Vintage Beach Books For Summer Reading

Discussion in 'Books' started by ZenKarma, Jul 27, 2017.

1. ZenKarma

ZenKarma Admin Staff Member Super Moderator

Vintage Beach Books for Summer Reading, what are you reading?

I crank through at least two books a week on the 7 inch android tablet... light as a feather and bright enough to sit out on the porch and read it in daylight.

At my advanced age I find that keeping the background black and the type whie (and large enough) I can actually sit out there and relax without glasses. I'd have to put them on to read anything printed in a 'real' book.

'Twas many years ago I got started on Summertime Beach (or seaside - or AT sea) Reading.

Tom Robbins was a favorite of our nightly reading group aboard Houseboat Tralfamadore in the Lagoon of St Thomas. We would gather around a kerosene lamp while bathed in the vapors of many mosquito coils as someone or another would read to us from 'Another Roadside Attraction,' amongst other well-worn paperbacks. Of course we had already listened to almost all of the Vonnegut oeuvre to that date (1973).

I've got a whole list of suggestions, how about you?

4 people like this.
  2. Ged

Ged One moment ago... HipForums Supporter

Anything by Richard Brautigan, both poetry and fiction. In particular I like "In Watermelon Sugar" and "The Abortion: an Historical Romance." Of course "Troutfishing in America" is a modern classic. I just love, love, love his writing.

3. ZenKarma

Howdy GED!

I forgot about Brautigan! Troutfishing in America was a summer read for me when I did the Backwoods Boogie with a friend... camped out of the back of a tiny Hatchback Datsun from Kentucky to the Rockies and down on thru the Sierras to end up at the coast of California.

Another classic from another summer was Mad Monks on the Road.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed and Confused Staff Member Super Moderator

I take it you're looking for novels?

I read very few novels, the only ones I could suggest would be the philosophical novels, Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Lila, both by Robert Pirsig.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Friar Turk

Friar Turk Dankin' and Tankin'

Lately, it has been difficult to actually finish anything. I'm not sure if this is a product of my own attention span narrowing or quickening, or perhaps it is the broader depth and scope of available literature. These books will apply to summer just as well as they will when I might have read them. For instance: Dean Koontz is not strictly beach literature. A warm and insulated cabin in the deep woods, covered with multiple meters of snow would suffice just as well as the white sands of Hawaii or the black sands of Argentina (perhaps this is vice versa). Never has there been any pulp of noir fiction in the last few decades to reach such certain heights of popularity while maintaining the integral fuel of dark independence which his unique genre of horror-mystery-shock sci-fi has contributed to the literary scene. Shadowlands or Breathless would be perfect for the beach, oceanside extravaganza, of reading.

The newest edition of Conde Naste.
    A copy of James Joyce "The Dubliners" may suffice for an ocean-side read. I always think of the Irish as skippers of the endless sea, and you might enjoy flipping through a short story from the famous collection while sipping on something with gin in it----or an irish cream drink chilled for a late summer affair (this particular savant to an Atlantic-Coast reading.) Whereas, the Pacific Coast may take to pina-colada and something by Timothy Leary, perhaps an autobiography or an essay from Ralph Feynman. An old screenplay from Jack Kerouac (I just looked at a recently published screenplay, discovered in 1994 no less).

Perhaps an original movie script or television production script from Buck Rogers, "V", or any of the Star Trek series, or Babylon V.

;

6. Ged

Ged One moment ago... HipForums Supporter

Playboy

7. Friar Turk

Friar Turk Dankin' and Tankin'

I have read Pirsig. The former volume. Not the latter. The book made me want to quit school and get a Harley or an Indian or a um, Kawasaki.

8. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed and Confused Staff Member Super Moderator

Lila is much better than Zen.

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice I Am Only An Egg Lifetime Supporter HipForums Supporter

If you haven't read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, now would be the perfect time.

1 person likes this.
  10. I always like new suggestions to read... I just finished reading The Beach... I'd like to get into another one...

11. ZenKarma

I am reading a book called "Dirt" and I'll post a review when finished. It's not a novel...