Vote-by-mail bill

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Feb 6, 2020.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Part of the new House Reform bill includes a measure to change all voting across the country to be mail-in ballots. Introduced by my state's senator.

Wyden, Blumenauer Applaud Inclusion of Vote-By-Mail in House Reform Bill; Reintroduce Flagship Vote-By-Mail Bill in House and Senate | U.S. Senator Ron Wyden of Oregon

I think this is a great idea. Here in my state we don't have voting stations and booths. I've never even seen any of those in real life. We do a mail-in ballot only.

The best part about this is this will minimize, if not put a full end to the constant bickering of where polling stations go, what time of day they operate, the transportation to get there, and pushing the dumb idea of getting rid of voter ID laws.

scratcho likes this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

clearly this is a bill written by a post office employee. look at all the extra income they're going to get from that.

anyway, this will just change the constant bickering to a slightly different set of complaints. "this is racist, black people tend to have less money and therefore they can't buy stamps. you're trying to exclude people who can't get to a post office."

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

No, in person voting only. Paper ballots only. Proof of identity.

Okiefreak and soulcompromise like this.
  4. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Omg smart phone voting already

Gul Dukat, lode and WritersPanic like this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Vote by mail and internet seems ideal, but then there's even less authenticity IMHO. Too easy to not open a letter and add vote here or there, or hack an online site and spread votes around.

Tbh i think everyone should just not vote, ever. What are they gonna do fine and jail everybody? Nope. But it's a sure fire way to let your government know you literally just don't care for them, not interested, what a joke.

Unfortunately there still seems to be a high percentage of people who actually go and vote with a belief that they're vote actually means something. Smh.

In Australia where we had to vote compulsory, I always Mail voted cause it best the crowds. I didn't expect my vote to count toward anything. I just needed my name ticked off so I wouldn't get fined I also donkey voted legitimately on my form, so I have even more of an indication the vote meant nothing because they could have picked me up for not voting still, but they didn't, probably because it got tossed in the bin. They would have scanned my mail Barcode, my name would have been ticked off, the vote would have went to whoever working in the grey area.

6. lode

lode Banned

I sketched out an app to do this, and I've read a couple college papers to do this too.

It's doable. The problem is to make the system secure you'd need to coordinate with DPS/DMV and whoever organizes elections in the your state.

Combine this with the difficulty of organising and complying with 50 states separate rules. It'd be a huge project that would require a large team of dedicated tech resources to accomplish.

So no private company is going to invest in it. You'd probably want to pass some legislation in your state for them to outsource this to a tech company.

7. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Even though this state mails ballots out roughly 3 weeks before the voting day, giving people plenty of time to reach a mail Dropbox. As well as these ballots being free to mail without postage. I can easily see these complaints being made.

If leftists think black people are too inept to acquire a state issue ID to vote, then they’ll likely propagate the idea that they are also too inept to mail a ballot. This is the racism of low expectations

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

9. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ever heard of Pre-paid envelopes ??? and you don't need access to a Post Office per se, just a letter box !!!

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The fatal flaw! Kaspersky?

stormountainman likes this.
  11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I think if you allowed voting at fast food drive thrus in America, you would get like 90% voter turn out

soulcompromise likes this.
  12. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

In Oklahoma, we're really backward. We fill out our ballots with a pencil and put them into a machine that records them. No internet connection. Seems to work.

13. Lego Batman

Lego Batman Scissors paper rocks

I thought you was telling Bill to vote by mail

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I already guessed that

15. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

In Republican Indiana it is only computer voting and no paper backup and if you object they'll come to your front door to yell at you for being a Liberal. After that I report them to the ACLU.

16. stormountainman

The problem is similar to Indiana (both Republican) the machine could change your vote, if programed to do that.

17. stormountainman

Funny how these Australians are so infatuated by OUR political process!

Okiefreak likes this.
  18. stormountainman

Oklahoma is Republican.

19. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

But there is paper backup. No system is flawless. Those envelopes have to be opened and counted by somebody, and they could be bribed or partisan.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  20. stormountainman

When I vote in person in Indiana I show several IDs and then they lead me to the machine and then I click buttons then click the big red button and there is no paper. It's a Republican system and Republicans have all the say so.