Vitamin D - Some facts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BlackBillBlake, May 21, 2014.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Um... pretty ignorant statements which prove you don't really know what you're talking about since there are a number of things that are directly related to vitamin D deficiency, including high blood pressure, depression, weakened immunity, cancer, weak bones, etc. This is why, as Aerianne mentioned, doctors often put their patients on vitamin D supplements if their levels are low. However, it's usually the synthetic form that is prescribed to them, which is vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), which is not the form people should be taking. Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), the natural variant that one's body synthesizes from sunlight, is the preferred form for supplementation.

And just because 70% of the population is deficient in vitamin D -- which they are and is a proven fact that cannot be disputed -- does not mean 70% of the population will automatically be sick. However, it sets them up for poor health in the long run if they don't already have it. It's kind of like how not everyone who is obese suffers from cancer or heart disease, but they are running the risk being obese. The same holds true for people with nutritional deficiencies.

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

In addition to D3 being at a decent dose in my multi and also in my glucosamine supplement (cause it works well together for arthritis), I have these very small dissolvable dots of D3 in 2000IU's per dot from Natrol that you just put in your mouth...and they dissolve quickly and taste pretty good. :) (I don't take these all currently though every day because I'm pregnant and also because I've been getting some sun recently).

And I do think I need to have my levels checked!

See, this is just the type of way too logical... a common sense sort of statement...that based on that guy's posts in this thread, I'm pretty sure he just won't get at all, even though the concept is so simple.

3. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

you're the ignorant one here. ever opened an actual medial/science book in your life? or do you just get your ''facts'' from dubious internet sites, and what you heard from other people's point of view?

and that is exactly my point. there in no evidence that supplementing with vitamin D has any significant health benefits at all (other than preventing rickets and osteomalacia like said above).

why do we still have e.g. clinical depression if, like you claim, vitamin D deficiency is directly related to it? just give that sorry fuck those supplements and he should be out of that depression thing. no? or why do people with adequate serum levels of vitamin D still get depressed then? or why isn't everyone on the low side of vitamin D showing signs of depression? your math doesn't add up at all.

go run an actual medial study and show me the lab results on your theory. then come make claims that you do. right now you're just talking what you want to believe.

4. meridianwest

well, you're the one harboring under the impression that the more you pay for a chemical substance the better one you get. never mind that the cheaper ones have the exact same chemical formula the more expensive ones do.

your mind is simple indeed.

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Any vitamin deficiency can cause a variety of problems.

As far as depression, seasonal affective disorder is the first thing that springs to mind. I haven't personally done enough research to know much about vitamin d's contribution, but common sense tells me SAD is more than likely related to either vitamin d or melatonin production.

There are probably thousands of factors which can contribute to depression. Any kind of hormonal imbalance or deficiency in the body is certainly enough to throw your mind and body out of whack. You can't rule vitamin d out as a contributing factor just because there are other contributing factors. Depression is complex .

6. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Lemme help out here. The reason why everyone deficient isn't in clinical depression situations is because we are all different and if you and I had the same low numbers of D you might be taking different symptoms then I might.
    Reading Wiki and believing it as gospel is not a good move on your part, or mine. Those are not written by professionals specifically, they are written by anyone and if I am right it even looks as if we could go right in there and edit them posts.
    Wiki is helpful but like all posts on the web we must remember to believe what we should but not everything. More research is needed when reading wiki. Go to pub med or web MD sites as well.
    Vit D is being trialed as are many vitamins and supplements and it's being found we are low on many things that could save us from a lot of medical issues.
    Be a non believer as long as you like, I was too back before I found that some things actually made me feel better. With what we eat now and how things like veggies are grown you might wanna take supplements just to make what's in your body a similar value that it was many years ago. Everything is rush grown and done in false ways so that it can still grow and look the same but it's not anything like our grandmas grew in their gardens or the farmers did many years ago.
    Reishi mushrooms, have great properties that can help us, now you gotta make sure they are grown right. They grow on wood and draw nutrients from this wood and it takes a certain amount of time for them to grow to full size and by then their properties are set as a medicinal food. Now some companies are placing a plug of this wood in plastic slabs and speed growing them, guess what happens now, the small plug of wood is supplying nearly nothing to the mushroom but the sun and special green housing for speed growing makes them look ready. We take them hoping for the results they used to offer. They used to be seen as gold to royal families. Now maybe nothing for anyone unless you know where they are grown. Seriously man, if you want to think there is nothing we could do then go for it but these greens, herbs and such were here for us all along and we are rediscovering them, we like O Henry bars better tho because they taste good. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmmm, Ignorance is bliss.

