VHS vs DVD

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ayahuasca, Jun 3, 2006.

1. I liked VHS. I don't like the whole format of DVD's...the splash screen and everything. I liked having to sit through four or five previews before a movie started. It just seems more personal to me than DVDs. Plus you could tape on them. I was just thinking about how much fun it used to be to try and skip the commercials when recording a movie off of TV.

Slappy Woodstock and Dude111 like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah it was more satisfying watching the movie the following day with perfect pauses through adverts than it was to watch the movie that night.

3. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

you can throw dvds around like frisbee when they stop working or become irrelevant. i'd like to see you try doing that with a vhs tape.

the choice here is obvious.

4. storch

storch banned

I remember it well. About thirty years ago I recorded every comedian who went on the Tonight Show and David Letterman on one VHS tape on EP (extended play--6 hours). It was a collection of every comedian from that era. It was quite the collection, and could never be replaced.

I lent it to my sister in law. When she brought it back, I asked her what she thought of it. She said there was nothing on it--that it was blank. IT WAS BLANK! I learned a lot about forgiveness that day; specifically that I was not as good at it as I thought I was.

Asmodean likes this.
  5. OH man. People don't realize what they've got with their VHS recordings. I would pay a small fortune for the TNT edited version of the Breakfast Club.

Dude111 likes this.
  6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

One thing I dont like about VHS is how they have destroyed so many movies!!!!

For example: "Digitally mastered" ONLY ON THE VHS TAPE!!! -- Looks like garbage!!! -- They started to force that garbage on everyone!!!

Im sick of movies that were originally analogue being digitally molested!!! (VHS is analogue thankfully)

Its sickening!!!!!!! (And it was mostly done by US distributers)

7. Dude111

Ya thats a good place to get them...... Thats where I found ET recorded off ANALOG TV!! (Not even cable.. It was recorded OVER THE AIR from a local channel in my area....)

Unedited also........

Absolutely goregous!!

8. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I like DVD's because they were easier to deal with the VHS were you have to rewind but I have VHS's. Also they don't sell VHS's expect for thrift stores.

9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

VHS is a medium whose time has past

Bilby likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I got a laugh once when partner and my friend were in the dvd store and they have a tiny VHS bin and I said "oh these must be those new VHS I've been hearing about" like 2 people nearby laughed. :)

11. Lady Shadow

Lady Shadow Art is But a Shadow of the Divine Perfection

I am sick of buying stuff only for somebody to invent new stuff. 4K is the new big pain in the ass.

I still have a VCR and watch some old tapes here and there just for nostalgia and the fact that I had recorded so many movies on them years ago. Its amazing we spend like $10 for one movie on DVD when you can fit at least three movies on one VHS tape. If you can get past the quality and having to rewind they aren't all that bad.

12. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

13. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I like Blue Ray and DVD's

soulcompromise likes this.
  14. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't have a VCR and never have. My parents had one the whole time I was growing up though. I remember I used to tape Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles every day! I had entire tapes filled with hours of that show. It was one of my favorite things. I don't know why but neither of the two kids I was really good friends with got into them. We all liked G.I. Joe though... anyway. There. That's my tangent!

I like DVD and still have one. It doesn't play blue ray discs though.

15. quark

quark Parts Unknown

It's all about Beta Max and Laser Discs.

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Laser Discs... nostalgia with that. The only half-serious girlfriend I ever had had a wealthy father. He had a laser disc collection to be envied. We would hang out and watch them sometimes. They were massive discs! 12" actually. I thought they were bigger but I just looked it up...

17. Dude111

And videodiscs :)

18. Dude111

Yes i love it!!!!!!!!!

19. Devan Rojek

Devan Rojek Senior Member

There are pros and cons to either. Operation of analogue equipment such as the VCR seems much more straightforward and thus it's a definite perk, while the ever-present risk of the player eating the tape, not to mention the fast degradation rate of analogue tapes, are among the disadvantages. With a system such as the VCR, another advantage would be the ease of repair. There are no obscure computer chip that controls the important bits of the machine, so the repair procedure would, again, be much more straightforward.

Digital systems offer much cleaner recording and playback experience, and storing the data is also made easier since a DVD is much more compact and holds a lot more data than a VHS. You can either have a wall of VHS cassettes, or just a section of the wall dedicated to DVDs that contain the same amount of data. Serious disadvantages of anything digital, however, is that repairing a digital equipment can be a very complex and costly procedure. When I was in high school, my Walkman would malfunction and I'd fix it by simply opening it up and putting some parts back in their correct positions, and voila. If my Discman were to die, however, I wouldn't be able to use the same method to fix it. Also, digital equipment can be much more difficult to operate as well, depending on what you want to do with it(while it does make simple functions much simpler). On the other hand, it also offers many more functions than analogue does.

These days, though, I actually prefer BluRay over DVD, because BluRay holds more data.

20. Dude111

Yes but digi systems dont look as natural.... The video is often flat and disgusting..... I would much rather have a beautiful clear analogue picture anyday :)