Vitamin help

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by CrAzYStaRR, May 17, 2004.

1. CrAzYStaRR

CrAzYStaRR Member

I took my (2 year old)daughter to the doctor today, and they said that her iorn is low and I need to put her on a one a day vitamin. Are there any thoughts or suggestions on this? Im just not sure what kind to get for a 2 year old.

Thanks so much!

2. MySwt1

MySwt1 Member

um, do you have a natural food store or co-op near you? you can go there to the vitamin section, and they have all kinds...if your child isn't crazy on vitamins, try the gummi bear kind...just make sure to tell them the difference between these and reg. ones and put them up so there's no easy access :) also, most of those are not made with gelatin incase you are vegetarian...if there's too many to decide, ask one of the workers

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I'm not a great advocate of vitamin suppliments. It would probably be better to just up her quota of iron rich foods.

Some good sources of the top of my head are: strawberries, raisins, broccoli, green beans, sunflower seeds, spinach, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, fortified cereals. *

TTFN

Sage

* Red meat too I suppose, but as a vegetarian I can't really bring myself to endorse it.

4. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I agree with Sage. I have found that iron supplements cause mad constipation. Oww.

5. CrAzYStaRR

CrAzYStaRR Member

Yesterday when I went to pick up for medication, the guy told me to get her the chewable kind, but my daughter looks at me like Im stupid when I give them to her.

I am going to try the gummie kind and see if that works. Plus Im going to feed her Iorn rich foods.

Thankyou all very much for the help!

6. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I've never been wild about vitamin supplements either, but my youngest son is SUCH a picky eater I started adding them to his diet to be on the safe side. It took me awhile to find one that he would actually take without gagging. Finally I stumbled across 'Nature's Plus - Animal Parade' at my local health food store. He LOVES the grape chewables. They are vegetarian, hypo-allergenic multi-vitamin & mineral supplements that also contain whole food concentrates (whole brown rice, broccoli, spinach, mango fruit, carrot & West Indian cherry). My son is seven so he takes the "required" two a day now; when he was younger (around your daughter's age) I gave him one a day. Nature's Plus has a wide variety of flavored chewables plus gummies & a powder to make a shake.

7. Hippie_Muncher

Hippie_Muncher Member

If her iron is low and you dont like the idea of suppliments then I would suggest alot of dark green foods, romaine lettues, broccoli you know the ones Im talking about, eat alot of red meats as well, and fish. WHEN feeding her them DO NOT use alot of calcium with them because it breaks down the iron and it doesnt work as well. use acidic drinks/fruits to go with the Iron filled foods.
    Raisin bran is another good one.

When I was pregnant I almost became anemic they told me to eat alot of these things and it helped a bunch!