7. meridianwest

fuck off. when did i say i treated it as a gospel? you read that one into it yourself

and, by the way, in case you didn't know, wikipedia sources directly from scientific texts and reliable publications. unreliable text gets edited out. of course it's not perfect, but it's surprisingly decent for an internet site.

i read medical science, Human Physiology the Mechanisms of Body Function by Vander et al; Principles of Neural Science by Kandel et al; Basic and Clinical Pharmacology by Katsung et al, to name a few.

http://www.amazon.com/Vanders-Human-Physiology-Mechanisms-Function/dp/0073378305/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400941265&sr=1-1&keywords=human+physiology+the+mechanisms+of+body+function"]http://www.amazon.com/Vanders-Human-Physiology-Mechanisms-Function/dp/0073378305/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400941265&sr=1-1&keywords=human+physiology+the+mechanisms+of+body+function

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Neural-Science-Fifth-Kandel/dp/0071390111/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400941302&sr=1-1&keywords=principles+of+neural+science+6th+edition"]http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Neural-Science-Fifth-Kandel/dp/0071390111/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400941302&sr=1-1&keywords=principles+of+neural+science+6th+edition

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Clinical-Pharmacology-LANGE-Science/dp/0071764011/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400941333&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=basic+an+dclinicla+pharmacology"]http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Clinical-Pharmacology-LANGE-Science/dp/0071764011/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400941333&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=basic+an+dclinicla+pharmacology

since i have them as books and not in a digital form i'd have to type out whole sections of the books to let you know what they have to say about your supposed benefits on supplementing with vitamin D. since i don't care to take 5 hours of my life for some internet strangers, wiki was a close approximation enough.

go read a medical book. but since you're in your blissful placebo the hard facts might ruin it for you.

8. meridianwest

severe long-term deficiency yes. never argued against that one.

well then back up your ideas with lab results.

exactly. so stop spreading bullshit that vitamin D is directly related to it. or that supplementing with it makes it better.

but you can rule vitamin D in as a contributing factor even though there are a multitude of factors affecting depression is that it? factor the orange juice in there while you're at it as well. plenty of people drink that one. maybe they drink too much. this is the absurd logic you're exhibiting right now.

9. Sallysmart

Sallysmart Raynstorm Serenade

Fuck off??? Well that was fun for me, I love it when the feathers get ruffled, I know I made an impact and you'll be thinking about this all day. Please don't drive a vehicle or operate any machinery till this affect wears off, see a doctor if chest pains follow and sometimes an aspirin can halt a heart attack. Use caution when approaching others during this period of anger and have a nice day.
    Oh and I rarely rely on the web for my advice, I have about a hindered and fifty medical and natural med books and yes, the web is always handy but we need to do lots ourselves.

10. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I'm not saying all cheaper vitamins/supplements aren't of decent quality. There are some that are decent and cheap.

But have you never seen the studies about all the vitamins/supplements that just sit in people's intestines and don't get digested? And all the vitamins/supplements that claim they have a certain amount of something but actually don't have that amount? Yeah, I'm sure you haven't.

But in any case, your statement is simply false. Although price doesn't necessarily equate to better quality supplements DO vary in quality.

(I haven't even mentioned yet something simple- what I was referring to... the COMPLETE prenatal system with six pills having more than a cheap brand of a one a day prenatal vitamin- they do NOT claim to have the same things in them. The cheaper one doesn't even CLAIM to have ANY probiotics, ginger, fruit and vegetable powder, DHA, minerals... AND the regular vitamins that both contain are in higher quantities based on what is LABELED ON THE BOTTLE.) So, how for example, could the cheaper supplement that I mentioned having 400 IU's of Vit D (D2, not even D3) contain the SAME THING as my more expensive product I'm taking that contains 2000 IU's of vit D3? And I'm the simple one? Yes, I can see that.

