Vitamin C In Mass Doses

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pressed_Rat, Jan 18, 2005.

1. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

no no... dont suggest that here. people will get mad[​IMG]

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

the ld 50 for vite c is incredibly high. Oral rat LD50: 11900 mg/kg i dont even know how they'd be able to get a rat to ingest that much, honestly. it's impossible to overdose on vite c

so, you want to give some proof that vite c stresses out the kidneys?

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i'm not mad

cheers!

4. The Rainbow Flower

The Rainbow Flower noble art of living

3mg/day is the highest recommended dose of vitamine C.For colds you dont want to have or have time for(if you must sing*S*)....take the Vitamin C "bomb" 3mg in a lot of water and a lot of fresh garlic.And if you dont want to smell garlic take a lot of parsil it will take it away.

5. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

sorry :)

6. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

Your kidneys are what filters all the extras from your blood to your urine. The more they have to filter, the harder they have to work. Its not really a problem as long as you drink enough water. Its just that some people take a lot of stuff they don't need, just drink some soda of coffee and really aren't getting enough water to flush everything through as well as they need to. I'm not saying that if you take a lot of vit. C your kidneys are going to stop working overnight or anything like that. I'm just saying that over a life time of hard work they sometimes get tired, not always, but sometimes, and high levels of filtering with not enough water has been linked to them, think kidney stones as an example. Kidney stones aren't really vitiman deposits, but they are composed of excess calcium and some other stuff. Just remember that your body can function on its own on a healty diet and without some other underlying condition a healthy diet provides most everything you need. So just eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits and veggies, get some exercies and enjoy life:) .

7. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

Vitamin C is certianly beneficial, I took a Vit C and Echinacia tablet last winter and didnt get sick ONCE. It was brilliant. Soon after I stopped taking them I got a cold. Go Figure.

8. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

If you are going to take vitamin c supplements, take it in the morning or during the day but not last thing at night as it wakes the body up. For this reason it is not a bad idea to take a large source before driving on a long road trip in order to stay awake.

9. MetalWarrior

MetalWarrior Member

My experience with too much "C" is getting diareah. I keep a safe level in my system now by eating lots of fruits. Only time i get the runs is when i feel a cold or sore throat coming on i take 500mg every hour, start with 3, an hour later take 2, then every hour take 1.

10. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

It's amazing how many people have been brainwashed by the medicial establishment and FDA into thinking that taking "too much" vitamin C is harmful. You cannot take too much vitamin C, and the worst side effect from taking a lot is diarrhea. Nobel Prize winning chemist Linus Pauling recommended 12,000mg daily.

11. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Bullshit. Plus, you provided no facts. Only opinion and supposition. Why should anyone listen to you?

12. Advaya

Advaya Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Vitamin C can be used to cause miscarriages or DYI abortions when taken in massive doses. It's up there with pennyroyal and other herbs.
    Here's a few links :
    http://www.sisterzeus.com/Vit_C.htm
    http://www.sisterzeus.com/vit_c_ab.html

I'm not saying that vitamin C isn't good in massive dosages, or even that it's abortion properties are bad. I just think women need to be aware before they go and have accidental miscarriages, or are informed very well before using it for an abortion.

13. free2fly

free2fly Members

This is absolutely true. I used to study up on herbs and vitamins because I had an interest in being a natural healer.... and I used to also take vitamins heavily... the main one being Vitamin C...

If I am exposed to people who are sick with colds, etc .... I will immediately start taking as much as 2000mgs daily. If I AM sick ... I would possible take as much as 10,000 (and have done so before with no problems) ..... however it works best if you are on a maintenance daily dose of about 250-500mgs to begin with..... another thing that works well alongside of it, is Echinacea. But it has to already be in the system to have much effect during cold/flu season ...... and the downside is that you shouldnt take it for extended periods of time. But yeah Vitamin C is about the most harmless vitamin ...

It's also shown to be beneficial for canines with hip dysplasia and cats with feline leukemia ..... its a great vitamin... :)

14. mehandi

mehandi Member

That's almost a kilogram if I ate it! I can eat 400 g of acerola in a day, but no way could I eat that much vitamin C...

15. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

The LD means "Lethal dose." One can do damage to the body, permanent or temporary, without getting near the lethal dose. Lethal dose "50" means that is when 50% of the animals in the studiy died shortly after being given the dose. LDs don't include long term side effects which could take months or years to cause problems or even death. It is IMMEDIATE death, within days or less of the overdose. Some died with less than this amount, some more.

The LD50 has little to do with damage from regular much lower overdose amount of the drug. You can do a lot of damage before you kill yourself. I think actually killing youserlf outright on Vit C would be pretty hard. But, as with all things, too much of a good thing isn't neccesarily good.

