Views apprehension , optimism etc re Obama

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by IamnotaMan, Jan 20, 2009.

1. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

wouldn't be so bad if I wasnt paying for it.....

....but any reason to party is a great time for me. I've done my fair share. Just not for the same reason as most others.

2. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

:cheers2:

I voted a relief after Bush. At least he acknowledges shit, you know. The speech he gave today just gave me this feeling like... he gets it. Finally someone in power gets it! I don't know if I can clarify that...
    Work stopped today at the lab where I am currently interning and all of us gathered in the coffee break room from 11:15 to almost 1:00 watching the inauguration. There was a lot of sniffling and rustling of tissues. It was very emotional. While I am a very cynical person when it comes to politics, I am definitely feeling the glow.
    I hope so much that it lasts...

3. bettie rage

bettie rage Member

I voted that he will be good, but like the poll says, I am not expecting miracles. Obviously there isn't a "magic fairy president" that can just fix everything in the blink of an eye. I am excited to see what he can do, though. I watched the inauguration today at school and all day, I felt this electric sensation. Everyone at my school was being more kind than I think I've ever seen them, we gave each other hugs and just gathered around as people to watch, nothing more than that. Just students watching history unfold before them.
    Things need fixing, and it's going to take time, no doubt about it. But I have confidence.

Peace.

4. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

People are being manipulated with the same propaganda techniques the Nazis used. Old trick, new face.

5. IamnotaMan

IamnotaMan I am Thor. On sabba-tickle. Still available via us

I think the political system in most so called democracies is definitely full of shams and scams.

The real power blocs in America , think the country is currently up shit creek.So they dont wanna dirty their hands trying to solve the economy.They cant afford to invade Iran.So its "lets all play good cop".

Obama is ok in some ways... I think! But there'll be a powerful hand forcing him not to go certain ways.

6. McLeodGanja

McLeodGanja Banned

It says in the news he has requested a temporary suspension on Guantanamo Bay.

Request?

He's the fucking president, what about ORDERING a PERMANENT suspension?

7. IamnotaMan

He'd have to check constitutional shit , listen to media and national security advisers etc.
    But advisors can fuck up even the most well meaning of people ( was there ever one in politics??)

He seemed to say alot of right things.But any cock can do that.
    His attitude to Russia seemed very childish IMO tho.

8. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

hey, nice question. i've been wondering forever: why do we have a base in cuba? i mean, now. i don't understand. i don't see why it's necessary. it's not like it's in some bumfuq location and we can't see what they're doing there.

9. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

russian ships are on their way to the caribbean as we speak

(ok, they might have stopped for booze somewhere on the way I think I read)

10. IamnotaMan

Captain:Comrade Leonid - take an about turn back to duty free.I've left behind the chocolates that I bought for my Auntie.
    Number 2 in Command:But shouldn't we invade Guantanamo and destroy the decadent American imperialists - while our midget President Medvedev is locked in the toilet unable to reach the door?
    Captain: But is there a Gucci store in Cuba?I need some ties.
    Number 2: Niet Captain.
    Captain:Fuck it then!

11. mamaKCita

yeah, but honestly, is a base in cuba STRICTLY necessary now?

12. IamnotaMan

Well theyd say it was because Cuba was a Russian ally.
    But is an American base needed anywhere outside America?

Answer: Only if you insist on having a job that involves wearing a uniform and medals.
    ( Which is the reason why the generals etc insist on "jobs for the sake of jobs".
    The bases are unnecessary , inflammatory and will become pretty unaffordable in a "multipolar" world.

13. mamaKCita

well, they're closing bases in the usa, but keeping one that seems totally unnecessary to me open in a sovereign nation that wants it gone. it's not like we can't see what they're doing there and get there fast. it's like forcing a base on catalina island. an exaggeration, but fuck it.

14. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

I don't really have an opinion on that, I just report the news as I see it

15. IamnotaMan

Basically cos once a foreign base is gone , it could be a lot harder to reopen.And logistically bases are important for their foreign meddling.
    ( they ask to go thro Russia to get gear to Afghanistan)

Where's Catalina?
    I think a base on Fantasy Island would be good.General Ricardo Montalban :D

16. mamaKCita

i don't see why it would need to be reopened anyway. it's just a puddle jump from florida.

catalina is 26 miles off the coast of southern california.

17. IamnotaMan

I suppose its a symbolic defiance of Cuba , Russia and Communism.
    Plus there's prob eavesdropping facilities which wouldn't work from Florida.

Russia could do alot of damage from Cuba.Suitcase nukes , missiles , planes etc.
    But Russia has had to tolerate American bases on its doorstep for decades...

The sad thing is just how wasteful these silly arms races are.And you've got complete wankers shitstirring and making fortunes out of it all...

18. mamaKCita

i guess.