell them to say (notice the ear buds they are always listening to while they spout nonsense).

4. wilsjane

You got it wrong, I want to be the one standing for president.
    Having read your reply, it looks as if I would have to apply for American citizenship first..... Shucks.

PS, Would you vote for me. ??????
    My manifesto would simply be, stopping sending all the $$$$$ along a one way street to China.
    Everyone would have jobs, the government would have more money and less social welfare to pay and Detroit could rise from the ashes.

5. ~Zen~

Yes I did get it wrong, but I would vote for you...

... if you had a broader manifesto.

Sending cash to China is just ONE of the many problems that need addressing.

6. wrat1

wrat1 Members

where is the none of the above option?

wilsjane and ZenKarma like this.
  7. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Vote for me. I promise every day will be Christmas, nobody has to work again-ever, millions of dollars will be printed and sent to every citizen, speed limits will be raised to 150 on the freeways, seventy five in school zones-(got to protect the kiddies), prostitution will be legal--a whore on every corner, everyone will have to drive their cars full speed backwards on Thursdays, Fridays will be demolition derby day--run into anyone you want, Saturdays will be open warfare--keep score--there will be prizes, and many more reasonable laws to be announced when the peanuts get ripe. (Candidate curls lip)---thank you--thank you very much.

ZenKarma and wrat1 like this.
  8. wilsjane

True, but I see the level of Chinese imports as the key to bringing industry back to the US and putting money back into the workers pockets to afford to buy the goods that they are producing. Henry Ford made America the only country where workers could afford a car, the same could happen again.
    My objective would be to balance the money going into China with the amount returning to the US. At a guess, this would cut the imports by around 70%
    A large part of the current problem lies with the importers who make billions of dollars every year. In my mind, they are nothing but parasites to the country.
    I have little doubt that they are the people who discredited Trump, the moment that they realized that his manifesto would derail their gravy train.
    Taxing the remaining 30%, would also give the government the funding to resolve many of the other problems that you mentioned.

The most important part would be to bring the people onboard from day one. When they see light at the end of the tunnel, they will jump onboard.
    It happened during WW2, when people accepted FAIR wages to keep America safe. It could happen again.
    Once people are happy and feel secure, they will work, drink less alcohol, eat less junk food and crime will be seen as socially unacceptable.

Resolving the current situation would be a vast undertaking, taking more than a decade, but however long that I think about it, I come to the same conclusions.
    Hopefully, once the US set the example, western Europe would follow, possibly led by the UK, since leaving the EU opens the path to reciprocal trade with the US.
    Since America brings vast amounts of money into the UK, it would be a win, win situation.

The irony is that Trump has already seen this. For all his faults, I still see him as a loyal citizen of your country. He realizes that to rebuild America, capitalists hold the key, I think that many people have got his basic intentions all wrong. A handful of small businesses will not change the economic future of a great nation.
    I know that you don't agree with me, but give it a little thought. The power of the media can easily sway the public.

PS, I would forget the great wall. That was not a sledgehammer to crack a walnut, it was a nuclear bomb to crack a peanut. :yum::yum::yum:

9. wilsjane

I think that you agree with the end of the forth paragraph of my last reply.
    Perhaps you don't agree that it is NOT trump pulling the strings,

10. ~Zen~

@wilsjane Sorry but I do not think of T as a loyal citizen, his only interests are himself, and his cronies. While you do have a good point about Chinese imports and balance of trade I see things differently.

11. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Anyone who isn't a narcissistic racist and respects the constitution.

12. I got a bit excited about Tom Steyer but he entered too late and that fizzled out.

ZenKarma likes this.
  13. endlessdistanthills

endlessdistanthills Members

If I can't vote for Mohandas K Gandhi (and unfortunately I can't), I'll vote for Biden.

ZenKarma likes this.
  14. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There's a land that's fair and bright
    Where the handouts grow on bushes
    And you sleep out every night
    Where the boxcars all are empty
    And the sun shines everyday
    All the birds and the bees
    And the cigarette trees
    The lemonade springs
    Where the bluebird sings

All the cops have wooden legs
    And the bulldogs all have rubber teeth
    And the hens lay soft-boiled eggs
    The farmers' trees are full of fruit
    And the barns are full of hay
    Oh, I'm bound to go
    Where there ain't no snow
    Where the rain don't fall
    The wind don't blow

You never change your socks
    And the little streams of alcohol
    Come trickling down the rocks
    The brakemen have to tip their hats
    And the railroad bulls are blind
    There's a lake of stew
    And of whiskey too
    You can paddle all around them
    In a big canoe

The jails are made of tin
    And you can walk right out again
    As soon as you are in
    There ain't no short-handled shovels
    No axes, saws, or picks
    I'm going to stay
    Where you sleep all day
    Where they hung the jerk
    That invented work

-Harry McClintock

scratcho likes this.
  15. Michael1985

Michael1985 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'm glad I'm Canadian and don't have to vote because neither one impresses me. If I had to vote and had to pick between just those two candidates, I'd go for Biden because he's actually qualified for the office, whereas Trump never was. That should hardly be considered a ringing endorsement.

wrat1 likes this.
  16. Hip Pickle Rick

Hip Pickle Rick Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

With a choice of only two people, Biden is the obvious pick..

scratcho likes this.
  17. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Add God to the list! America needs his help.

Hip Pickle Rick likes this.
  18. Hip Pickle Rick

Hip Pickle Rick Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Your right...we need all the help we can get!

19. Letlovintakehold2

Letlovintakehold2 Members

I think I'm gonna sit this one out. It will be the first time doing so since I became of age in 2004. Nothing good can come of it and I see no value in participating

20. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

it may just be the end of democracy if you don't

unfocusedanakin and Tishomingo like this.