So, before you go making statements maybe you should think a little bit first. ;)

(Also I'm not getting ripped off even if you're right, which you're def. not, because I get my supplements extremely cheap- 25% cheaper than any store can buy them so I'll go on getting quality products for CHEAPER than I could go buy a, say, Naturemade product, and feel better that I am getting better quality AND saving money.)

:)

11. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Once again, another post that is way too logical and full of common sense for that guy to get or understand.

It's like it's very important to him to debunk any health benefits that anyone can receive from something he perceives as unconventional.

12. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Never mind :blush5:

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Supplementing with Vit D can make it better for people who are having issues BECAUSE of low levels of Vit D... no one is saying that for people who are having depression issues for OTHER reasons that supplementing w Vit D would help. And no one is saying that everyone who has high enough levels of vit D will not ever experience depression, as there are def. plenty of other causes.

HOWEVER... I am done talking to you because you are obviously not open to the possibly of anything you don't already believe. So this is all pointless.

Good day.

Oh God, my three year old hit a button and I thought he deleted what I had written thus far. Was so annoyed but alas... he just sent it early. :D Anyways, yea, I was just gonna comment to you that it's obvious this guy has issues.

14. meridianwest

lols. anonymous people on the internet make impact on you?

go read some of those medical books then.

15. meridianwest

since i'm ruining your blissful placebo effect, of course that's an issue for you.

16. meridianwest

i don't know what medical books you read, but you missed a page. or are a selective reader.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You're just being a dick, you obviously aren't interested in intelligent debate or polite discussion,, you just want to argue for the sake of arguing and so you can talk down to everyone who disagrees

Fun fun

18. meridianwest

thank you. i am a dick, asshole, and a jerk. and i do like making fun of idiots.

but i'm also interested in an intelligent (albeit maybe not that polite) discussion. which is hardly the case when all the other side of the conversation has to offer is arguments a la ''x does this'' without quoting any actual sources or without understanding the basic physiological processes behind vitamin D metabolism in the body. they're just stating things without explaining them. how is that intellectual.

and if you can't be intellectual, at least be consistent. first you (some one of you) claimed vitamin D directly contributes to depression and when i then argue against that then you start claiming thousands of factors contribute to depression and it's not that simple. that was exactly my point. it is that complex and i'd like to see your explanation how the vitamin D directly contributes to depression then. and the way you (not sure which one of you on this thread) tried explaining that was just ''see that's just too logical common sense''. what kind of explanation on an influence of a chemical substance on a human body is that?

start talking intellectually if you want an intellectual argument.

19. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

No shit, Sherlock. Of course there are numerous factors that play into depression. However, nutritional deficiencies play a big role in one's overall mental health and of course can contribute to depression. This is not a new concept. Vitamin D appears to have perhaps the biggest role of all the vitamins in preventing and treating depression. Just Google 'vitamin D, depression' and see all the hits you come up with.

You just want to be a fucking twat, so there is really no point in wasting time arguing with a dipshit.

20. meridianwest

i know it's complex. ergo, it's not as simple as claiming vitamin D directly contributes to it, which you did.

and if you'd paid attention you'd have noticed i argued against there being any significant benefits to supplementing with vitamin D. which is different than a deficiency. parli inglese? and, you'd have to be severely deficient for a longer period of time for it to start manifesting in a more serious way in your health.

and, if vitamin deficiencies ''of course'' contribute to depression, explain how exactly do they effect the depression physiologically in the human body then? huh? since you're so convinced you should have the understanding by which mechanism this comes to be?

if you know so well that vitamin D is being used for the treatment of depression then why are you not explaining how it is that it relieves depression? or quote a medical text. or point to a doctor that prescribed it for depression. instead of pointing to google that can be full of all kinds of texts of unknown reliability.