Visiting Central Florida - what to do? Yes, really.

Discussion in 'Florida' started by SunLion, Sep 20, 2012.

1. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I'll be in Central Florida (Kissimmee) the week of Sept 21-29 and wondering what there is to do. I have little interest in the tourist stuff. I mostly want to relax and watch sunsets and storms... that's what I loved best about Florida... I might bring some of my ham radio stuff to play with too. I'll be with my adult son and DIL.

There's an air show at Cocoa Beach on either Saturday or Sunday (Sept 22 and 23) that I really want to attend, so that will eat up about a day (the others are NOT interested). I also have family in Brevard County and hope to visit them too. Playalinda Beach would be a good stop too, I really loved the "wilderness" beach and seeing real bald eagles.

Over on the other coast, I've got an old dear friend I want to visit and jam with over around Tampa somewhere so that will burn another day.

If anyone has any ideas feel free to comment or msg me. I really don't have anything in common with much of anyone my age so just hanging at the resort bar or clubhouse or whatever sounds almost horrifying.

Maybe try to make a sidetrip to the Everglades to take one of those airboat rides, is that worth it? Are there any beaches open at night that are safe to walk alone? Wait I guess that question answers itself...

I used to sorta know Florida, spent a few months there in 1979, but I suspect some things might have changed a little :)

2. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

if your in cocoa beach then, check out: surfer's pub in cocoa beach. nice lil bar, only thing i know of cocoa beach.
    lou's blue's in indian harbour beach you probly would like that place
    go bar hopping in downtown melbourne
    um,, not really sure what else to do

3. ludvick87

ludvick87 Guest

The springs (rock spring or wakavia springs) are a great place to go plenty of nature walks you can go swimming fishing or canoeing. awesome place to take photos or just lay out and enjoy the scenery

4. MayQueen~420~

MayQueen~420~ ♫♪♫♪

^ Wekiwa Springs (I think that's how you spell it) is awesome!! I would say come chill with me and my old lady, but I just started working and I work from 12am -8:30pm. You should check out the House of Blues in Downtown Disney, they have some good food and cheap ticket prices.

5. sextant

sextant Member

I love our springs especially RainBow Spings & the Rainbow River !!

6. IGotMyAssBeatByAGirl

IGotMyAssBeatByAGirl Member

There's plenty of spots on Lake Monroe or Lake Jessup if you want to relax and watch sunsets and storms.

7. rhondaf43

rhondaf43 Member

Hi, I see you are saying you might be coming over to the Tampa area for a day, well if you have time come on out to Clearwater beach. Their are great places along the beach, Shepard's is a great place right on the beach and so many more places, also Clearwater beach was ranked top beach in the USA a year ago, it's a great beach beautiful sand and it's a big beach, have fun and enjoy.
    Rhondaf43

8. rhondaf43

rhondaf43 Member

I should have also told you, you will not find a better place to watch the sun go down, the sun sets are wonderful on Clearwater beach, enjoy.

Rhondaf43

9. april'saddict

april'saddict Guest

Daytona Beach is about an hour's drive from Orlando. We have stayed at the Hilton on the beach and I have walked there on the beach several times and felt quite safe even alone. There is a nice beach concert pier there as well as some shops, theater and restaurants.