Vitamin D - Some facts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BlackBillBlake, May 21, 2014.

1. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

No, obviously they don't or I would be sounding off like you do telling people to fuck over a simple debate, again, aspirin is good if you feel any strange chest pains at the end of your rough Internet day. You really should cool it some, we can hear the tension in your texting tones.

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

meridianwest,

70 percent of the public is deficient. Are you that dense? Even if it's not 70%, it's still a lot of people. In other words, at least 70% of the public could benefit from supplementing with vitamin D if they do not live near the equator and get adequate amounts of sunlight.

And if you think vitamin D supplementation has no benefits, tell that to people who haven't gotten a cold since they began supplementing.

People tend to get sick in the colder months which coincide with a lack of sunlight, and part of the reason for this is because their vitamin D levels are low.

Sounds more like something you want to believe is true than something that actually is true. Obviously not everyone who is deficient in vitamin D is going to immediately come down with heart disease or cancer. Nobody is claiming that. However, people that want to be in optimal health, as well as ward of common problems like high blood pressure, which coincide with low levels of D, would be well advised to supplement if they live very far above the equator.

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

After about a year of taking a high dose Vitamin D supplement I had another test, and my levels are now adequate, in fact right in the so called 'sweet spot'.

So obviously, supplementation does work.

4. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

...what have been the noticeable benefits?

5. BlackBillBlake

I think the benefits are mainly long term, but I haven't had a cold for a long time, which is important for me as I have a chronic respiratory condition. I think my regime of supplementation may have had some effect on that, as previously I have been getting colds quite regularly.

But obviously with things like gene expression, telomere damage etc you wouldn't really notice much difference. Not in the short term anyway.

6. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

One thing I have noticed with D supplementation, especially during the winter months, is that it helps with seasonal depression. Adequate levels tend to also coincide with more energy and overall well-being.

7. BlackBillBlake

I recall reading that Vitamin D plays a role in serotonin synthesis, so there is probably a sound basis for that. Omega 3's too.

8. JaneLove

JaneLove Members

I knew Vitamin D is important, but didn't realise how much!

9. DarrylSpiers

DarrylSpiers Members

This is very informative thread i must say. All posts are very informative. Well vitamins are important nutrition elements for healthy living. Vitamin D has also much importance in our body. Thanks for sharing about vitamin D. everyone should keep these facts in mind about vitamin D.

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

actually bill....I think Wikipedia has it right...y'all are just guessing with your health imo

Health effects of supplementation[edit]

The effects of vitamin D supplementation on health are uncertain.[6][59] A 2013 review did not find any effect from supplementation on the rates of disease, other than a tentative decrease in mortality in the elderly.[60] Low vitamin D levels may result from disease rather than cause disease.[60]

A United States Institute of Medicine (IOM) report states: "Outcomes related to cancer, cardiovascular disease and hypertension, and diabetes and metabolic syndrome, falls and physical performance, immune functioning and autoimmune disorders, infections, neuropsychological functioning, and preeclampsia could not be linked reliably with calcium or vitamin D intake and were often conflicting."[7]:5 Some researchers claim the IOM was too definitive in its recommendations and made a mathematical mistake when calculating the blood level of vitamin D associated with bone health.[61] Members of the IOM panel maintain that they used a "standard procedure for dietary recommendations" and that the report is solidly based on the data. Research on vitamin D supplements, including large-scale clinical trials, is continuing.[61]

11. David0301

David0301 Members

that is great and very important for health.
    VitaminD is such a powerful steroid hormone. It effects every single cell of your body.
    It improves digestion.
    It increases serotonin & melatonin which is produced by the pineal gland (the upper area between your eyes) when uv rays penetrate through it.
    Every chronic disease has a vitamind deficiency.
    The success rate of healing cancer just by vitamind increase (sun) is 77% compared with the 3% success rate of chemotherapy or radiation.
    VitaminD can ONLY be produced by the skin when in touch with the UV-B ray of the sun. UV-A on the other hand makes sure that you never overdose on vitamin-D because it neutralises the surplus. Meaning you can be out in the sun all day and still never overdose on vitamin-D. Provided you dont use any cream nor sunglasses.

Mothers-Milk does not contain any vitamind.
    Taken as supplements is a risk because 1.you can easily overdose (which is toxic & even deadly) 2.its efficiency is not as good as through synthesis of the skin

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  12. David0301

David0301 Members

In Austria,Germany (and im sure other european countries) people have always used vitamin-d lamps - another word "uv-lamps" - during winter-time. But for some reason they have stopped using them in the 50s/60s. Well known german,austrian,swiss doctors have sent their ill patients up onto the alpine mountains and ordered them to take their clothes off and to sunbathe. Chronic Diseases such as tuberculosis were healed. That therapy was called "heliotherapy" and is still well known among doctors. Many books have been written on that topic. But with the increasing power of the pharmaceutical company and the introduction of the 1st antiobiotics "peniciline" in the 30s/40s - the "heliotherapy" ceased.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018