Yes, it's a fantastic vitamin. There are no vitamins which are not fantastic, as you need them all. Just make sure you know what you are doing, if you choose to take mega doses, and of course, if you are pregnant, nursing, or have a medical condition, talk to a professional before taking doses way over the recommended dose.

16. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

taking too much vitamine c can cause diarrhea, that's all as far as i know

17. guy

guy Senior Member

i have read a book called "scurvy" recently, it dealt with the havoc it caused whilst it prevailed on ships. from about 1500 to 1830 scurvy killed appox 2 million sailors. the scorb as it was known
    SYLLABICATION: scor·bu·tic
    PRONUNCIATION: skôr-bytk
    VARIANT FORMS: also scor·bu·ti·cal (-t-kl)
    ADJECTIVE: Of, relating to, resembling, or affected by scurvy.
    ETYMOLOGY: New Latin scorbticus, from scorbtus, scurvy, perhaps of Germanic origin

plagued the navies of the world. the royal navy of the english would over populate naval ships as they expected mortality rates of at least 50 percent, though the worst expeditions would lose around 3/4 of the crew. ships would be abandoned / scuttled as no crew lived to service the ship. the scorb affected people in different ways, the most common was swollen gums and mouths, the teeth would fall out and the knees would become weak. on the ships the lack of vit c would affect the brain chemistry of the crew and a morose feeling would descend on the crew, then gangrene would set in!! the officers having a better diet would fare better than the crew though eventually they would fall prey to it. when treating an ailment on board if all is discounted then suspect scurvy.

you see they eventually learnt that small doses of vit c was only enough to prevent the most malignant forms of it, it was much better to make sure that sailors did not just get rations to hold it at bay but to rigourously keep vit c levels up in the higher ranges. oranges and lemons the most effective anti-scorbutics (ascorbic acid) were stuffed into the hold for long voyages. far be it for me to dictate what people do but i'd say that an informal human testing of two million men is enough to prove that scurvy does strike and without the most striking symptoms. as an aside they found that scurvy would do things like break the bone! sailors who had broken their bones many years ago would find the bone opening up as before as if the bone had never healed. vit c is like most things moderation is a virtue i'd not take more than 1000mg per day.

ps bilby - why does vit c wake you up??

18. free2fly

free2fly Members

Actually thats true.... I was just looking into how mass dosages of Vitamin C has been used as a natural and emergency contraceptive purposes. Apparently it has also been used as a home abortive method ... so yeah, if you are wanting to get pregnant, or are, be careful taking Vitamin C. But if you dont care then it can be a good thing...

"Vitamin C works to produce an unfavorable climate within the uterus so that the egg does not implant, or if implantation has already occurred, Vitamin C can weaken the fertilized ovum's grip on the uterine wall. Possibly by stimulating estrogen, and interfering with progesterone..."

"Who shouldn't use Vitamin C -
    Individuals who have sensitive kidneys, kidney disease, kidney stones, or kidney problems of any kind, may want to avoid large amounts of Vitamin C. People who take anti-coagulants [like aspirin or other pharmaceutical drugs], who have sickle-cell anemia, or who have difficulty metabolizing Vitamin C shouldn't take large amounts of vitamin C without the supervision of their physician.
    MotherNature.com lists these conditions where people who have them shouldn't use vitamin c. Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency, Iron overload (hemosiderosis or hemochromatosis), History of kidney stones, Kidney failure."

19. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

Vitamin C 2,000 mg/day, not 1,000 as mentioned above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietary_Reference_Intake
    Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) is a set of guidelines set up in 1997 to give more detailed guidance than the Recommended Dietary Allowance system which preceded it. It was a collaboration between the USA and Canada.

The DRI is composed of:

Estimated Average Requirements (EAR), expected to satisfy the needs of 50% of the people in that age group.
    Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA)
    Adequate intake (AI), where no RDA has been established
    Tolerable upper intake levels (UL), to caution against excessive intake of nutrients (like vitamin D) that can be harmful in large amounts.
    RDA/AIs and ULs for a 25-year old male include:

Nutrient RDA/AI UL
    Vitamin A 900 3,000 mcg/day
    Vitamin C 90 2,000 mg/day
    Vitamin D 5 50 mcg/day
    Vitamin E 15 1,000 mg/day
    Vitamin K 120 mcg/day
    Folate 400 1,000 mcg/day
    Vitamin B6 1.3 100 mg/day

20. free2fly

free2fly Members

oops, my last post was pointless, as I reread this thread and just now noticed that Advaya already gave the same information... [​IMG]